1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Open ground

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by tthom85, May 13, 2011.

1. tthom85

tthom85 New Member

May 12, 2011
    I've blown three receivers in my condo unit so far the tells me there's an open ground somewhere in my electrical system. I've tested all my outlets with a tester they show that their fine. So how do I find the open ground.

2. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    If you're just using a standard 3 light outlet tester it will only show you that there is a hot, nuetral and ground connected. It will not tell you voltage or if there is too much current, which is the cause of devices being damaged, so you'll need to get someone who has better equipment or start finding out where in the circuit the nuetral is becoming the hot (usually the main issue of this situation).

3. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Your symptoms tell me that you're in serious need of a UPS. A good one should all but eliminate power as the problem as well as alerting you to when whatever it is that it is happening happens.

The most likely cause of electronic devices cooking is low voltage, not spikes or voltage coming in on the wrong leg.

4. Mike500

Mike500 Hall Of Fame

May 10, 2002
  5. RBTO

RBTO Legend

Apr 11, 2009
    An open ground doesn't sound like the likely culprit in your situation, and if it's an intermittent problem, it will be hard to find even with the right tester. By "blown", what do you mean? What was the failure mode of your receiver in each of those three cases?

6. wallfishman

wallfishman Icon

Dec 31, 2008
    do you have older receivers with 3 prongs not 2 ?

7. richall01

richall01 Godfather

Sep 30, 2007
    South Georgia
    Do you have the dish grounded?

8. tthom85

tthom85 New Member

May 12, 2011
    Yes I have the dish grounded and by blown I mean fried

9. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    Simplest cure, like others have mentioned, is a good UPS.