1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

# of HD and SD receivers on a AT-9?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by rmonio, Sep 16, 2009.

1. rmonio

rmonio Cool Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Just curious - what is the mixture of receivers (permutations) I'm allowed on an AT-9 Dish?

-Bob

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    With suitable multiswitches, there's no practical limit. The dish alone has four outputs, and appropriate combinations of Zinwell WB68 or WB616 multiswitches can extend that to many more. It doesn't matter if the Receivers are SD, HD, or even 15 years old.

What are you trying to do?

3. rmonio

rmonio Cool Member

Apr 19, 2006
    I have 4 cables coming in from my dish. I have 2 HD receivers already attached and one SD. In adding the 4th HD unit I get no signal on the line. I'm trying to figure out if it is just the line - or if I can only have so many installed on the dish in combination.

I will test the line again - but it has worked before when I've switched things around so I'm wondering it's just a quirk.

Is there any way to shut down the power to the dish so the LNBs reset and I can start fresh?

-Bob

4. litzdog911

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    The dish LNB is powered by your Receivers. Connecting a fourth receiver should work fine. I assume you're connecting directly to the dish's fourth (unused) output? Do you also have a ground block? Check the coax connectors to be sure they're properly installed (no stray shield wires, proper center conductor length, etc).

5. rmonio

rmonio Cool Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Thanks for the feedback. I still could not get the 4th receiver to work - I was forced to unplug all of the receivers and restart. What I noticed was that my old A55 Sony complained about a short in the wiring. Interestingly enough, as long as I have only 3 plugged in - they work fine. But I can never get a 4th to work and when I use the two H20's and the one H21 and then plug in the old A55, that is when the A55 complains about the short.

Any idea where the short might be?

Should I have DirecTv out to look at it?

-Bob

6. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    What kind of multiswitch do you have (if any)?

Understand that the dish itself will only drive up to four tuners (two DVRs).

Do you have the requisite BBC(s) on the fourth receiver?

Are you trying to use a splitter or a diplexer anywhere?

7. litzdog911

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    So is your Sony A55 the "new" Receiver that you're trying to set up? That's a pretty old Receiver. Maybe it's defective. Have you tried one of your good Receivers using your new coax cable connection to rule out a problem with that cable and its connectors?

8. rmonio

rmonio Cool Member

Apr 19, 2006
    No, the new receiver I'm trying to add is an H20 unit. The A55 has been in the mix since my original installation many years ago.

I have moved receivers among the cables and I'm only able to get 3 receivers working at any given time. The A55 is the only one that reports the short if I have the other 3 (2 H20's, H21) up and running and I then connect it. If it is already running and I connect up the others, then one of those do not work and the A55 runs fine. (the A55 does not use a BBC as it is SD)

As for Diplexers, splitters, etc... I don't believe there is anything out there as it is just the Dish that DirecTv installed when they were doing the HD LIL upgrades several years ago.

Thoughts?

(Thanks for the help!)

-Bob

9. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I'd say that the A55 has gone into the graveyard orbit.

On second thought, there is a link on Google about the A55 not liking modern switchgear.

Unless you can't live without the serial port, I'd retire the A55.

10. rmonio

rmonio Cool Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Ok. But the A55 still works fine right now. I don't think that explains why I'm seeing the short. What would I look for on something like that?

11. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    I think I'm following all the tests you've run (sounds like a good set), so I'd like to double check one thing.

If you add the A55 last, does it matter which line it's on? Does it always show short on different lines?

I've heard of cases where an LNB has problems with the 4th line, tho I thought it was always one port.

Do you have the protection plan? You're getting close to wanting to replace either dish or receiver.

Good luck,
    Tom

12. rmonio

rmonio Cool Member

Apr 19, 2006
    No, I don't have the protection plan. Do the Dishes go bad like that?

13. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Yes, tho my sense is very rarely. More often receivers go bad first. More moving parts (the hard drives on DVRs for instance.)

Good luck,
    Tom

14. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Swapping receivers from location to location may help isolate a problem with the receivers. If the A55 senses a short anywhere you plug it in, it is the problem.

It may be an old wive's tale, but I'd make sure that the A55 is not on output #1 of the LNB.

Testing the receivers on someone else's system would take LNB and cabling issues out of the diagnostic equation.

This whole process probably isn't going to net you a positive result if you have already decided that any one receiver can't possibly be the problem. Age or usage means almost nothing and partial failures are nonetheless failures.

15. taz291819

taz291819 Godfather

Oct 18, 2006
    You do have a B-Band converter for the new H20, right?

16. rmonio

rmonio Cool Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Yes, I do have new BBC's in-place.

As far as the A55 is concerned, it senses the short when I plug it in as the last receiver (after the H20's and H21).

All of the cables work fine - by themselves with a receiver - or in the mix - up to 3 receivers plugged in. Net/Net this is what I see:
    - 3 receivers (H20, H20, H21). Add the 4th (A55) and it finds a short.
    - 3 receivers (A55, H20, H21). Add the 4th (H20) and it will not get a signal from the LNBs.

Is this a short in the switch or dish?

Thanks!

17. rmonio

rmonio Cool Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Any more ideas?

Thanks!

-Bob

18. sunoff

sunoff New Member

Jun 1, 2008
    Yes. AT9 sucks balls. Please call and get a (more likely than not) free dish upgrade. --get a free hdvr at the same time hopefully--You had HD in the beginning... they will take care of you...usually... if you simply call for a service call, I probably wouldnt have a dish on my truck, unless..I saw 4 lines coming down and felt generous. then maybe

19. litzdog911

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    More ideas for what?

You're not using a standalone multiswitch, right? With four Receivers and four dish outputs, you don't need a multiswitch.

Your only practical option at this point, assuming you're 100% sure the coax cabling and connectors are good, is to replace the dish.

20. MrShowtime

MrShowtime Legend

Apr 8, 2009
    i dont know what region you work in, but we have to swap out AT9s on sight on service calls. I don't understand what you mean by "feeling generous". It takes a whole 15 minutes to swap an AT9 for an AU9.