1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old sub looking to come back with ?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Mojojoe, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Mojojoe

Mojojoe Cool Member

Oct 17, 2012
    I had Dtv at my old house for two weeks about 6 years ago. It didnt go well with a bad install and never working right. I coudnt get them to let me out of contract so I paid the fee. I have cable at a new house being that Ive worked for them for the past five years. Since its been free the quality hasnt been a big deal, but since Im not working there anymore I dont want to pay for it. The house Im at now is my grandmothers house. She had Dtv years ago and had bad reception. Im worried if I order the service Im going to have issues and not be able to get out of the contract. Have things gotten better with dealing with them? Is there any opinions for me going forward. Thanks for the time.

2. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
  3. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The ETF is much higher than it was then (now $20/month) and the commitment is 24 months.

If they can't get a satisfactory signal, they're supposed to tell you so and leave without installing anything.

If you live amongst tall trees, you might want to reconsider suffering cable.

4. Mojojoe

Mojojoe Cool Member

Oct 17, 2012
    It shows theres a tree a few house's down but its not that high and this house is the biggest house on the street. I dont live around tall anything. Im wondering why her DTV was always going out. Could it have been a bad install?

5. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    There are many things that can cause problems with service, but dish alignment was probably the biggest culprit. Poor connections, defective equipment, bad install, all could have been the cause or contributors.

6. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    DirecTV has a new "tool" built in to receiver's software that at least will guarantee you a properly aligned dish today

7. Mojojoe

Mojojoe Cool Member

Oct 17, 2012
    I know the dish was not drilled to the roof. It was clipped on a piece of pipe that was on the roof. I wonder if that was a issue. Is there a outlet thats better then going online and ordering?

8. Drucifer

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    A loose or corroded connection would give a poor signal.

9. Drucifer

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Online is probably the worst. Either call DirecTV direct or work a deal thru a neighborhood dealer.

10. kevintheoman

kevintheoman Cool Member

Mar 14, 2012
    best deal I found when I was looking was the AAA deal. Second to that would be the Costco/Sam's Club deals.

11. Mojojoe

Mojojoe Cool Member

Oct 17, 2012
    Thanks guys. I got choice extra with the genie for 40.99 after having a family member having DTV. I dont have memberships with those companies kevin,but thanks for the reply. I may look into getting a AAA being you get 10 bucks off for 20 months. Im going to call cincinnatibell tomorrow and see with a bundle if they can do even better.

12. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    If their TV service (FiOptics) is available in your neighborhood, bundling isn't available. I lost my $6 discount on my DirecTV service after they put fiber on my street.

13. Mojojoe

Mojojoe Cool Member

Oct 17, 2012
    No FIOS so Im good there. I may still pay for the roadrunner and phone by it self. Bell only has 5 mb down and I have 10 right now. I play games online so I woudnt be looking forward to that switch.

14. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Yikes. When I switched from Zoomtown, I was at 10, but then I'm close to the local CO.

15. Mojojoe

Mojojoe Cool Member

Oct 17, 2012
    One thing that I dont know is a issue or not is they said I didnt qualify for the genie client so I had to get a hdbox? Does that seem normal and is that a problem or not? I also asked about the protection plan and I let him know about past issues that Ive had. He coudnt give me a straight answer about when I can or cant add the plan. He also said that I have 30 days from install if I need to cancel and I wont get a term fee. Not sure that I trust that.