1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old Model 4000 Questions

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by MadisonD, Feb 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MadisonD

MadisonD New Member

Feb 22, 2006
    I'm stuck in the past, still using the original receiver (Model 4000) which I purchased when I started with E* in 1998. Here are my questions:

1. Of late, I've been experiencing severe "blackouts" which occur at least every 5 minutes and last 1-2 seconds. I've tried resetting the box by cutting power to it for 15 minutes, without success. Is this problem due to the age of the receiver and is there any trick to eliminating it (other than getting a new receiver!)?

2. Are there any plans by E* to eliminate the 4000 and upgrade people's receivers like they did with the 2000 a year or so ago?

3. I'd love to get a DVR, but am cofused by which model would be best for me and by all the extra fees... lease, DVR access, etc. Can someone tell me how much it would cost to get a new DVR (not necessarily HD) with AT180, locals+supers package, for one receiver.

Thanks for the assistance.
    MadisonD.

2. JohnH

JohnH Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Is your software version up to date?

3. MadisonD

MadisonD New Member

Feb 22, 2006
    Yes it is.... 846P.

4. JohnH

JohnH Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Upgraded to Yellow card?

I have not noticed any abnormalities with mine, but it is only connected to 61.5. May be too many channels in the system for yours to work correctly. Don't know.

5. MadisonD

MadisonD New Member

Feb 22, 2006
    Yes, the yellow card is there. Time for a new system??

6. Rogueone

Rogueone Hall Of Fame

Jan 29, 2004
    well, on the DVR front, there are a couple older models that don't have monthly DVR fees, but those have the fewest features, namely, no Name Based Recording, only timer based like a VCR.

Would you want a single TV dvr or a dvr for 2 tv's? or 2 tuners so you could watch a show while recording one, or record 2 shows while watching one you'd already recorded? Would you like one that can feed all the TVs in your house via coax cable similar to having cable? Would you want to upgrade all the way to HD? sorry for all the questions, but that would help us make some suggestions

7. MadisonD

MadisonD New Member

Feb 22, 2006
    RogueOne - I currently have just one receiver and feed the other 3 tvs in my house using coax... of course the problem is that you can only watch one channel at a time. With just the two of us in the house, it usually isn't too much of a problem. I would love, however, to have the ability to watch one channel and record another. I don't have an HDTV... yet, so I could go either way on that issue. For some reason I don't feel the urge to have the latest and greatest technology since it's obsolete by the time you get it home and out of the box! I hope that's enough info. Thanks!

8. larrystotler

larrystotler Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 6, 2004
    A friend's 4000 does this same thing. If I were you, and you don't mind leasing, check out the DishNItUp program. You can replace your 4000 with a 625, which is a dual tuner/2 room DVR. This will let you use the TV2 out with the other TVs in the house and it uses the UHF remote. Your bill will go up by $5.98 per month because of the DVR fee, but that's would be it if you have a phone line. If not, it would go up by another $5 for the additional outlet fee. The nice thing about this upgrade is that it includes upgrading your dish, and you would probably get a DP+Twin which would allow the 625 to use 1 wire and leave you a port for another receiver later on. The pice for the upgrade should be between $100-150 with an 18 month commitment. They will also give you $25 back if you return the 4000, which would not be a bad idea since the 4000 seems to be on the fritz.

Now, if you want a DVR with no DVR fee, then a 501(35 hours) or a 508(60 hours) would work with your existing setup. They also have a UHF remote. Now, a 721(90 hours) is a dual tuner DVR, but it needs two feeds from the dish, so you would have to either buy a DP+ Twin and DP+ Seperator or run a second line if your dish is already setup for 2 tuners.

9. MadisonD

MadisonD New Member

Feb 22, 2006
    Larry - Thanks for the great info. The 625 sounds like a good idea. How much is the monthly lease fee? Is it true that Dish is going toward lease-only on all new receivers?
    Madison

10. AllieVi

AllieVi Hall Of Fame

Apr 10, 2002
    My 4000 has the blackouts, too, but not as often as yours. It probably happens on mine at least once every half hour and lasts a few seconds. For me, it's a minor nuisance.

It may be related to the unit's internal temperature. I'd try moving it into the open and force air circulation (maybe put a fan on it and see if that makes a difference).

It's possible that the design of the receiver makes it operate nearer its thermal limits than other models.

11. larrystotler

Jun 6, 2004
    That's a tough one. If it is a second receiver, then it would only have a $5 per month lease fee(same as the additional outlet fee for owned receivers). There have been reports that if it becomes your only receiver that the lease fee is part of the package price, but there have been reports that it is not. Make sure when you call E* that you write down everyone's name and get that info from anyone you speak to.

12. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    I own 2 4000's. Over the years the 4000 had several bouts of "the blinkies" (as the Canadian BEV subs used to call them) which were short bursts of picture and sound loss. In recent years (pre yellow card) the blinkies were all but gone. I upgraded to a 921 a little over a year ago and never got a yellow card for the one 4000 that was still was on my account.

Sorry to see they have returned under the yellow card. I can't say I'm surprised, the 4000 never had quite enough menory to handle the expanded E* EPG, which in turn affected other aspects of the receiver's operation.

13. larrystotler

Jun 6, 2004
    Yeah, E*'s service has expanded a great deal since that time, and the newer receivers are better in many ways.

14. MadisonD

MadisonD New Member

Feb 22, 2006
    Thanks for all the information. I guess it's time to bit the bullit and get a new receiver. I didn't see the 625 listed on the E* web page under the Dish'n-it-up program. They list only the 522 or 510. Are there differing charges if you have a dual-tuner vs. a single-tuner? Is the 625 better than the 522? Thanks again for the help.

15. kmcnamara

kmcnamara Icon

Jan 30, 2004
    The 625 should be a part of the DIU program. As long as you have a phone line connected to your 625, there shouldn't be any more charges than what you'd get with a single tuner. Also, the 625 is the replacement for the 522. Other than the addition of video-on-demand, I'm not sure what the real differences are (and supposedly they're adding VOD to the 522 at some point).

16. Bill R

Bill R Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2002
    Yesterday I was told that DISH has no plans at this time to go ALL lease-only (I asked because DirecTV has said that they are going lease-only in March). That could change in the future depending on how sucessful DirecTV is in doing it.

I really think that they need to keep the option open for people to buy their own receivers even though leasing is usually a better deal for customers. Some people just won't lease satellite equipment.

17. larrystotler

Jun 6, 2004
    Uh, they've been pretty much lease only since they killed off the Free Dish promo. Yeah, you can but the equip, but it's expensive. That's what's gonna happen with D*. You can actually still buy the receivers, but since the dealers won't qualify for the pre paid commisions anymore, they will have to charge more for the receivers. Expect D* standard receivers to sell for about $100 and the DVRs for about $200-250. Basically, more in line with what E* has been charging for theri receivers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.