DBSTalk Forum banner

On Demand slow download

1K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  veryoldschool 
#1 ·
Do the On-Demand downloads normally take quite some time? A friend of mine has Verizon and her on-demands are instantaneous. It seems to take 20 minutes or so to download. I have an HR22-100 which I connect via an ethernet cable to my router.

#2 ·
You are missing some information we need to help...

Who is your ISP? What type of connection do you have... DSL, Cable? Speed: 1.5, 6, 10 mbps?

joannel said:
Do the On-Demand downloads normally take quite some time? A friend of mine has Verizon and her on-demands are instantaneous. It seems to take 20 minutes or so to download. I have an HR22-100 which I connect via an ethernet cable to my router.

#4 ·
If by "Verizon" you mean "Verizon FIOS TV", then keep in mind that they have dedicated hard-wired bandwidth for their OnDemand system, which no sat company can provide, plus their normal Internet speed is very, very fast at 20 Mb/s. That's faster than nearly any other home provider.

#7 ·
Then it is no surprise... I wouldn't even consider downloading whole movies with less than 6MB download speeds. 768 may be ok for surfing the net and doing email, but for downloading video which can easily be many Gigabytes in size, it is going to be a long drawn out affair.

Your friend with FIOS has a download speed nearly 30 times faster than yours.

vikefan said:
I have verizon DSL @ 768. I t takes me over 20 hours to download a 90 min HD show.

#10 ·
Movieman said:
Also, are you referring to the full download of the movie? When using DOD you don't have to wait for the full download. You can start it within just a few minutes depending on your connection. Post some more info and lets see if you can get squared away.
A full download in 20 minutes is pretty good.
I doubt that FIOS downloads "instantly". It probably just automatically starts playing. With D* you need to switch to the List to start playing the show. For SD shows you should be able to start watching immediately. For HD you may need to wait a few minutes. In the list the download will show Green/Yellow/Red. Once it shows Green you can watch the show. With yellow you may start, but you may catch up to the end. With Red I don't think it will let you start.

I find that with SD the download slows down if you are not watching it. The last time I downloaded HD it was limited to about 6mbs which is about 1/2 real-time. I have 12mbs DSL. With SD I can watch as soon as I start the download. With HD I have to wait about 1/2 hour.

#11 ·
joannel said:
I have Verizon Fios 10 Mbps download, 2 Mbps upload. It's the same as my friend who's On Demand is instantaneous.
I wouldn't think you would have the same problem I did with my cable modem. I had 3 Mb/s service. It always tested out fine, "but" for VOD, they would "time share" my 3 Mb/s down to 10% and less sometimes. If I downloaded in the middle of the night, I had it 100%, but during the day/weekends it would be horrible.
SD VOD downloaded @ about 3 Mb/s, so I could watch it [in the middle of the night] almost from the start.
I've changed to DSL 6 Mb/s [tests @ 5 Mb/s] and SD downloads better than 1:1, while HD is around 1.5:1 [1.5 min download for every 1 min of program].
If you have 10 Mb/s "100% of the time", you should be able to watch HD after a min or so of buffering.
If you can't, I'd run some speed tests on your connection and maybe give your ISP a call to see if they can help.

#12 ·
MountainMan10 said:
A full download in 20 minutes is pretty good.
Was it 20 minutes or 20 hours?

Nevermind... The OP did say 20 minutes (which IS good)... It was vikefan that said 20 hours.

vikefan said:
I have verizon DSL @ 768. I t takes me over 20 hours to download a 90 min HD show.

#13 ·
Downloading a Smithsonian HD show right now. The download speed is between 5 and 7 mbs, averaging about 6. Looks like D* caps it at about 7. Faster service won't improve download speed. I have 12mbs service. Can get 10 to 11 from many sites.

27 minute show - In list program showed yellow within a couple minutes. Went Green in about 7 minutes. Full download about 29 minutes.

#14 ·
MountainMan10 said:
Downloading a Smithsonian HD show right now. The download speed is between 5 and 7 mbs, averaging about 6. Looks like D* caps it at about 7. Faster service won't improve download speed. I have 12mbs service. Can get 10 to 11 from many sites.

27 minute show - In list program showed yellow within a couple minutes. Went Green in about 7 minutes. Full download about 29 minutes.
So basically, even with a very fast ISP you are seeing about 1:1 ratio. It takes one hour to download an hour long show.

#16 ·
veryoldschool said:
[minor question] Does it really matter? If you can watch it within a few mins, who cares? :confused:
I am trying to compare it to my experience where it is constantly catching up to the download on my 1.5M DSL.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.