Old hardware - Hughes R10 and Philips 708

Discussion in 'Standard Definition Receiver Support Forum' started by mikemyers, May 21, 2010.

1. mikemyers

mikemyers Legend

May 19, 2010
    For the past several years, I've been using a Hughes R10, but I've just upgraded to a new DVR, HR24-500. I now have both working simultaneously, but plan to disconnect the R10 in the near future.

A friend who just switched to Dish gave me his old Philips DSR708, which he thinks might have a hard drive problem (why he switched). I'm not sure if he was right - so far it looks like he just wasn't getting good reception for the last few days he used it - I think that, after reviewing some of his recordings.

A few questions for anyone familiar with these two receivers:
    a) What is the difference (if any) between them? The seem to have identical specs.

b) The card in the Philips is expired, since my friend switched. Is there any way to do any kind of simple test to see if the hard drive really is damaged? The only way I can think of, is to activate the unit.

c) If there is no other way, is it possible to remove my card from the R10, put it in the 708, and use that for a few days? Do I need to notify DirecTV if I do that?

d) If I do call them and want to switch, either just for testing, or permanently, is there any charge for doing these things?

What I'd eventually like to get is a receiver that's compatible with multi-room viewing, but that's going to take a lot more looking....

Oops, I entered this in the wrong forum. I will re-enter it properly, and maybe someone can delete this topic.