1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ok, one last time before I return this thing!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by dshu82, Oct 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oct 8, 2007 #1 of 23
    dshu82

dshu82 Icon

Jul 6, 2007
    Day 3: Have now reset the HR20 three times since I have been home from work (not inlcuding the reset it did when I turned it on!)

I have tried everything in this forum, but figure I would ask one more time before calling D* and getting them to send me a replacement.

Have had the typical symptoms: Freeze video, still has sound. Cannot get any buttons on remote to work for Menu Reset, so have had to resort to red button each time.

Sucessfully downloaded ox18a on Saturday.

Have checked all connections, tuners, etc.

Purchaed ups today and have it hooked up.

Have two H20's in the house that work flawlessly, including in the location where HR20 is currently.

Thanks to all who responded to prior posts, but I really need someone to talk me off the ledge right now..... or at least keep me from throwing it out my window!

2. Oct 8, 2007 #2 of 23
    al2

al2 Legend

Aug 27, 2007
    Just call tech support and get a replacement. Thats what I did. Took 2 days to get the replacement.

3. Oct 8, 2007 #3 of 23
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Sorry to hear about your troubles, but the time has come. Replacement time, that is.

4. Oct 8, 2007 #4 of 23
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    If you've already done the "reset everything" from the setup menu then call D* and have them send out a replacement.

5. Oct 8, 2007 #5 of 23
    Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    You didn't list it...

But do you have it connected to a network connection?
    If so... pull the network connection

6. Oct 9, 2007 #6 of 23
    dshu82

dshu82 Icon

Jul 6, 2007
    No network connection and have done a full reset from Menu back on Sunday.

Thanks guys... it is time.

7. Oct 9, 2007 #7 of 23
    surfbird

surfbird Legend

Sep 9, 2006
    reformat hard drive is different from reset everything.. have someone walk u thru it.. if it locks up during it.. bye bye & hello new one.. PP comes in handy for this.. meaning after the first 30 days no dh & noe commitment extended.. yeh yeh I hear it all the time.. but PP is beneficial also for unlimited dish alignments also..

8. Oct 9, 2007 #8 of 23
    perkolater

perkolater Mentor

Sep 6, 2006
    Good luck with getting a replacement.

I have two HR20-100s, and will soon be on my 5th unit. The first couple that needed to be replaced went well. I called DTV and described the issues I was having and they walked me through the usual steps (RBR, Reformat etc) and then agreed to send replacements.

The next time they said they had to send a Tech out to the house before they would send a replacment. The tech arrived 10 days later, ran the same tests I did and then ordered a replacement that came two days later. This replacement was a refurb unit that made a horrible buzzing noise any time it was plugged in, but it did work for a week or so when it began locking up.

I called yesterday to have that unit replaced again, they said they couldn't replace it without sending a tech out again. :mad:

At that point I had reached my limit. NFL sunday ticket or not, I am sending DTV too much money every month to NOT be able to enjoy the services I am paying for. I try to be understanding, but now they are making it difficult for me to even get their defective equipment replaced? They want me to take time off of work for a tech to come push the Red button and then order a replacement AGAIN? I've had several of these boxes replaced....trust me I KNOW their "troubleshooting" procedure by heart now.

I asked them to cancel my service and was transferred to retention. I asked him to cancel my service and was informed of the early termination fee which I agreed to pay. They then offered to send me a NEW receiver rather than a refurb. I agreed one last time.

There are obvious problems with these boxes and now DTV is making it difficult to get them replaced?

It's a shame, I've been with DTV for 12 years, and have been happy. I can uderstand "growing pains" with new hardware, but making your customers jump through unneccessary hoops to get defective hardware replaced is too much.

Why is DTV making it so difficult? Why do I have to cancel my service in order to get a replacement unit?

I'll miss the NFL sunday ticket, and the new HD channels that I have been waiting for for a long time but if DTV insists on backing up faulty equipment with bad customer service it will be time to look elsewhere.

I hope your experience is better than mine.

Good luck.

9. Oct 9, 2007 #9 of 23
    surfbird

surfbird Legend

Sep 9, 2006
    hey sorry about your luck.. have it escalatated to the new team.. case management.. just out this week..they will call you back & investigate your issues.. This is a new team that should be able to spend more time on your case that Retention.. I guess they are the "back up crew" to really investigate some issues.. & I hope they work out.. we need some back up sometimes..

If the rep doesnt know about this have them ask their team lead, the tl will know what to do to assist.. Good luck, ok..

10. Lord Vader

Lord Vader Supreme Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    You should never have agreed to pay an early termination fee! If they are not fulfilling their end of the service agreement, which they are not, you have the right to walk away without penalty.

11. perkolater

perkolater Mentor

Sep 6, 2006
    I sincerely hope that I will never have to use the "case management team", but
    Thank you very much for the tip.

12. surfbird

surfbird Legend

Sep 9, 2006
    Well, it is new.. I don't know anything about how well it works yet.. I hope it is a great accomplishment for dtv & help.. I really do.. I know how frustrating it is for me not to come up w/a solution & the best I can usually do Is calm you down & offer more assistance..

13. Chilli_Dog

Chilli_Dog AllStar

Dec 26, 2005
    I've got 3 HR20s. Two have been flawless, one has had problems. Going through normal D* support, I received two refurbs in an attempt to replace the defective receiver. First refurb had a bad tuner. Second would literally lock up hard every 15 minutes. When I called D* back, they said "wow, you must have an issue at that location in the house". I told them I was 99% sure this wasn't the case. It's a fairly new house, had other receivers there before with no problem, etc. They then referred me to "case management".

So, I've been working with the case management for a week. And, to my surprise, it has been a very pleasant experience. The person I'm working with is extremely knowledgeable, which is a nice change of pace from main line support. They did a good job of troubleshooting, and determined that the refurbs were indeed defective. They're even having me send one of the refurbs back to engineering for a closer look. I was also able to get a "new" receiver instead of another refurb -- and it is working flawlessly.

On a scale of 1 to 10, I would give my experience with case management a 10. I've had no issues whatsoever with them, and they got me back up and running in a reasonable amount of time. They also called me back every time they promised to, even when I requested they call at 6:30am (before I go to work). D* has done a wonderful job in setting up this team.

Now, whoever is responsible for testing the refurbs should be smacked around a little bit, but that's another story... :D

14. dshu82

dshu82 Icon

Jul 6, 2007
    Recieved a reconditioned HR 20-100 late Friday afternoon as replacement for the "new" HR20 700. Has been flawless (knock on wood)! Not one RBR through a heavy weekend of football and sports. Guess it was time, and my faith in the HR20 has been temporarily restored. We will see how it does with recording all my shows this week....

15. badgerdave

badgerdave Legend

Dec 15, 2006
    I had a call from the case management crew on Sunday who are sending me a new receiver (for the 2nd time) because the rerurbed unit didn't fix my problems. They seem more knowledgeable than the standard CSRs, but they are still reading from a script to some extent.

16. jmntn2000

jmntn2000 Cool Member

Oct 11, 2007
    Just out of curiosity is everyone that is getting D* to send replacement units have the protection plan? If not, is it hard to get a replacement after a certain amount of time?

17. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    I haven't had one replaced in a long time, but since they are leased, if I did need one replaced, the "worst" would be to pay the $20 shipping without "the plan". The first CSR I talk to might not want to, but before I got off the phone, I'm sure I could find someone that would. IMO

18. badgerdave

badgerdave Legend

Dec 15, 2006
    No protection plan for me--but I do have their most expensive programing tier + PBTV and always have about four sports packages each year. I don't think I'm a customer that they want to lose.

19. kki000

kki000 Cool Member

Oct 12, 2007
    Has anyone had a refurb work?
    My first hr20 was a refurb, thought it was only fair since it was due to my dying hr10.
    The refurb had a small problem, it didnt like to turn on. It wouldnt even go into the super secret support mode.
    They sent a tech, then sent a new unit out 5 days later.
    Wonder how much money d* has lost on these refurbs in both tech hours and lost customers.

20. JDubbs413

JDubbs413 Icon

Sep 4, 2007
    My refurb HR20-700 works much much better than my original brand new HR20-700.

DirecTV is having significant issues with the HR20 and also a good percentage of the refurb population is faulty. It is an art in progress and something that should clear up a little more over the next few months into next year. I expect to see them weed out a lot of the buggy ones.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.