1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Only 3 days in and already.....regrets.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Danzio, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Danzio

Danzio New Member

Mar 3, 2007
    So after 6 years with Di*h Network I got fed up with their blacking out of many of my in market MLB games, specifically Angels broadcasts on FSW, I decided to go back to DTV. I had D before, then Cable (Time Warner) nightmares and the Di*h was the best experience, from a service perspective of the 3. However I just couldn't accept their rationalization that they were going to go to war with FSW just so they could avoid a rate increase being passed on to their customers. BS I say, at least give us the option. Well no ballgames, no options. So back to DTV I came after about 8 years I guess.

So now, only 3 days into my new Whole Home service and I am considering putting a gun to my head. :nono2:

Here are my problems, already:

1. My bad for not understanding that the Whole Home service would not pause/rewind live TV on the slave units. I guess I should have known that. That problem I assume could be remedied with additional DVR's to replace the remote receivers. Can someone confirm this?

2. Many audio dropouts already, along with video stutter, pixelation and all the horrible affects I remember from previously. I had hoped the technology would have improved to the point of this no longer being an issue. NOT.

3. SLOOOOOW...remote control function on one of the remote TV's. I mean 30 seconds or more to display some of the remote functions. And network playback issues as well where when trying to rewind the screen will go blank and then after several seconds or minutes in some cases, an error message will come up regarding "no data packets" or some such.

So how much of this is fixable and how much do I have to learn to live with. My brother, who lives 300 miles to the north of me has had DTV for a very long time and never experienced the problems I'm having now, or the one's in the past.

I appreciate any words of wisdom, or comfort for that matter.

2. mitchflorida

mitchflorida Godfather

May 18, 2009
    If you have multiple users in your household, you should replace the hd receiver with a second hd-dvr unit. Otherwise you will have to learn to record anything that you are watching live, and then you can stop and start, rewind it as usual. Shouldn't be more than $100 to get a second hd-dvr unit.

I almost never get audio or video dropouts. If it persists, there is probably something wrong with the install.

Does anyone know if he can cancel everything and get his money back in the first 30 days?

3. charlie460

charlie460 Godfather

Sep 12, 2009

Me either, this is definitely not normal and there is something wrong with your setup.

4. Old_School

Old_School Legend

Nov 28, 2011
    PA
    1. Yes, if you replace with DVR's you should fix this issue.

2. It seems that either your dish is a bit out of alinement or something is not correct in your system. i have had D off and on for years and never had this issue.

3. I do have the so issues on occasion.. i have noticed two things when this happens... first, the unit was VERY hot.. make sure it has room to "breath" and vent properly. second, the fuller the DVR was the slower it seemed to run, once i cleared most of what needed removed anyways it seems faster (to me that is)

Good luck and i hope all gets worked out...

5. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    It sounds like your install has issues. You definitely shouldn't be having that much trouble with recordings dropping out, etc. if your DECA network is set up properly. If you give us more information about what model DVR/recievers you have and stuff like that people might be able to help out.

As far as being able to rewind live TV, yes that is only a function of DVRs right now. If DirecTV ever gets around to releasing their C31 RVU client then you would be able to add a small box at each TV and have trickplay functionality. But for now you either have to do without it or take mitchflorida's advice and start recording the program you are watching and then watch the recording instead of the live program. It's not quite live, but you are only a few seconds behind live so it really isn't that big of a deal.

6. n3vino

n3vino Godfather

Oct 2, 2011
    Leon...
    When I first got D*, I got one HDVR, one HD, and one SD receiver so I wouldn't have to pay any money up front. Then a week later, they came up with 3 free HD receivers. I called to see if I could get the SD receiver replaced with an HD receiver. The CR said I had just made the 15 (or was it 14?) day deadline to swap the unit for free. I believe he has 30 days to fix problems on the installation.

7. mitchflorida

mitchflorida Godfather

May 18, 2009
    That's one of the reasons I try not to switch carriers unless absoultely necessary.

It took Dish four visits to repair the messed up install a contractor did at my house (starting with installing the dish on a piece of red brick instead of pouring cement to anchor the dish). Even DTV took four visits, and it involved first a faulty receiver and then not installing the right lnb. The first DTV contractor looked at my house and the work he would have to do, and just left and never returned.

Of course sometimes you have to switch, I just try to get them to match another's deal. It saves me time and money.

8. Danzio

Danzio New Member

Mar 3, 2007
    Thank you all very much for the replies. When I get home tonight I will post more info on my equip. and as much as I can regarding the install.

Much thanks again gents,
    Dan

9. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Post your signal strengths as well, assuming its not a downpour.

10. sweep49

sweep49 Legend

Jul 15, 2008
    SW GA
    Audio dropout and stutter are not a problem here either. I have an HR23 which used to drive me crazy with slooooooow remote response. A few months ago, we got a new tv and guess what? The remote issue is almost non-existent now, so I suspect certain tv's ir interfers with the dtv remote. I think it's been discussed in other threads and don't know what to do about it, but imho it can be an issue. I just lucked out by changing the tv I guess from Sony to Sharp for what it's worth.

11. Danzio

Danzio New Member

Mar 3, 2007
    So here's my system, as best I can describe it.

(1) Each: HMC Rec #HR34-700
    (3) Each: HD #H25-100
    Antenna: Slimline (I can't see much else on it)

Sat. Transponder readings as of 6:07 PM Pacific (7/19) Clear, Blue Skies
    1-8) 96 96 95 0 95 99 96 100
    9-16) 95 95 96 0 96 100 95 100
    17-24) 95 100 96 0 96 100 96 100
    25-32) 96 0 95 100 97 100 96 100

The HMC is in the living room and the 3 HD's are in a family room and (2) bedrooms. The one causing me most grief is in the master bedroom. When I got home from work I turned on the system from the living room and all seemed to be good. I went up into the master bedroom and turned on the system and got nothing but a white screen. Fooled around with the remote with no change. Went into bedroom 2 and turned on the system. Full functionality, all seemed okay. Went back to MB, still white screen. Pulled plug on HD unit and after reset all seems okay.

With regards to install. I have one coax coming from antenna into ground block. Then they split off and go their separate ways. I have a small box connected to one coax that has some led's on it and then a ethernet cable from that box to my wireless router. I don't have ethernet throughout the house so maybe that is contributing to the problem but the installer said that would not be a problem.

So any input, again, is much appreciated.

12. mitchflorida

mitchflorida Godfather

May 18, 2009
    My input is this:

Call up DirecTV and tell them to fix your system. If he is unable to fix it to your satisfaction, tell him to remove the equipment and cancel your account.

13. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Your signals look fine for that satellite (101). You don't indicate the signal levels for the other satellites, but they should be high 80's or 90's.

You indicate your problems appear to be only in one room, which sat signal would not cause. Easy thing to test - swap the problem receiver with one of the other receivers and see if the problem remains in the original room, or stays with the receiver. That would help narrow down a receiver problem or a system (dish/wiring) problem.

The small device with LED's is what gets network connection to all of the receivers. It sounds like it is working properly.

14. Danzio

Danzio New Member

Mar 3, 2007
    Things seem better for the time being. I did send a note to DTV thru their website explaining my problems and basically just wanting to go on record FWIW. Looking at the other sat's here are my numbers:

99*
    1-8) 85 88 86 86 83 86 84 84
    9-16) 84 87 86 83 86 88

103-s*
    17-24) na na 100 na 100 100

103-ca*
    9-16) 82 80 84 79 81 77 80 76
    17-24) 81 76 84 77 82 76 85 82

103-cb*
    1-8) 87 88 80 78 83 87 79 79
    9-16) 83 86 80 80 82 85 na na

SWM
    1-8) 100 0 97 0 0 0 0

Also, regarding the problems being limited to one receiver, the first night is when we had the worst of the problems and that was in the living room where the DVR is located. Horrible pixellation and many audio drops. The pixellation occurred 2 or 3 times and once lasted a minute or two. The audio drops occurred throughout the movie. A playback of a recorded movie. So although things seem better now, I am suspect that this kind of stuff won't correct itself on its own. We will see what DTV's response is.
    THanks,
    Dan

15. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Those readings are a little low. You definitely need a service call with either dish alignment or LNB replacement.