1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

On-demand expiration, revisited

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by JerryMeeker, Oct 11, 2018 at 2:20 PM.

1. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    I know this has been discussed before, but I keep discovering new peculiar behavior. Yesterday, I decided to catch up on the new program Manifest by downloading the three episodes that have already aired on my HR54. After the download completed, I noticed that S1 E3 had the expiration warning symbol (the exclamation point), but the first two on-demand episodes had no expiration warning.

So, since the actual expiration date is not viewable using the new GUI, I opened the recordings list on my HR24. The expiration dates are S1 E1 9/23, S1 E2 5/23, and S1 E3 10/15. So it is peculiar that the expiration dates are different, with the first episode not expiring until September of next year.

I decided to see if on-demand programs are treated differently when downloaded on the HR24, so I re-downloaded S1 E3, titled "Turbulence". After the download completed, it had the same expiration date (10/15), but I was offered the "Keep" button on this episode on the HR24.

Finally, note that the first two episodes downloaded to the HR54 are showing the "forbidden" icon on the HR24, meaning they can only be played back on the HR54. However, the third episode can be played back on either machine, and is missing the "forbidden" icon.

Anyone else find this behavior peculiar?

IMG_0202.JPG IMG_0203.JPG

2. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Yes same issues on where it is downloaded. If I download on the HR24 I can watch it anywhere but if downloaded it via the HR54 or client it has to be watched on the HR54 or the client.

I know when the latest episode is released to OnDemand it only has a date good for a week. When that date it is up it will delete it from your playlist but if you go back to OnDemand you can download it again and then the date extends well past the orignal expiration date. It is weird to say the least.

3. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    I agree that the behavior is strange. The logic, if there is one, escapes me.

4. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008

That suggest's to me it's the "new" Genie Software non-issue- Currently Genie's are the only one's getting new software and the software loads are being written for the HS-17 Which only supports Clients -Therefore when you download something on the HR54 -it only knows clients are on the system (even) though -your HR24 Still Shows in the play list.

The current Software Load on My Hr54 no longer Shows any indication of where (location) a Show was recorded -indicating the HS-17 is the only recorder on a system.

5. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    I think the location is on the infoscreen.

6. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    My HR54 shows location of any shows recorded on the bedroom HR24. Maybe you are on a newer SW version? I can’t imagine not showing the recording location. I record some news shows on both DVR’s because skipping commercials is faster when viewing on the DVR the program was recorded on. If I see two shows in the list, how am I going to pick which one to watch?

7. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Yeah my HR54/client still shows the location of where a show was recorded. It would be a PITA without it.

8. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Actually, the only place the location is listed is in the big blue box, and only if it was recorded on a different DVR than where you are viewing the list.

WestDC likes this.
  9. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    I noticed another anomaly with the on-demand recordings of NBC’s Manifest. The first two episodes were listed as only 43 minutes long. The commercial breaks were very short, and some breaks had no commercials at all (not complaining). The third episode was listed as a full hour, and had all the original commercials in the breaks. And given the different expiration dates that I mentioned in a previous post, it all adds up to peculiar behavior with on-demand recordings.

10. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    The on-demand content is provided by the
    channels owned servers Not by directv.

11. makaiguy

makaiguy Icon

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    Those episodes available soon after network airing are usually loaded with all the original commercials and are the same length as the original broadcast. I suspect the initial advertising rates include X days of inclusion in on demand viewing. I'm guessing the expiration date on these downloads coincides with the X days for which the advertising was paid.

After some period of time, usually a week or two, depending on the channel, the downloads may be replaced with shorter versions with fewer commercials, often self-promotion for other programs on that channel. These are probably the ones with extended expiration dates.

suspect those downloads with farther out expiration dates are those commercials.

12. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    Yep, you nailed it. The networks call it the C3 and C7 windows internally. The C3 window is as aired with no skipping, the C7 window is slightly different depending on the network with some ads replaced and is sometimes skippable. After those windows, depending on the show and rights, either a version goes up that doesn't expire until the end of the season (internally called stacking), or on some shows it expires 8 weeks after the airing (internally called a D8 window).

We only notice the expiration dates since DirecTV (and possibly Dish's) VOD is done via downloads to your hard drive and appear like DVR recordings.

On cable they have to deal with the same thing, but since thier VOD is basically a dedicated two way channel that you control, you automatically get the latest version available when you start watching.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018 at 8:24 PM
  13. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    The take-away for me is to pay attention to the length of the on-demand recordings. Since it is quite painful not being able to skip forward over the commercials, any downloaded version that minimizes the commercial breaks will be more enjoyable for me.