1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opinions on how the possible delay in the Dig Trans will effect programming

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by tuckerdog, Jan 23, 2009.

1. tuckerdog

tuckerdog Legend

Sep 22, 2007
    With the possibility of a Congress agreeing to postpone the Dig Trans until June, do members of this forum have an opinion on wether this affect D*'s decision on national vs LIL additions?

If this has already been discussed I apologize
    Michael

2. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The delay changes nothing with respect to programming.

Any delay would likely confuse consumers and add significant un-planned costs for the TV stations.

Yes, it has been discussed to death. Use the search feature and search for the word "transition".

3. SParker

SParker Active Member

Apr 27, 2002
    Expect a great many broadcasters to cut off the analog on Feb 17th anyways. There is nothing that the extension can do to stop them. So its basically pointless legislation.

4. DJTheC

DJTheC AllStar

Oct 31, 2007
    I feel this transition should've occurred a long while back.

5. mreposter

mreposter Hall Of Fame

Jul 29, 2006
    Couldn't that put stations that cut over "on time" at a competitive disadvantage if other stations in their market didn't? All those old/poor/clueless folks would stick with the stations still doing analog.

If congress does decide to push the cutover to June or later, I'd like to see them do a one-day national test where all stations turn off their analog or run a static warning screen for 24 hours.

6. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    Every major network station is on time for Feb 17th in Miami/Ft Lauderdale, I'm not sure about all the independents.

7. SParker

SParker Active Member

Apr 27, 2002
    That's why this last minute legislation is idiotic. We are supposed to be the greatest country in the world yet we are one of if not the last country to dump analog.

8. evan_s

evan_s Hall Of Fame

Mar 3, 2008
    It could but running the digital and analogue signals both costs the station quite a bit of money just for the power for the transmitter. They can also get paid by the companies that won auctions for vacating them early.

9. BattleScott

BattleScott Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006
    The OP is asking whether or not a delay will alter DirecTV's strategy of concentrating on HD LiL markets vs. additional national HD channels. I don't think it will. They still need as many DMAs on-line as possible to attract new subscribers.

10. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    And DIRECTV has to be ready for stations whenever they switch, not when they are required to switch. :)

11. ziggy29

ziggy29 Icon

Nov 18, 2004
    San Antonio DMA
    Should have nothing to do with how D* offers locals in general or HD locals in particular that I can see.

12. dcowboy7

dcowboy7 Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2008
    Pequannock, NJ
    but it does mean 4 more months of fast forwarding on the dvr thru these insipid public service announcements (umm that obviously havent worked so well).

13. kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
    it will affect the local nbc here with a busted transmitter on that they use for digital and they won't repair it because they will flip to the other one when they convert.

14. Mariah2014

Mariah2014 Breaking the mold

Apr 21, 2006
    Somewhere...
    Do to the budgets of the local stations, I don't expect any of the locals here to have the analog signal up after that date and that includes the next closest market as well. These stations have already made cuts just to cover the cost now. Those who are just to stubern to change will just be without.

15. Jestr40

Jestr40 Godfather

Jul 22, 2007
    Our local Comcast station is running an add in the newspaper that PBS-HD will be made available on Feb. 17th. Could be a coincidence, but I believe it will be added as soon as the analog feeds are shut down. Comcast has been moving some channels one at a time to the digital tier to make room for the HD channels they have now.

16. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    I believe there already was one.

17. I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE CowboySooner

Oct 3, 2006
    Northern plains
    I believe this should be changed to "impending delay" Unbelievable. :mad::mad:

18. Jestr40

Jestr40 Godfather

Jul 22, 2007
    I don't understand who the delay is helping. The tv stations are ready, the cable companies are ready to retrieve the bandwidth and the emergency services that are getting the air space have already asked the Obama admin. not to delay. The only people that are being "helped" are the 6+ million (maybe) that have not upgraded. My guess is that you could delay it for a year and 90% of them STILL won't be ready.

19. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    Don't think so. I saw a one-minute test a couple weeks ago on our local Channel 7. 24-hour national test would have people screaming!

20. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Each TV station was required to run that test. If each station is running that test that equates a national test.