? on upgrade to DECA

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by xandor, May 28, 2010.

1. xandor

xandor Legend

Nov 18, 2005
    I have MRV working through my network, but am planning to upgrade to DECA as I have a receiver that would be hard to get an ethernet cable to (and I do not want to use wireless).

I have been reading posts about DECA installs not being completed due to the broadband DECA module not being widely available right now. Would it be advised to wait for the broadband module to be more available, or is using an extra DECA adapter and power inserter still a valid workaround for D*?

Thanks in advance!

2. mikeny

mikeny Hall Of Fame

Aug 20, 2006
    The receiver DECA with 18 volt PI is functionally the same as the "Broadband DECA" that isn't out yet. Just make sure they bring that DECA and the PI!

3. xandor

xandor Legend

Nov 18, 2005
    Then my only thing left is my R10. I like the tivo interface, but haven't really been using it as the tv downstairs has changed and don't have a free input.

Might see if I could get them to ok an HR24 (yes, I know they can't guarantee I get one), but the thing is I own that R10.

Maybe I could get them to realign my dish. Right now there's a rainstorm and I have no signal.

Decisions, Decisions!

4. xandor

xandor Legend

Nov 18, 2005
    Well, I just placed the order to upgrade to DECA/SWiM. They waived the install fee and they are replacing my R10.

Will provide updates if requested.

5. mikeny

mikeny Hall Of Fame

Aug 20, 2006
    Replacing it with what? An R16? H2x or HR2x?

6. xandor

xandor Legend

Nov 18, 2005
    They're going to replace it with an HD receiver -- they could not guarantee an HR24, of course.

If they come at me with an R16, I'm going to say no.

7. mikeny

mikeny Hall Of Fame

Aug 20, 2006
    Cool good luck.

8. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Because of the upgrade, be aware that you will have a 2 year commitment.

As for using a regular DECA and not the broadband DECA, that is a vaild workaround right now, but some techs are still refusing to do it. Just be aware of that.

- Merg

9. xandor

xandor Legend

Nov 18, 2005
    I am quite aware of the contract extension and that some techs are not doing it. I am prepared to take care of it should they have problems.

10. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    And you know, that's so dumb, because it works just fine.

I know the CSR can specify the extra DECA and PI for broadband connection, just make sure they do.

11. xandor

xandor Legend

Nov 18, 2005
    I already mentioned that to the CSR when ordering. I read everything here and made sure to take care of everything when I placed the order.

The only thing I can't control is the intelligence or ignorance of the installer with regards to the internet connection and the use of the extra DECA/PI workaround.

12. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    And considering that the Broadband DECA was not even scheduled to be released until after they had started implementing MRV (both test market and nationwide) it just seems silly they won't use it.

- Merg

13. xandor

xandor Legend

Nov 18, 2005
    All I can do now is hope I got an installer who is willing to listen, or if his supervisor will listen.

In any case, I'm taking the day off to watch them.

14. wildbill129

wildbill129 Godfather

Dec 22, 2006
    They had no problem doing it for me. The CSR included it in the work order. The DECA unit attached to my router is no different than the ones on the back of my receivers, with the addition of a power supply.