OOoohh, I hate it when they DO that!

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by SayWhat?, Jun 17, 2015.

1. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    "OOoohh, I hate it when they DO that!" (Wasn't that Peter Lorre?)

Stepped away for a few minutes and when I came back, the notebook was dead. It usually goes to sleep and a bump of the mouse wakes it up. Not this time.

Crossed fingers, hit the power button and it started to boot. Got the 'unexpected shutdown' screen, but it booted normally. Everything is working with one exception (see below). Nothing shows what happened. Event Viewer shows the reboot and:

"The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

This is a Gateway notebook bought in 2010 running Win7HP.

The only thing I notice odd is that when you unplug the power cord, the taskbar icon doesn't change from the AC indicator to the battery indicator and the help tip doesn't show 'on battery'. It shows 'Plugged In; Not Charging'. If you plug it in, it shows 'Plugged In; Charging'. So, it sees the state change but doesn't display the fully correct message.

I'm wondering if I bumped the power cord enough to disengage it and it shut down after running the battery down. Not being here looking at the screen, I wouldn't have seen the low battery warning to react (if it displayed).

So, anybody know why the icon and notice aren't accurate or how to correct it?

2. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Did a quick search for that message and all I find are things related to a bad connection or battery while the cord is plugged in. I don't see anything about it appearing when the cord is unplugged. Battery seems to be OK since it will run on battery for a while. Probably not as long as when new though for sure.

3. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Unplugged at :03 past the hour and am now running on battery. We'll see how long to get to 10% or less. Started at 100%.

4. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Got just short of an hour. Not bad for a 5 year old battery that doesn't get regular cycling. Went to 0% though with no Low Battery Warning and without shutting down.

Going to have to do some more testing on that when I can watch it more closely and be ready to shut it down normally.

5. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    Is it possible Explorer.exe was dead? This can happen and if you're running programs, the programs wwill still work, you can still browse, but your task bar and notification tray will be frozen.
    This shouldn't cause a reboot though.

6. Smuuth

Smuuth Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2005
    I would replace the battery.

7. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yup, it's like milk, if you gotta smell it to make sure it's good throw it away. I have no patience with batteries, if I have one that smells, looks or acts bad it gets replaced immediately. Especially car batteries.

Rich

8. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    My car battery died while I was picking up my daughter's family at the airport on a Sunday morning. Fortunately the place wasn't too busy. 3 A's showed up with a new battery in less than half an hour and had it installed in ten minutes. Cost was about the same as I paid for the previous battery. Car is 11 years old and this is now the third battery.

I have never noticed a battery that smelled bad :nono2: I did have a 9-volt battery that expanded from its container prematurely, but that was while it was still in its packaging, probably about three years old.

9. plasmacat

plasmacat Legend

Mar 14, 2007
    I have a 4 year old Samsung notebook. I always use it plugged in. For the past few weeks my battery icon has a red X in front of it and when I hover my mouse over the icon it says "Consider replacing your battery" If I click the icon it says there is a problem with my battery. However it charges ok. So what happens if I don't replace it? Like I said, I always plug it in.

10. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    the battery will continue degrade - not holding charge - one day you'll find the notebook will run from power adapter only regardless if the battery inside.

11. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    The shutdown happened a few more times after this post. I figured out that it was doing it during Windows Update. I usually have quite a bit running; two or three browsers, WMP, and maybe a few other programs. After a couple of times, I started watching the Resource Monitor more closely and could see the CPU usage spiking and staying high. Win Update would run every evening around 7PM and that's when the crashes would happen.

I turned Win Update off, went to manual only and the crashes stopped.

Lately however, it has happened again a few times without Win Update, but only when there is an apparent high load on the CPU for whatever reason.

I can't see how that's related to the battery in any way. And yes, they icon is still behaving badly.

I've thought about trying System Restore, but I'm not sure what date to go back to, nor what would happen to any updates Windows has installed. Or if it might be a bad update from some time in the past. SR always made me nervous whenever I used it in the past and I've tried to avoid it.

12. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Maybe CPU getting too hot?

That goes back to another thread where somebody asked about a CPU temperature monitoring utility. Not sure I ever saw a good answer there.

13. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    If you do a System Restore,
    any Windows or other program updates done after the date you choose to Restore it to will all be gone.