Opinion: Walking off a show about video game violence

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Mark Holtz, Jul 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jul 8, 2005 #1 of 14
    Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    Originally posted by [H]ardOCP:

I want all of you guys to head over to 1Up and read this article by John Davison. Apparently John was asked to go on a show to talk about “video games” and ended up being ambushed by the host. John proceeded to walk off the show in protest and we say “good for him”.
    By now it is obvious to most of us that the mainstream media has an obsession with “video game violence”. Instead of advocating personal accountability, responsible parenting and enforcing current game ratings, the media likes to attack games as a whole as if video games will lead to the destruction of civilization as we know it. Thanks to Blair for the linkage on this one.

FULL ARTICLE HERE

2. Sherlock

Sherlock Legend

Mar 24, 2002
    Colorado
    Why, doesn't everyone know there was no such thing as violence before the invention of guns and video games? If you get rid of nukes, guns, and video games, man will return to his harmonious roots. And if you get rid of all industry and fossil fuels, man will return to living in harmony with nature, too.

...unless you have a clue about humans, nature, and human nature.

3. Roger

Roger Banned User

Aug 7, 2002
    From what I understand the Military has technology where future drones/robots controlled by people along with facemask to be worn by troops can take the images of real people and makes them look like video game figures so some could think that these games are Pentagon endorsed killing training simulators. If this is the case then the devaluing of life is sad. Now where’s my copy of GTA.

4. ntexasdude

ntexasdude Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2005
    Of course we're only getting his side of the story but it does sound like he was ambushed. I applaud him for walking off rather than sitting there like punching bag. Of course it's nothig new. Remember the famous ambush on the Sally jesse Raphael show? That one turned ugly. :nono2:

5. Nick

Nick Charter Gold Club Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Ambush TV...hmmmm. Hopefully, a successor to reality tv.

6. BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch Hall Of Fame

Apr 24, 2002
    To this day I still have no idea why ANYONE would ever sitdown with Mike Wallace from 60 minutes with a cameraman nearby.....

7. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    SOP is for the interview to last about 10 hours, until the person being interviewed is tired and sweaty from the hot lights, and then hit them with the nasty questions.

8. n8dagr8

n8dagr8 Resident Rounder DBSTalk Gold Club

Aug 14, 2004
    You need to get SOCOM or Rainbow 6 or one of the other "US Military vs. Terrorist" games. GTA is just "gansta" stuff.

9. ntexasdude

ntexasdude Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2005
    Actually....I read a great sci-fi novel a few years ago about this very thing. It was called Enders Game by Scott Card. In the story a brilliant kid was sent to a special school and taught to play a incredible video game where they were shooting alien ships in the outer reaches of our solar system. Eventually the kid became really good at the game and was sent to play in a master tournament with other master players. It turns out it was no game and the tournament was an actual military space operation. Of course all this was unbeknownst to the players. The aliens had visited the earth 20,000 years ago but this time they were coming back to destroy us. If I remember the story correctly we somehow knew they were coming and had about a hundred years to prepare.

Not exactly what Roger was talking about but along the same lines. :eek2:

10. Nick

Nick Charter Gold Club Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    I envision a video game being released in the near future called the "Rove Destroyer". It's about a replicant in the White House.

11. Jim Parker

Jim Parker Icon

Aug 12, 2003
    Great book. Did you read the sequels? I thought that they were good, but not as good as the first.

12. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    Was that the basis for a Grade-B SciFi movie - "The Last Starfighter"?

13. ntexasdude

ntexasdude Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2005
    Never read the sequels but maybe I will now.

I don't know. Never saw the movie.

14. Jim Parker

Jim Parker Icon

Aug 12, 2003
    No. Completely different story line.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.