1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oh No! I lost my free Showtime!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Mark Holtz, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    Well, look like my year is up. No more free Showtime for me.

Yippee!

2. cadet502

cadet502 FHNSAB DBSTalk Club

Jun 17, 2005
    So it just went away, they didn't make you cancel? I'm up in a month or so. Probably watched an entire 3 hours in 10 months.

3. FenixTX

FenixTX Godfather

Nov 11, 2005
    Just realized today that I have showtime free for three months. How did that happen?

4. Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus You make it, We break it

Oct 16, 2006
    This is a common "thank you" gift or "thank you for your feedback" gift.

Any correspondences with DirecTV lately?

5. Movieman

Movieman Hall Of Fame

May 8, 2009
    From your post I dont know if you care to get it back but if you call them they might be able to work with you. I like the programming personally. Nurse Jackie, The Tudors, etc. Not too bad.

6. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    Ditto.

7. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    I got three months last year on my anniversary. The problem was I didn't find out about it until one month had passed. This also went away all by itself.

8. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    I had 2 mo's of Showtime free and when it was up, it did not start billing. My receiver just started showing the "Not Authorized" message.

I renewed it since I watch "Nurse Jackie" played by Edie Falco, formerly in the Sopranos. Also enjoy "Inside the NFL" & "Dexter" and both have new seasons starting in September. Out of the premiums D* offers, I prefer Showtime because all the channels are in HD and I enjoy their original programming.

9. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    And next month "Dexter"!

10. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    If it were not for True Blood and Hung on HBO...I would only choose Showtime for Nurse Jackie films in their OAR.

11. JerryElbow

JerryElbow Legend

Jun 14, 2007
    How many years do you have to be with DirecTV to start getting anniversary gifts like this? I'm coming up on the 2-year mark and wonder if I will be getting anything or waiting for the 5-year or 10-year mark or whatever.

Having just watched the DVDs of Seasons 1 and 2 and the Blu-Rays of Season 3 of Dexter, I would NOT mind watching Season 4 "live", though that's about all I've found on Showtime that interests me.

12. ThePrisoner

ThePrisoner Legend

Jul 11, 2009
    I signed on with Directv in JUne. They gave me 3 months of HBO, Showtime & Starz. When my free period is up will they shut off or do I have to remove them from my account on their website?

13. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    - You have to take them off or they will be billed at the current rate.
    - You'll have to call in to take them off.

14. Spicoli

Spicoli This is only a test...

Jun 7, 2006
    I also have free Showtime for 3 months as a gift from D.
    I received a card in the mail and it said "For being a valued DirecTv customer..."

15. dhkinil

dhkinil Icon

Dec 17, 2006
    I lost my showtime last night, interestingly I also lost access to things I downloaded, but via on demand, but not things saved on the dvr. Nonetheless, i will reup next summer to download and store tara and Nurse Jackie on the HDD of my dvd recorder. Won't be inn HD, but the picture is still very good when recorded in highest PQ.

16. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    Heh.... I checked my account online for any special programming offers.... and noticed that I still had the showtime package. Checked my DVR.... yup, those channels are active again.

17. islesfan

islesfan Hall Of Fame

Oct 18, 2006
    Nevada
    I'm a huge Dexter fan (and by the way, the 4th book drops on Tuesday!!!!). With that said, however, we have had 4 months of free Showtime, and Dexter is the only thing I could bring myself to watch. The movie selection was awful. Really awful. Oh, I forgot, I started watching Penn & Teller, and while that was fun, I won't miss it.

For series (outside of Dexter, of course) they cannot compete with HBO (True Blood, No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency, etc.). HBO isn't Starz for movies, but as a compromise, at least they get a few watchable movies a month.

I like the Showtime on Demand and all the HD, but if there's nothing to watch, the HD doesn't really matter.

Much cheaper to just buy the Dexter DVD's.