1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One bad output from Dish. Common problem??

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by vegasnv, Feb 16, 2009.

1. vegasnv

vegasnv Mentor

Jul 5, 2008
    I started getting searching for satellite messages on all my receivers. I bypassed the multiswitch and found that one of the four outputs from the dish is bad. DTV is sending a tech out to fix it.

Anyone see this problem before?

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Not very common, but it can happen. Did you also check that the coax connectors were OK (not loose, moist or corroded)?

3. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Yeah, I'd check that cable before blaming the LNB output.

4. vegasnv

vegasnv Mentor

Jul 5, 2008
    If it's a cable problem it's the short cable that runs into the dish and connects to the LNB. I'll let the tech check that one out. I don't want to do it and end up with a misaligned dish.

5. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Not very common. The strange thing was the last time I encountered one I took it back to the Best Buy that sold the job. None of the satellite TV wonks knew what the part was.

If you found the problem that is good. Try this technical adjustment: Connect the dead LNB port to the receiver & TV. Hit the side of the LNB with a small hammer. Check results. Sometimes works after a few hits.

Joe

6. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    Sometimes banging it still works . . . a corroded or oxidized connection internally.

Got a device with a remote at Christmas, couldn't get the remote to work with new battery, called the company, they agreed to send a new one.

Banged the original one one the table, it started working! (with the original battery)

7. vegasnv

vegasnv Mentor

Jul 5, 2008
    Thanks for the suggestion, but since I have 3 good feeds working I think I'll wait for the tech. I wouldn't be too popular at home if I knock the receivers we still have running offline.

8. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    That's a good plan! Let us know what the tech finds.

9. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    You could be correct for another reason. If the tech sees tool marks he could try to say you broke it...........If the tech hits it and it begins to work ask for a spare to keep for when it goes out again.

Joe

10. vegasnv

vegasnv Mentor

Jul 5, 2008
    Since the tech isn't scheduled to be here until Feb 26 I thought I'd take another look at my dish. I had been moving the cables at the ground block to isolate it to the one bad output. Today I bypassed the ground block and the output worked. I then put it back onto the ground block and it still works. So now all 4 outputs are working. I've connected my multiswitch up and everything works. We did have some rain over the weekend so I don't know if it's a moisture issue or not.

I'll wait until next week before I cancel the tech in case the problem reappears.

11. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Yeah, disconnecting the cable and reconnecting scraped the corrosion of the connection. I'd go through all of them and make sure they are clean and replace any that look really bad.

And shame on us for not thinking about the grounding block. :)

12. vegasnv

vegasnv Mentor

Jul 5, 2008
    All the connectors look great. The slimline dish was only installed 7 months ago and the installer put all new connectors on the existing cables. I don't think corrosion was an issue.