1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Offered 3-Month Trial of "Ultimate" Package

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by B. Shoe, May 16, 2018.

1. B. Shoe

B. Shoe Mentor

Apr 3, 2008
    Illinois
    Received a phone call from D* today, offering me what equated to a free 3-month upgrade to the "Ultimate" package. Turn on the channels included in Ultimate, receive a $11/mo. discount for three months, and an additional $7.49/mo. discount for three months. I asked the CSR if I was being discounted my monthly regional sports fee, to which she said "yes, that's correct."

I'm currently at the Xtra package, so regardless if I don't actually receive the $7.49 discount, I'm not really out any extra cash. I went ahead and accepted the offer, and put a reminder in my calendar for just shy of three months from now to cancel the package upgrade. (It also falls right at the time of my contract expiration, which is good timing.) At that point, I'll renegotiate to drop from Xtra to Choice, and pick up Starz.

I added in the Ultimate channels into my custom "Favorites" guide, and asked myself, "Why does the Ultimate package even exist?" Most of the channels included are SD-only, and I have little use to watch anything in SD these days. It equates to an upgrade for four HD channels, which even at my current price point seems like a lot for an additional $11/mo.

I know it's a big jump up from Xtra to Premiere, but do a lot of people keep this Ultimate package? And if you do, do you have any other premiums on top of that?

2. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    Ultimate is mainly encore and movie channel + a few more. Also had NHL net for some time before it when back down to Xtra.

Also had chiller + a few other killed off channels.

B. Shoe likes this.
  3. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Movie channel comes with Showtime. So it may or may not be an upgrade for Premier. Have to look at the Showtime cost too as that goes away.

Ultimate gives 4K so that's part of the popularity.

Be sure to mark your calendar to call on day 90 to cancel this, if you don't want it. Those credits fall off immediately if you don't.

B. Shoe likes this.