Old/original 5LNB vs Slimline 5LNB for signal

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by leadout_kv, Oct 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leadout_kv

leadout_kv Mentor

Nov 4, 2006
    The following info is for you non-techno weenies who may not be aware of this.

Before last night my signal strength for the 103b sat was below 20% and I suspected a dish alignment issue for a while.. I couldn't view the new MPEG4 channels. Even the 101/110 sat was in the 80's on clear days when I remember having numbers in the mid-90's.

Well, last night D* came and replaced my old/original 5LNB dish with the newer slimline 5LNB dish. The signal strength now for the 103b sat is in the 80's and all other sats are in the mid to high 90's. What an improvement!

Bottom line: I recommend the newer slimline 5LNB dish if you do not already have one.

2. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan Active Member

Nov 29, 2005
    I'm glad the signal strengths are better for you. However, I'm not sure the Slimline dish necessarily gets better reception than the original AT9.
    It sounds like by default, just by having a new dish installed, it was aligned/peaked better.
    If I understand you correctly D* just came out and replaced the dish. It doesn't seem to me that they would do that as opposed to peaking the original. Where am I going w/ this? Maybe the LNB assembly was bad or something along those lines. It doesn't make any sense to replace the AT9 because of low signals unless it was somehow defecetive.

But hey, either way, it worked out for ya. Have fun w/ the new HD.

3. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    The AT9 was a more difficult dish to install and align. There have been a number of "failures", whether an actual failure or whether a result of improper installation and alignment. The solution today is to simply replace them.

There are a lot of AT9's in service that are working just fine.

Carl

4. RobertE

RobertE Active Member

Jun 9, 2006
    The AT-9 wasn't that more difficult. The main issue with it was the lnb/sidecar assembly. The zone settings confused a lot of techs. Also, those jumpers were/are a failure waiting to happen.

The back assemblies can be used on either dish. A short while back we got in a shipment of the first gen back assembly. The one with the dither pin. That confused a lot of the newer techs that only worked with the second gen. That does make me wonder how they did service calls on the first gen ones. :confused:

Anyway, the main reason, I feel that the AT is getting swapped for the AU is that it is easier in the long run to do so. With the AU the LNBS are 100% interchangable between mfgs. With the AT they are not.

5. leadout_kv

leadout_kv Mentor

Nov 4, 2006
    Just a follow-up, the AT was replaced with the AU at my house for two reasons. One, I was receiving poor signal strength and two, the AT dish was very old and performed poorly. While I agree that usually poor signal strength doesn't lead DIRECTLY to a dish replacement in my case the 5LNB dish was deamed defective and/or old/ineffective. I slightly pushed D* into the slimline. D* and the installer did not argue much. They just did it.

6. jefbal99

jefbal99 Hall Of Fame

Sep 7, 2007
    Very old? Haven't the AT9's only been out for like two years?

7. techrep

techrep Hall Of Fame

Sep 15, 2007
    The sidecar jumper connections just don't seem to hold up to weather exposure over time.

8. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan Active Member

Nov 29, 2005
    That's what I was thinking. They have only been out for 2 years...barely. I know technology changes fast and gets old fast, but geez.
    Oh well.....either way....it worked out for the OP.

I will have had mine for 2 years this January. It will be interesting to see how it goes then i guess. I really don't anticipate any reason to change it out. Let's hope nayway. If i do have to, then I have a spare Slimline in the attic ready to go if I need to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.