1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official Merger Rejection Thread

Discussion in 'General Satellite Discussion' started by Scott Greczkowski, Oct 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski Banned User

Mar 21, 2002
  2. Scott Greczkowski

Mar 21, 2002
    Now even though the FCC has denied it, if the DOJ approves the merger then Echostar and DirecTV can ask to have their application re-opened.

So don't consider the merger dead yet, it's just in critical condition. :)

3. RichW

RichW Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 29, 2002
    The merger, as proposed, will be blocked, but other sources say that revised palns are being submitted which would foster another DBS competitor.

It could be that Charlie is down, but not out.

4. guest

guest Guest

The merger is effectively dead- it won't happen. News Corp will probably end up with Hughes.

5. Charles Oliva

Charles Oliva Godfather

Apr 22, 2002
    More like the Doc has turned off life support, and the Priest has been called. :D

6. bogi

bogi Godfather

Apr 2, 2002
    Its a good job on behalf of Powell. I might have been wrong about him.

7. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Earlier stories indicated that they might review changes. Was this mentioned at all?

8. Mike123abc

Mike123abc Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 19, 2002
    WSJ reports that comissioners said that proposed revisions were "too little, too late". It now goes to a judge. Even with all this, I bet it still takes a couple months before E* gives up.

9. LadyTalia

LadyTalia AllStar

Oct 4, 2002

10. blingbling

blingbling Godfather

Sep 6, 2002
    CNBC reported that the FCC has not blocked a merger since 1969 and rarely do they announce before DOJ. Apparently this merger was DOA months ago.

11. Mike123abc

Mike123abc Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 19, 2002
    The FCC really needs to upgrade their servers, I still cannot pull the official docs out about the merger rejection... The server has probably melted with all the DBStalk people rushing over there to read what they said.

12. Scott Greczkowski

Mar 21, 2002
    I am at work and have my XM Satellite radio here, I have been flipping between CNN/FN Bloomberg, CNBC, CNET and BBC World, I have been hearing a lot of interesting comments about this.

Apparently one of the reporters talked to people at the FCC when the merger was announced and he said then everyone at the FCC already considered the merger dead.

I believe it was BBC who said that Echostar is already looking to file lawsuits over this.

It should be interesting.

I wonder if Mondays Charlie Chat will be postponed. :)

13. Scott Greczkowski

Mar 21, 2002
  14. Coming soon: The Echostar/Expressvu Joint Operating Agreement

See - some thought Charlie had no backup plan - now he'll pull the NIMIQ deal out of his pocket. "Charlie to lease 16 NIMIQ 1 transponders from Telesat @ 82degrees"

15. Curtis0620

Curtis0620 Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    82 cannot be used for US DBS. So big deal.

16. Scott Greczkowski

Mar 21, 2002
    Actually I just heard from someone who claims to work for Echostar.

Looks like Charlie has another card up his sleave that he has not played yet. From what I know Charlies plan may have the folks at Cablevision smiling from ear to ear.

From what I am hearing this is long before being dead.

17. Curtis0620

Curtis0620 Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Looks like he held that card a little too long. The deal is dead.

Sorry Charlie.

18. Martyva

Martyva Guest DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    Depending on your political view we, as a country are a Republic (sometimes called a representitive Democracy). The will of the people is to be enforced by those we elect as long as it does not infringe on the rights of the few. In this case urban areas lost nothing rural areas lost everything--locals, HDTV and high speed internet. A sad day

19. Gemini365i

Gemini365i AllStar

Sep 7, 2002
    YESSSSSSSSS!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.