1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oppo BDP-93

Discussion in 'Blu-Ray Hardware' started by spartanstew, Sep 23, 2010.

1. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Oppo's bringing out a streaming BD player by xmas.

FIRST LOOK

2. David Ortiz

David Ortiz Save the Clock Tower!!

Aug 21, 2006
    Fresno, CA
    gimme gimme gimme

3. bobukcat

bobukcat Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2005
    Sweet! I hope they add Amazon VOD capability too! I wonder if my wife will notice if the 83 ends up replacing the Sammy in the bedroom and there is a new 93 sitting in the equipment rack in the theater room???

4. paja

paja Godfather

Oct 22, 2006
    Amazing! That is exactly what is going to happen in my house(except the 83 will be replacing a Sony).

5. Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon Hall Of Fame

Aug 17, 2006
    Got the prerelease model email today, and ordered about 1500 today. Looks like the first group will get these prerelease units very shortly.

6. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Got the Email too, but gonna pass for now.

I'll probably buy it eventually, but I'm in no hurry.

7. JM Anthony

JM Anthony Child of the 60's DBSTalk Gold Club

Nov 16, 2003
    This purchase was already green lighted with the missus, so when the e-mail came earlier today, I placed my order immediately. I eagerly await its arrival, hopefully next week!

John

8. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Some day when I can spend $500 on a Blu Ray player instead of getting any of 10 good units under $250....I'd sure consider an Oppo. I'll check my lottery tickets again tonight. :D

But thanks for sharing..the info supports the fact that Oppo makes good units. I actually got to use an "83" over this past weekend at a friends house.

9. Jason Whiddon

Aug 17, 2006
    Im still in the "oppo is overpriced crowd" , but they do come with a very nice chip for DVD scaling and streaming pq, but I already have that. I just figure I need to try an Oppo out once in my life.

I am really buying it for source direct, which I had on my Pio 320, so it'll send a untouched BR feed to my pre/pro.

10. Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2006
    Got the email too. I think I'll hold off on the 93 until I hear several reviews on video quality. Right now my 83 is the cream of the crop, the cat’s meow.

No need to buy the 93. On the other hand, if the 93 A/V quality is superior to the 83, I may have to start the “butter up” process on the wife. ;)

11. Jason Whiddon

Aug 17, 2006
    I think the DVD upconversion is a tad better, just from reading the beta guys comments, but it's not really going to get much better. Blu-ray looks good on most all new players.

Big deal with this player is better build, 3D, dual HDMI out, and streaming services.

12. Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2006
    cool

HDMI x2 would rule!
    3D = BFD
    Better DVD upconversion, WOW! That is crazy.

As for Netflix, I already have several ways to watch Netflix. Streaming not high on my list of needs in a blu-ray player.

13. Jason Whiddon

Aug 17, 2006
    Pamphlet and box for remote, cords, etc...
    [​IMG]

Remote and Wireless adapter
    [​IMG]

Front
    [​IMG]

Bottom (best rubber feet ive seen)
    [​IMG]

Rear
    [​IMG]

Off to drink beer and watch Noles vs Gates now. Gonna do the Dark Side of the Moon SACD and Last Airbender BR tomorrow.

14. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    I got the pre release email to order, too, and I was so tempted. The price is high, but I like the dual HDMI outputs...I could dump my POS Samsung 5900 (3D) & my excellent little LG 570.

Soooo tempting!

15. Jason Whiddon

Aug 17, 2006
    Hehe. Only reservation Ive seen is the fact the FW is still a little beta. My DVDO has a HDMI2 for passing only audio to the Denon, but it's got a bug sometimes. Im not a 3D guy, yet, but Ive already run the 2nd HDMI to the Denon. Will run source direct from the 93 to the DVDO.

Also looking forward to trying the SACD's, Im a virgin in this territory, but plan to JAM the Floyd tomorrow.

It appears Oppo will add Vudu, and if they add Amazon VOD, the Roku is goin bye bye.

The weight of this thing is ridiculous, its built like a tank, or they hid lead in it. Also has no fan and no vents, so I hope they designed it to run cool. I also wonder about the external wireless, but I guess they did that for improved SS.

16. sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    I've followed you and the others at the AVS thread a little bit. My only reservation is streaming those "special mkv" files of shows we PM'd about. My LG does a great job from my XP WMP server. The POS Sammy requires a 3rd party server called Mezzmo, yet the LG freezes with Mezzmo. How's the 93 handle it? I've read it does great with BR rip mkv done by owners & over USB drives. Any experience with those "special mkv" titles? ;)

17. Jason Whiddon

Aug 17, 2006
    Sorry none hehe :)

18. sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    My early Xmas gift will be here Wednsday...a new BDP-93. :joy::dance01::dance07:

19. David Ortiz

David Ortiz Save the Clock Tower!!

Aug 21, 2006
    Fresno, CA
    Awesome! I'll get mine as soon as I have some extra spending money. I could sell my copy of Hotel California on DVD-Audio, but then I wouldn't need the Oppo. LOL

20. sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    This thing is awesome!