1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

On Demand way over-compressed

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by cover, Apr 21, 2012.

1. cover

cover Icon

Feb 11, 2007
    I used on demand to download 2 episodes of Magic City, one of which also recorded from the satellite. Both episodes that came from On Demand were seriously, noticeably over-compressed. This was particularly noticeable in scenes that panned so that the whole screen had to be updated. In those scenes, the picture nearly broke up and was redrawn in slices, kind of like banding you might see on a bad inkjet printer. Nothing like this was evident in the same episode recorded from the satellite.

I don't know who was responsible for compression - the content provider (Starz in the case) or DirecTV. But I found the over-compression very distracting. If all on-demand programming is compressed this way, I won't use it.

This is disappointing because there's really no good reason on-demand programming needs to be compressed beyond what is beamed from the satellite. I understand that cranking up compression will reduce file sizes, save bandwidth, and allow programs to download faster. But if the result is significant loss of video quality and compression artifacts that are distracting, I'd much prefer to wait a bit longer for full quality video.

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I think it's just tug war - they do increase compression for better ROI and watching for a level of complains and a moment of declining revenue of the service.

3. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    That's weird. Usually the OnDemand PQ is even better. I watched "Boss" via OnDemand a couple months ago and it was pristine. Showtime & HBO are also usually pristine.

4. cover

cover Icon

Feb 11, 2007
    I'm glad to hear that and hope this was just an isolated problem with Magic City, but both episodes did exhibit the same issue so it was not just a fluke with one download.

5. sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Which episode was it? I'll check it here.

6. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    There always can be a bad file, but generally VOD is or can be better than the SAT feed because the encoding isn't being done in real time like the SAT feed has to be.

7. cover

cover Icon

Feb 11, 2007
    Makes sense, VOS, and I hope this was just an anomaly.

sigma1914, the episodes were "Feeding Frenzy" and "Castles Made of Sand" from 1527 STARZ. The worst/most obvious scene I can remember is one in which there is a pan across the exterior of the hotel, but IIRC any scene that had a big pan in it looked pretty bad until most of the motion stopped. In scenes without a lot of motion, there was still evidence of softness and some compression artifacts - just not as noticeable.

I watched "Castles Made of Sand" all the way through since the DVR hadn't grabbed it from the satellite yet. "Feed Frenzy" I had pulled down before it recorded from the satellite and wife started the VOD version since she had the remote and didn't know the difference (choosing my battles, I didn't say anything). But, a few minutes in, the compression was bothering me enough that I stopped the VOD and picked up watching the one recorded from the satellite instead.

8. sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    I tried episode 103 and it was kinda bad...more blurry on movement but didn't see macro blocking.

9. charlie460

charlie460 Godfather

Sep 12, 2009
    Doesn't DirecTV offer two separate versions for download? A lower resolution version for people with slower connections and the regular version? Is it possible you or your wife downloaded the low res version?

10. cover

cover Icon

Feb 11, 2007
    I've never heard that. The only VOD that comes up in search for Magic City is on STARZ 1527. I don't see anything about different versions.

11. Justin23

Justin23 Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    I noticed the same thing with those 2 episodes of Magic City. I don't think it's an issue with the On-Demand service itself. I've watched plenty of content that was great PQ.

12. Justin23

Justin23 Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    You're thinking of PPV movies. That option exists for the 1080p content.

13. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    If there is a choice I think it's only whether you want SD or HD.

14. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Some of the VOD HD content asks you if you want the higher quality slower download or the slightly lower quality faster download when you choose the HD versions. I agree with most here that I usually find the VOD PQ better as long as its the HD version.

15. SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER Freethinker

Dec 11, 2007
    Mason, MI
    Yes they do for HD content. I always select the higher quality download.
    And I watched both of the Magic City episodes op mentioned and the both looked great here.

16. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    I just went to try episode 103 and it did not download. It was preloaded via satellite on my disk. Maybe that is where the issue lies?

17. cover

cover Icon

Feb 11, 2007
    Interesting. They may have started preloading it based on popularity. It does seem to be airing on a number of different channels including Audience right now. When I first got it from VOD, it did download - though unusually quickly - which may be have been due to smaller file size from too much compression.

I do think preloading popular shows is a good idea in principle to make DTV's "on demand" a little more on demand even for those with slower internet connections.

18. Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer Hall Of Fame

Dec 6, 2006
    Yes