1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

On demand won't work on one DVR

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by MartyS, Jul 7, 2013.

1. MartyS

MartyS New Member

Dec 29, 2006
    Okay... here's the deal. I have 5 DVRs in the house, including the HR34 Genie. I can do "instant" on demand on the older DVRs with "play now".

However, when I try to do On Demand with the HR34 I get a message that says my connection is too slow and the download process is miserably slow. Now, everything is connected to the same router, and I have switches all over the house. At first I thought it was the ethernet switch that the HR34 was connected to. But then I did a speed test on the Mac Mini that's connected to the same ethernet switch and the upload/download speeds were where they should be.

Screen Shot 2013-07-07 at 12.00.03 PM.png

So, I suspect that that rules out the ethernet switch. I've also done a restart on the HR34 and that didn't work either.

Does anyone have any idea what else it might be?

Thanks!

2. tbolt

tbolt Legend

Aug 22, 2009
    Not sure that you can rule out that switch in question just yet..

1. Press the Dash key on the remote for the HR34 - screen should say Internet connected.

2. Try resetting the switch (Power)

2. Try using a different port on the switch.

3. Try swapping out the switch to the HR34 with a known working one.

3. MartyS

MartyS New Member

Dec 29, 2006
    I've done 1 and 2 multiple times. The interenet is connected and it shows in my router when I look at the DHCP listing. Haven't done 3 yet, so I'll give that a try. If all else fails I suspect that I'll have to go out and buy another switch to test with since I don't have a spare.

I really wonder if it might not be the port... since the computer attached to the same switch is getting full speed. If that is the case, and I do get full speed back to the HR, then I suppose I will get a new switch.

I'll have to give that a try later. Thanks for the tip.

4. MartyS

MartyS New Member

Dec 29, 2006
    Okay... Tried a Different port...same thing... So I ran the Ethernet cable directly into the hr34.... Still not enough speed.

Is there something different about the hr34 versus the hr2x series that would cause this?

5. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    You may need an update on the Genie for "Watch Now" to work.

How well does the record option work on the Genie?

6. MartyS

MartyS New Member

Dec 29, 2006
    The record option works ok,but recording and downloading an HD show is really slow, even at the faster speed. I Gus's ill have to wait for the next update and see if that works.