1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

On Demand Selection

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Billzebub, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Billzebub

Billzebub Godfather

Jan 1, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I'm sure that there are still HD channels that others have to have, but while I'd like to see Ovation and a couple of others, I'm pretty satisfied with what DIRECTV offers. Where I really see a need for improvement is with the On Demand selection. Unlike some others, view now works pretty well for me and on those occasions that it's slow I'm patient enough to download first and watch alter. The selection of ZHD channels however needs a lot of improvement. Since I live in 2 places, Harrisburg and Pittsburgh, I have service from both DIRECTV and Comcast. While in most cases (Channels, equipment, service) DIRECTV is miles ahead of Comcast, Comcast is way ahead in on demand.

Just looking quickly I can list the following channels with HD content on Comcast that are not available in HD from DIRECTV:

ABC
    CBS
    FOX
    NBC
    AMC
    BBC America
    TNT
    USA

I'm sure there are others but I haven't looked closely. I'm not suggesting that this is a fatal flaw with DIRECTV, only that now that most of the major channels (except of course for the ones you desperately want but don't have yet) are in HD, it might be time to work on beefing up the On Demand HD selection.

2. JohnBoy

JohnBoy New Member

Sep 8, 2011
    I totally agree,OnDemand needs beefing up.

The Primetime Networks especially need to be in Hd and updated more often with the fall season around the corner.

Fox Ondemand needs to be added and the other national channels (BET,USA,TBS,TNT...etc)could benefit from having HD content as well.

3. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    The reason most of those stations arent available in HD onDemand is currently due to exclusive carriage agreements with other providers, or no agreement yet in place so they cannot offer them until that time when an agreement is in place.

4. Billzebub

Billzebub Godfather

Jan 1, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Of course that is true, just like the addition of HD channels is driven by carriage agreements. The purpose of this post isn't to ask why, but rather to suggest this is the next issue DIRECTV needs to concentrate on. By the way, I've negotiated enough contracts and agreements to know they can be amended before they expire if both sides have enough incentive.

5. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Who's to say they aren't concentrated on it?

6. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    Yeah, not to mention how much content we gained in the past 2 years:
    CBS
    NBC
    ABC
    ESPN
    ESPNU
    Disney Channel
    Disney XD
    TV Land
    ABC Family
    ESPN Deportes
    Crime & Investigation
    Palladia
    Nick at Nite
    Adult Swim

Along with the content that is now available in HD as part of other overall renewal deals:
    A full lineup of HBO, Cinemax, Starz, Encore, Showtime in HD matching their online selection
    Viacom in HD
    A&E's networks in HD
    Scripps in HD
    Reelz in HD
    pivot in HD
    OWN in HD
    Sportsman in HD
    Select HD content from other channels (I don't have the full list at hand, but it varies from TMC, Style, E!, Golf, NBC Sports, Big Ten and others)