Opinion - Jeff Kagan: Can Cable TV Survive?

Discussion in 'Cable TV Discussion' started by Athlon646464, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Yada Yada Yada DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    Opinion - Jeff Kagan: Can Cable TV Survive?

(equities.com) - The earth is shaking under the feet of the cable television industry. Traditional cable TV is facing an earthquake that is changing the entire industry. When the dust clears, everything about the traditional industry will be very different. A new television industry is emerging. Can Cable TV survive?

This has been building for years, but all of a sudden new technology with the Internet, new ideas and new competition, have all reached the point where they are now starting to negatively impact the cable television industry....

Full Editorial Here

[​IMG]

2. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    The biggest thing for the cable companies is the $ports packages such as E$PN and the Regional $ports Networks. With the exception of NFL football, if you want to watch your favorite NBA, MLB, and/or NHL game, you need to get cable as it is extremely rare for a game to be shown on broadcast television. $ports programming is also particularly attractive because it is very likely the person is going to watch the program "live" verses time-shifting for later viewing.

Combine that with alternatives to non-sports content. Why should I subscribe to HBO when I can get the series on BluRay later? Why should I watch my favorite older series or movie on their time when I can watch it "uncut" on my own time and in it's original aspect ratio? Also, there are alternatives.... why watch a program when you can be part of the story through a online MMO (World of Warcraft) or video game?

3. cfkane

cfkane AllStar

Mar 14, 2010
    The ONLY thing keeping me from cutting the cord is sports. Otherwise, I would be done with it.

4. anex80

anex80 Legend

Jul 29, 2005
    Midwest
    Agreed! I'm in the same boat. I often wonder if sports are even worth it given that I can literally get EVERYTHING else I watch by other means.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Monterey...
    Not everyone can do so, especially if staying within the bounds of legality- not saying you're not.

6. camo

camo Godfather

Apr 15, 2010
    Everything is out there, but be careful of any website that wants to do a update for latest player, adobe etc, they are all malware.

7. anex80

anex80 Legend

Jul 29, 2005
    Midwest
    Most content can be accessed through subscription services like Netflix or Hulu, others can be purchased outright through Amazon or iTunes. I've researched my shows before and sports is really the only thing missing, at least for me. There will be a breaking point for me at some point and it's getting closer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. sangs

sangs AllStar

Apr 2, 2008
    NE New Jersey
    Cord-cutting (silly term, since you still need the internet cable) will never happen in this household. Sports aside, I've done the math. If I'm to legally purchase all the shows we watch per episode - or season - it easily tops our monthly TV bill. Easily. So I see no benefit from it whatsoever.

9. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Monterey...
    Quite right, and that's before internet charges, which will go up not only due to volume, but time.

10. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    80-90 % of my viewing I could live quite easily on OTA. There are SOME cable channels we watch pretty regularly, and SOME Sports that I can only get via cable, but it's not like I'd die without them. But I don't see us leaving Dish for a long time, if ever. It hasn't gotten to that point yet for us.

Now - I would have to be in extremely desperate straits before I'd cutoff Internet, even if I'm not currently doing any Internet TV at this time. we also use the internet for our telephone (VoIP was so much cheaper and with the right Voip company (I use CallCentric) it's very comparable to traditional POTS service). Maybe some day I will have to explore what's available. Unfortunately for us, the only real choice on internet fast enough for TV streaming is Time Warner. I'm subscribibg to a 2M up 20M down package, with my own DOCSIS3 modem (Motorola SB6121). But it's still about $45 /month

11. fireponcoal

fireponcoal Icon

Sep 26, 2009
    Old men love their cable companies. Let em' go down with the ship. The rest of us will get our content however we see fit. Not that I have cut any cables but I am glad that a whole generation have decided to do so while older people point fingers about how they are doing so. Perhaps that's just on certain msg boards that shamelessly shill product. Go team best provider on the planet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 person likes this.
  12. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Yada Yada Yada DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    Update: Cable TV Subscriptions Continue to Plummet

(televisions.reviewed.com/) - According to new numbers out last week, cable and satellite TV subscriptions continue to dwindle as the pace of cord-cutting increases....

Full Story Here

=======================

(forbes.com) - DirecTV recently reported its Q3 2014 earnings, which grew 4% to $1.33 (after adjustments) during the third quarter. The satellite operator saw a steady revenue growth, both in the U.S. and Latin America (LatAm). However, the company lost 28,000 video customers in the U.S. and 119,000 subscribers in LatAm. Despite the subscriber losses, DirecTV managed to post revenue growth due to higher ARPU in the U.S....

Full Story Here

[SIZE=13.63636302948px]=======================[/SIZE]

(fool.com) - Since spring, DISH has been rumored to be working on an over-the-top online television streaming service that costs $20 to $30 per month. DISH's idea is to offer a smaller number of popular channels (you know, that ones people actually watch) that stream from the Internet to mobile and connected devices, without the need for a traditional pay-TV service....

Full Story Here

13. PCampbell

PCampbell Icon

Nov 18, 2006
    Other than sports most of the content is not very good anymore. If I cut the cord I will be OTA only.

14. Wilf

Wilf Legend

Oct 15, 2008
    Not this old man, (in my 80's). Nearly everything my wife and I watch is streaming.

1 person likes this.
  15. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    At the end of the year, I will be having THAT discussion with my mother again. We've got enough recorded content that subscription TV isn't necessary. The problem is that old habits die hard.

16. nmetro

nmetro Godfather

Jul 11, 2006
    I wonder why? Could it be the infantile battles between content owners and delivery services? Could it be that there are so many reality channels, that people have gotten sick of paying for them? Could it be 8 hour blocks of one program day in; day out during weekdays? Could it be lack of variety? Could it be your are paying more; but, getting less? Could it be that OTA sub-channels, for now, actually offer more variety than 200+ cable channels?

Much of my watching are OTA networks, sub-channels like (MeTV, GetTv and the like), sport and movies (TCM being the most watched, until 21 October; Thanks DISH).

So, I would be happy with the ESPN, FOX, Big Ten network channels, the DISH Blockbuster channels, Encore and TCM. That is about 99% of what I watch. All these channels have a live stream, unfortunately, you can only get the live stream through your cable or satellite provider. It would be worth $50 for the lot. Especially, in two years, I will have gigabit internet coming into the house.

17. maartena

maartena Hall Of Fame

Nov 1, 2010
    Sports is also pretty much the only thing that keeps people bound to cable. That, and the people that just want the screen on from the moment they come home from work, till the moment they go to bed. If you are like me and my wife, we watch TV about 1 to 2 hours a day, unless its a long movie or we want to catch up on a few things after a busy week..... a TV subscription just doesn't offer any value anymore.

Thing is, I can WAIT till season 5 of Walking Dead shows up on Netflix. Me and my wife may be behind 1 to 2 years on popular TV shows, but once you are ON that schedule, it really doesn't matter any longer. We don't discuss "did you see what happened on Dallas last night" the next day at work like we did in the 80s. And the few shows that do require more live interaction, like voting for The Voice or American Idol, I record those from OTA TV, which gives me a better quality picture then DirecTV anyways.

Traditional subscription TV will continue to decline. I wouldn't even want to guess what is going to happen once the baby-boom generation starts moving into elderly care facilities, back home with children, or.... well... dying. There is a large amount of people between 50 and 70 right now that were born in the 20 years after World War 2, and I think a large portion of those will have traditional TV.

If someone from television providers actually reads this, try to pay attention to this:

- People want choice. They want to choose what channels they want to pay for, and which they don't want to pay for. They may only want ONE or TWO of the 15 or so Viacom channels (e.g why would you want to pay for 5 children/teen channels when you don't have children?), or they may just want CNN ONLY, and don't care about TCM or other Turner channels.

- Sports fans are often not following ALL sports teams. If I want to follow 1 team (say, NHL Anaheim Ducks in the Los Angeles market), I am being FORCED to also pay for the broadcast rights for expensive MLB and/or NBA team broadcast rights, such is the case in Los Angeles right now with the Lakers and Dodgers. Give viewers the CHOICE as to which teams they want to have in their package.

- People want to take their shows everywhere, on every device, without having to connect to the internet. A self-built cable-card DVR will do that, but so will a self-built OTA DVR. Including internationally. I took several OTA recorded shows to Europe last month, to watch on moments I wanted to check out for an hour from all the busy travelling. Cable and Satellite DVR's are encrypted and locked up, and you can't take shows anywhere. There are some new things like TV Everywhere that is being used now, but it doesn't support all devices, and you still need an internet connection. And you can't using when you cross the border.

Cable/Satellite companies are too restrictive. You can only choose between the pre-determined packages they select. If you want to watch your local Ducks, you also have to pay for the Kings, Lakers, Clippers, Angels, Dodgers and LA Galaxy. The DVR's are rigged with encryption and DRM so you can't take a show to your friends house (like you could with an old VCR tape) or across the country when you go visit family.

Times are changing, people want freedom of choice, everything on demand, and from every location on the globe, without being restricted by geographical boundaries. Now that last item is still a challenge, but even for that there are VPN's these days. Traditional TV is dying, and if cable/satellite companies aren't starting to let go of their chains, they will continue to bleed customers.

18. sabrewulf

sabrewulf Cool Member

Sep 4, 2011
    I can understand why people are cutting the cord. Triple digit bills. Its way to high for cable and sat tv. If anyone has the ability to have broadband can get netflix and hulu combined and it be way cheaper. They need to cut all these low rated channels and lower the bills or its gonna continue. Nobody likes payin for channels they dont ever watch.

19. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Monterey...
    Netflix and Hulu are fine, but don't have any where near all of the content folks like to watch. And not everyone has broadband. But you're certainly right in that there are those who are currently making that decision. I just don't think it's going to be a landslide or a flood; more like a leak in the dike.

20. acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    If I was single and nobody else is watching TV I would of cut the cord a long time ago
    It could still be a option as I would just buy the kids DVD's of their favorite shows

I'm just one of those guys that turn the TV on and don't find anything interesting, but just leave it on while on my laptop, unless it's the weekend for football

but I'll be find without it, It's just too much to justified keeping it paying $180, it's a burden even when others in the house help pay portions of the bill, I've got necessity utilitiy bills to pay, and pay TV isn't a necessity it's a luxury.