1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OMG - the Storms & Tornadoes this Week!!

Discussion in 'The OT' started by hdtvfan0001, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Mar 3, 2012 #1 of 29
    hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Yesterday was certainly a big reality check.

Having been in the direct path of a tornado last night (luckily without any damage)...it put things back in some perspective as to what is really important. The loss of life was extremely tragic.

I watched as almost 70 tornadoes hit 11 states in one day - a few cities nearly or totally destroyed - incredible tornado and storm damage and devastation. It immediately made me feel horrible as I viewed news on how this was drastically changing lives.

Hopefully - most forum members here were not directly impacted. But with such a large area of the country harmed, I'm sure we have some folks here that were part of the unfortunate natural disaster.

To anyone impacted - our hopes and prayers are with you.

2. Mar 3, 2012 #2 of 29
    BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt

Nov 3, 2006
    This was posted by one of our local Weather Newscasters:
    Because of last summers tornadoes here in Missouri I took the Storm Spotters class. I think it's going to be a busy, stormy summer.
    Thankfully Missouri came out ok, except Branson, that was the hardest hit city Thursday in this state.

3. Mar 3, 2012 #3 of 29
    hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    The numbers and corresponding catastophic impact are indeed staggering.

The Weather Channel last night about 11pm ET was saying 67 confirmed tornadoes happened as of 10pm last night in just one day....and over 320 warnings in 11 states. Those numbers all boggle the mind.

4. Mar 3, 2012 #4 of 29
    hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    UPDATED INFO from the Weather Channel site this morning:

5. Mar 3, 2012 #5 of 29
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I just saw pictures of palm sized hail in our area, the meteorologist said it takes hours for ones like that to form. Massive updrafts.

6. Mar 3, 2012 #6 of 29
    hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    Your general area got hit pretty solid last night...including the airport evacuation. Hope you made it through things OK.

7. Mar 3, 2012 #7 of 29
    Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    Fortunately for me the storm "split" as it went past my area. But south of me there were several tornadoes. We don't get those here. The mountains break them up, so for them to have been able to form and keep generating through the mountains shows just how powerful this line of storms was.

8. Mar 3, 2012 #8 of 29
    Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    That is a fallacy. Dont believe it.

9. Mar 3, 2012 #9 of 29
    Herdfan

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    Its not a believe or not believe, it is I have lived in the general area for most of my 45 years and I can remember less than a handful of tornadoes ever touching down. And certainly nothing like what happened last night.

10. SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle Legend

May 7, 2006
    I would never live in that location of all those sky funnels. I can not see wanting to survive one if my residence is completely destroyed along with where I am unemployed completely demolished.

11. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Unfortunately, we don't know what or where your 'area' is.

12. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    After trying to digest the information about 24 deaths in yesterday's tornadoes in Indiana and Kentucky, I was informed by my son about a possible tornado that hit around 2:30 this morning in an area of east Charlotte about 2 miles from where he used to live. The video from WSOC-TV shows the extent of damage in the area. (View it full screen). To my knowledge, although tornadoes are not unheard of in this area, it's not really part of "Tornado Alley".
    http://www.wcnc.com/home/Se-141160443.html

13. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    This has certainly been an active March for weather!

I live about 20 miles from Harrisburg, IL and was fortunate enough to not get more than early morning sirens, wind and rain. My friends in Harrisburg were lucky that they weren't in the direct path of that tornado, but did get some wind damage.

And now to read that the storm that the storms that gave us midday sirens and very high winds all day, resulted in such tragedy to the north, south and east of us is terrible.

Now I read that supposedly the Westboro church group is coming to Harrisburg to protest the funerals of those that lost their lives just makes me so mad! There is a counter offensive against them being formed, hopefully things will remain peaceful. The last time this joke of a 'church' showed up in this area, so did a bunch of bikers. The protest ended before it started!

14. Herdfan

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    Huntington-Charleston, WV DMA.

15. JeffChap

JeffChap AllStar

Feb 10, 2007
    It's all in what you're accustomed to. Here in Oklahoma, we normally have hours, if not even days, of advance notice and non-stop television coverage. So you've got to be pretty clueless to get caught off guard.

And you might go your entire life without ever being impacted directly by a tornado. Whereas in LA, it's not just a possibility but a certainty that a large earthquake is going to strike eventually. And it'll happen without warning.

So we all pick our poison.

16. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    The NWS has confirmed that the storm that hit the Charlotte area around 2:30 this morning was indeed a tornado. Area meteorologists suggest that because this storm hit to the northeast of a bow echo on the radar that it was a combination of a tornado (intensity F0 to F2) and straight line winds.
    Since 1950, there have been 22 tornadoes in Mecklenburg County, where Charlotte is located and 11 in neighboring Cabarrus County. Last year, there was a tornado in Unionville, about ten miles from my Indian Trail home.

17. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    The biggest excitement for me was when our three Kentucky offices closed early (ours didn't) and that night my cat caught and killed a mouse.

Most of the storm missed us directly. There certainly is extensive damage in other areas, and the death toll has increased.

18. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I hope CNN is right ...
    Early tornadoes not predictors for future twisters

"The conditions simply have come earlier this year," said Harold Brooks, a research meteorologist at the National Severe Storms Laboratory in Norman, Oklahoma.

From a meteorological perspective, there was nothing unusual about the storms that produced so many deadly twisters this week. The ingredients just coalesced at a unique time.
    . . .
    Although the first tornadoes of the season were deadly and powerful, that doesn't give any clues about the rest of the season, he said.

source

19. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    And there are Midwesterners who would never live in California with all those earthquakes or along the east coast (Texas to Maine) with all those hurricanes. We just have different "common" disasters to deal with.

The worst of them make the national news.

20. BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt

Nov 3, 2006
    We Midwesterners have our earthquake worries. The New Madrid fault is one of the largest in the country. We've experienced many minor quakes and tremors. http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2012-02-21/missouri-earthquake/53188752/1