Official 811 Users Question & Comment Thread

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Nick, Dec 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dec 9, 2003 #1 of 656
    Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Looks like everyone is posting their 811 comments or questions in many different threads. Some of the same questions are being asked over and over in diverse places. Let's try to pull all the 811 info together into a comprehensive thread so everything pertaining to the Dish 811 HD receiver will be in one place and we won't miss anything.

This is the place to post 811 user comments, questions, complaints and, yes, bug reports.

2. Dec 9, 2003 #2 of 656
    Neutron

Neutron Banned User

Oct 2, 2003

Biggest Complaint? Aspect issue. Next, TOSLink on ALL the time (no sound when receiver off, but it still produces the red light) Since my AV receiver has only one digital input but has both coax and TOSlink, with the 811 sending something through, it makes the AV receiver not allow my DVD player's sound through the coax. The 6000 and 510 were never a problem like this.

3. Dec 9, 2003 #3 of 656
    Cyclone

Cyclone Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 1, 2002
    Nobody has posted any screenshots of the 811 in action.

4. Dec 10, 2003 #4 of 656
    Nick

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Currently on the 811 you cannot modify the "All Channels" or the "All Sub" lists. This is not a bug, it is a 'negative feature' which should be corrected in a future s/w d/l. You can set up a "Favorites" list which excludes all the channels you don't want to see in your guide.

5. Dec 10, 2003 #5 of 656
    RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Nick, my 50X recevers and 6000 acted the same way, those were two lists that you can't change, so it's a WAD (working as designed). Now if they can just fix the bug in the favorites list that limits the total number of channels you can have in the user favorites list.

6. Dec 10, 2003 #6 of 656
    Chuck Updyke

Chuck Updyke New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Has anyone had trouble getting the 811 to add OTA Digital channels? I go to add digital channel screen & it shows
    green signal bar but will not store the channel. Same channel works fine off 6000 & same antenna.
    When I do a channel scan if does not find the channel

7. Dec 10, 2003 #7 of 656
    RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    When you get the green bar is a channel number also showing up on that screen or is it blank? If it's blank the 811 doesn't think that it's seeing a PSIP channel and won't add it. Did you upgrade from a 6000 and did it work then but not on the 811?

8. Dec 10, 2003 #8 of 656
    Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    What type of DVI-D connector does the 811 have? Does it require a male end cable? Any suggestions on where to get a good quaility DVI-D single link cable?

One more thought here... Since the 811 has inputs that will allow you to feed a DVD into it, would this be a good way to calibrate your TV for your 811. Feed a DVD cable with AVIA running through the 811 to calibrate. Does this make sense or is there other ways?

9. Dec 10, 2003 #9 of 656
    HTguy

HTguy Icon

May 6, 2002
    Yes, I discovered that the 811 isn't ready to "add" digital channels. I prefer to add the digital channels manually and name them by call letters that appear in the EPG. I tried to do this initially. The 811 showed the list I created on the "Local Channels" list and even in the EPG. But if any of the channels were selected they would not come up and the signal strength read "0%" in the view banner.

When I scanned all the channels came in and worked normally.

Evidently the "Add Channels" software hasn't come in yet.

10. Dec 10, 2003 #10 of 656
    ddeeble

ddeeble New Member

Oct 29, 2003
    I was able to both scan and manually add my digital OTA channels just fine. Did a scan first, changed the labels to CBS, ABC, etc... and then added the two channels manually that did not appear in the scan. They went in just fine and I can view them all from the EPG with between 75-85% signal. Maybe the trick is to scan first, then do a manual add?

11. Dec 10, 2003 #11 of 656
    Nick

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    That's a great idea except for one thing -- the video inputs on the 811 are composite. Otherwise, I would love to be able to use an Avia disk to tweak my 811 input to TV.

Anyone know a channel/program source to get a tweak screen into and out of an 811 through DVI/component outs.

My solution: Why doesn't E* give us 10-15 min of HD tweak screens (loop) on ch 9425 or, on ch 9443 after 12:00 midnight?

12. Dec 10, 2003 #12 of 656
    RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Samsung sells a reasonably priced DVD player that has DVI connection for its output.

13. Dec 10, 2003 #13 of 656
    Nick

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    That's good information, Rad, but how does that help us tweak our monitors using the 811 input, whether DVI or component ins.

14. Dec 10, 2003 #14 of 656
    PoppaNovember

PoppaNovember Cool Member

Nov 26, 2003
    My 811 was installed yesterday. Long-ish BLOG follows:

INSTALLATION

It was pretty evident that this was the tech's first 811 install. He hooked the box up and checked the signals, but the box didn't seem to want to start the initial download even though I had a pretty good signal on both 119 and 110. So, after a brief consult w/dish, he replaced both of my ancient SW-21 switches and all of the outside connectors. Still, the unit wouldn't download.

The tech is about ready to give up, and even calls dish to suggest a re-schedule with another box, but just as he's about to throw in the towel the download starts. Good thing too, because I'd have been pissed about wasting a day off from work for this install.

To this point, the tech had only hooked up the S vid cable, and hadn't put the component cable on (my TV only has component HD). The tech is now 3 hours into this install, and clearly ready to leave. He has me sign the paperwork and splits after a perfunctory check of the system, and no explanation of how the HD functions work for satellite and OTA stations. I let him leave though because I'd rather just figure the thing out myself anyway. Expecially considering that the tech didn't even know that the HD package was available on 110.

All told, the install was a fairly frustrating, but ultimately successful experience, plus I ended up getting my outside connections overhauled + 2 new switches as a bonus.

USING THE 811

Once the unit was up and running, I found it to be quite user friendly. The guide is fast, although the split mode for the guide seems to fail a lot. The remote worked fine for me. I was able to program it to operate my TV, audio reciever, and VCR with minimal loss of commonly used remote commands.

The OTA digital and analog search was simple. I found 8 OTA digital channels using my rooftop fishbone antenna. My reception goes from 40 % to 90+ % signal strength. I'm getting the ABC, FOX, CBS, NBC and UPN stations in the DC area, but oddly I'm not getting the local PBS station.

I wasn't happy with the sound I was getting from the OTA analog channels, plus the 811 isn't displaying the show titles that get broadcasted with the analog signals. Finally, the system froze up when I was switching back and forth between analog and digital. Consequently, I ended up deleting all of the analog channels from the 811 list. I'll continue to watch the analog through my direct antenna feed and save the 811 for the ota digital locals. I was hoping, though, to find a way to have show titles appear in the program guide for the ota digital channels. I'm sure they are broadcast with the digital signal.

The Dish HD channels are phenomenal - especially Discovery HD. I never thought I'd be so enthralled by the "Rivers of Canada". Hockey looks good on HDNET, and the movies on HDNET movie look good as well, but the movie selection so far is of no interest to me. My wife was underwhelmed with the picture of her Arizona basketball game on ESPNHD until I put the non-HD version of the game in the PIP and flipped back and forth. Once she saw the difference, she was convinced.

Other than the one system freeze, that seemed to be related to OTA analog, my only mishap was a temporary loss of digital audio. The only way I was able to get the audio back was to unplug the unit.

HERE'S THE BEEF

Just a couple of design beefs: I would have liked to see a component video feed-through on the 811, because now I have no HD slot available on my TV for my XBOX since I only have 2 and I'm using the other one for my DVD - gonna have to buy an external switch. And I could have used one more AUX device function on the remote so I could control my DVD player.

On the software side, I'd like to see the split mode channel guide work more often - the current channel video often doesn't want to load. Plus I'd like to be able to switch from wide-screen back to full screen on occasion - the full screen selection in the HD menu setting won't switch off of wide screen.

SURVEY SAYS

Overall, I'm very happy with the 811. $149 well spent!

15. Dec 10, 2003 #15 of 656
    RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Because you said that I would love to be able to use an Avia disk to tweak my 811 input to TV. which I took to mean that you wanted to set you DVI input on your set using your Avia disk.

16. Dec 10, 2003 #16 of 656
    LarryH

LarryH Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 10, 2002
    Here are the changes I would like to see:

1) Add aspect stretch modes for SD content
    2) Expand guide to be 16:9 (currently 4:3)
    3) Buffer more than four hours of guide data (if possible)
    4) Auto-refresh the guide data and video window so guide is available immediately
    5) Increase size of favorites list (I currently can only use about 3 of the 4 labels)
    6) Fix periodic audio drop outs (loses audio on both RCA & TOSLINK, reboot fixes?)
    7) Add OpenTV (ch 100)
    8) Add Instant Weather (ch 9500)
    9) Add separate PPV locks option (like 501)
    10) Remove the 2-layer channel guide for OTA channels that use only 1 subchannel. Currently, each OTA channel offers 4 subchannels, but I usually only watch 1 of the 4 (the other 3 are removed in my favorites list). Since I only watch one subchannel per OTA channel, it's seems weird to have to select the same channel twice. The current guide behavior can be preserved for people who add multiple subchannels per OTA channel.

17. Dec 10, 2003 #17 of 656
    Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    Well the composite video is upcast and pumped through the DVI and component... I guess this might not provide a accurate source material? Damn.. thought this would be a nice side benifit to the two additional inputs.

18. Dec 10, 2003 #18 of 656
    Chuck Updyke

Chuck Updyke New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    xx

19. Dec 10, 2003 #19 of 656
    Chuck Updyke

Chuck Updyke New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    No the channel # is not showing up in the lower box on add DTV screen

Yes I did upgrade & works fine on the 6000 however I went through a period on the 6000 where it dumped the stored channel & it would still show up on the signal bar in the manual add DTV screen & would not store it. After a recent software download it started working again on the 6000
    I have tried the scan on the 811& it does not pick it up,

20. Dec 10, 2003 #20 of 656
    lionsrule

lionsrule Godfather

Nov 25, 2003
    If you have an 811 by now you know that the aspect ratio is locked on 16x9. What that means for me: Hd channels come through in "full-screen" (still looks great) and all other sd channels are "cropped". Essentially, the 811 is currently only of use for the 4 hd channels....don't even bother trying to view all other channels. Dish explains that they are aware of the problem and hope to fix it "soon" via a software upgrade. Luckily for me, I still have my 510 attached to the same TV. Seems like kinda a ripoff that I paid 150 for a HD receiver that is literally limited to the HD channels only!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.