On demand and play from beginning has never worked

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by stvjohnsn, Dec 26, 2018.

1. stvjohnsn

stvjohnsn New Member

Feb 12, 2013
    I've had an HR54 for several months and the Internet functions such as on demand and play from beginning has never worked. If I try to play a show from the beginning it always complains that it may take up to 3 hours to get the content.

This hasn't been a huge deal for me but I finally called DTV customer service and they told me there was a known issue with on demand and they were working on a fix as soon as possible. I'm thinking they just told me that to get me off the phone.

I have ATT fiber internet connection and the box shows connected to the Internet. I've done double resets, clearmybox, etc. Wired and wireless. Nothing helps.

Any advice?

2. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I'm thinking what you're thinking is right on the button. Don't let them pacify you, you do have a legitimate problem.

Rich

3. ericknolls

ericknolls Member

Aug 18, 2013
    New York,...
    Could it be his AT&T Fiber connection causing the problem? I usually see an arrow going right and curving down and turning left indicating you can rewind the program from the very beginning in the guide. Next to the program to the very right of it. I have no issues with watching or recording on demand. The only thing that ticks me off is some of the OnDemand channels have no content. Really DIRECTV? He should make call to support and have a technician look at his internet connection and those two issues in the presence of this customer. That is part of the DIRECTV experience he is not getting. He shouldn't be waiting hours and hours for a program to record and download. He should also have access to OnDemand depending on what package he subscribed too. I believe you have to have the Ultimate and Premier package to get OnDemand.

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

4. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    On Demand comes with every package. You just only get the channels you subscribe to

5. dtv757

dtv757 Icon

Jun 3, 2006
    If u have fiber internet u shouldn't have that issue . I would schedule a service call could be bad box

Works fine for me and I have genie 2

In fact works faster now that I changed my DNS on the router

Sent from my mobile device using Tapatalk

6. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Try turning UPnP off on your router

7. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    Tons of known issues with OD that are listed on the daily cadie reports. There are tons of agents on the phone who have no clue what they're doing but this one is accurate. If you have the ability to login to the channels website or app it will work way better.

8. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    How is all Your system wired up?

If you go into network settings on the receiver run the speed test and what does it say?

What else is in your house? What router do you have?

9. stvjohnsn

stvjohnsn New Member

Feb 12, 2013
    I have a 1Gb fiber connection through an ATT (Uverse?) gateway. Previously I had Uverse TV but switched to DTV for the better picture. The speed test in the DTV box shows it as maximum.

I've tried both wireless through a Ubiquity AP, or wired via cat 6 through a switch and then back to the gateway. I have many other devices on the network, both wired and wireless, working fine. My Sony smart TV in the same location can access Netflix, Amazon, YouTube perfectly without ever buffering via wired or wireless.

10. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    What result code do you get

11. stvjohnsn

stvjohnsn New Member

Feb 12, 2013
    No result code that I can see...just a message that says something like "Receiver not ready for downloads. It may take up to 3 hours before downloads are available." It's been saying that for months.

12. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Re run the setup. It will give you a code at the bottom right of the screen. It will be a 5 digit code

13. stvjohnsn

stvjohnsn New Member

Feb 12, 2013
    Which setup...the Internet? That completes fine. Is there a code displayed when it's setup successfully?

14. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Yes the internet setup. It gives you a code at the end. That may help here

15. stvjohnsn

stvjohnsn New Member

Feb 12, 2013
    I reran the wireless setup and it says success with result code 88-264

16. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    To start. I would get off wireless.

17. stvjohnsn

stvjohnsn New Member

Feb 12, 2013
    Wired or wireless is the same. I've only recently switched to wireless. Exactly the same result.

18. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Nothing to do with the results. I would just get off wireless if you have the option

19. stvjohnsn

stvjohnsn New Member

Feb 12, 2013
    Yes, I agree that wired is a better configuration in general. One of the tests I'm going to do is to see if I can get OD working through my cell phone hotspot. I've read where that sometimes works in situations like mine. Obviously not a long term solution but may help to identify the source of the problem.

20. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    There was several people on another forum with the same access point as you having the same issue briefly switched to a ASUS or linksys router and the issue went away. I am trying to find it. Someone also turned UPNP off which fixed it. But there was some issue with the router not saving that to stay turned off