On Demand with whole home

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by zcarguy, Jun 14, 2021.

1. zcarguy

zcarguy Mentor

Oct 18, 2005
    If I record on demand show on on my hr54 I can't watch it on my hr24 and vice versa.

All normal recordings can be shared....

Is this limitation with on demand or is something wrong with my setup?

2. zcarguy

zcarguy Mentor

Oct 18, 2005
    no ideas? Anyone?

3. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    I've seen it happen with some OnDemand recordings but not others. Never figured out why.

4. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    I think it has to do with the way the commercials are inserted, for some OD channels. They'll only work in the "local" DVR.

However, programming from premium channels (or early versions of commercial channels, good for a few days after original aired) should work over whole home.

5. zcarguy

zcarguy Mentor

Oct 18, 2005
    Looks like premiums work fine and as mentioned above OD on local channels (with commercial inserts) don't work....

Thanks for the insight

6. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    Yeah, if you can get the "early" versions (usually less than a few days old containing the original ads and full runtime) of the cable and networks OD, those should play across the whole home network too.

But those usually expire within a few days of original airing and aren't necessarily full HD quality. My theory is that programming is "captured" from the lookback stream.

Also, it's worth a try to FF those "lookback" versions. Many times (but not usually) those ads can actually be fast-forwarded, in addition to playing across whole-home.