Old DirecTV Tivo Receiver

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by KsBillsFan, Oct 24, 2009.

1. KsBillsFan

KsBillsFan AllStar

Oct 16, 2009
    Had DT installed yesterday. The installer said to look on eBay for the old Tivo DVR's to buy. That it would be safe to buy one, as they were all sold to DT customers and they work great. But if I remember right, they don't do HD, so that wouldn't help me much. But would be good for my one Non-HDTV. Is he right that they are all customer owned and work good?

2. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Some will be owned units, although I some were leased. When looking on ebay, get the receiver ID and then contact the DirecTV Access Card department. They can tell you if a receiver is owned or leased and whether it has any outstanding balance. Obviously, if it is one of the latter two, you do not want to bid on it. The same would go for any of the DirecTV+ units as well (R15/16/22, HR2x).

And you're right about the HD-Tivo units not really getting any HD channels. Most of DirecTV HD channels are MPEG-4, while the Tivo units are MPEG-2 capable.

One thing to consider, if you do not have the Protection Plan and the receiver goes bad, DirecTV will replace it with a comparable model for free (plus shipping), but the new receiver will be a lease. In the past it would also entail a two year commitment, but we're now hearing that the commitment is not required anymore.

- Merg

3. Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2006
    A Galaxy...
    The HR10-250 is indeed an HD Dual tuner DVR.
    HOWEVER it is NOT mpeg4 compatible. Mpeg4 is used to broadcast most if not all of the HD feeds (both local affiliates as well as premium stations).

If insterested in purchasing (not leasing) a new HD DVR, look at the HR21 pro.

4. Nicholsen

Nicholsen Godfather

Aug 18, 2007
    The HR10-250 is a solid unit, and can probably be had cheap on Craig's List ($75, give or take). It does OTA HD wonderfully, and is great a second receiver for satellite SD (roughly 300 hours storage in SD). You are probably going to want/need a HR2x for MPEG4 HD (especially if you have movie channels).

There are other threads on the board about how to check out and install a box purchased from a third party. Requires a few calls, but very doable. If you like getting your hands dirty, setting up OTA is a fun project and will impress your friends. IMO, picture quality on OTA is slightly better than cable or D*.

If you decide you like the HR 10-250, you should be able to get a similar TiVO box for MPEG4 in 2010. If you hate it, you can probably sell it for $50 without much effort. I am currently scouting for one for a friend who has D* but still does not have an HD set and won't send her set to a landfill until it dies a natural death.

Recycle and Reuse. The planet will thank you. :)

5. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    I've had a number of DirecTiVos over the years (I'm all HD now) and the units I've had were pretty solid, good units.

As with anything on eBay, though, you may wind up dealing with people who are just trying to unload their junk for a buck. Shop carefully and you could find a real nice SD unit.

6. robdec

robdec Legend

Jul 12, 2007
    I still have my HR10-250 sitting right by my desk. It hasn't been used in over a year but it worked when last used. It also has an extra HD drive in it. I just stopped using it because it didn't do mpeg4. Let me know if your interested in it.

7. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    I have a pile of DirecTivo's in my basement. Never bothered putting them on eBay, maybe I should.

8. loudo

loudo Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2005
    Central Maine
    I just put one out for the trash yesterday, it had been taking up sapce in the closet for a couple of years now. No good if it can't receive MPG4 HD.

9. oldcrooner

oldcrooner Godfather

Feb 23, 2004
    I also have an HR10-250 that I want to clear out and will sell for a reasonable price. Please PM me if anyone wants it.