Okay, riddle me this Batman.....

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - HMC PC Playback Discussion (private)' started by tfederov, Mar 16, 2008.

1. tfederov

tfederov Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    I'm going back through watching some shows that have locked up on me before with Task Manager running in the foreground so I can see what's happening. Every time there's a lockup or hesitation, DirecTV.exe drops to 2% CPU and System Idle Process jumps to upper 80 / lower 90% range.

Is there a quality of service or something the developers can put into the viewer software itself to lock in a certain percentage of CPU processing? HD shows look to be about 40-50% when everything is running fine, SD shows mid 20's.

Hope this helps. I used MusiCares Presents Brian Wilson (HD Net) and Caddyshack (awesome movie, HBO SD).

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    That's a good idea, Tony, but I'm not sure that Windows operating systems can accept a request of that type.

3. tfederov

Nov 18, 2005
    It's the only thing I have to explain why it hangs when it does.

4. tfederov

Nov 18, 2005
    Update: I talked to a couple of Windows Sys Admins at work today. I asked about QoS and there is a way to up it by right clicking the process and setting the priority. Even after setting it to the highest priority, it would still drop to the single digits (CPU utilization percentage). Moral of the story, I can bump the priority all I want but something else is killing utilization. When it drops, system idle jumps so my gut says there isn't another process killing my machine.