1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Options for cutting the cord… the phone cord

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Tom Servo, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Icon

Mar 7, 2007
    I'm gonna be moving at the end of the month and I'm looking at options to cut costs at my new residence. One thing I'm eager to get rid of is phone service. Don't need it, don't want it, prefer cell phones instead.

The only thing is, I have three HD receivers currently and the DirecTV company line is "they need to be connected to phone lines for mirroring."

Are there any other ways around the phone line thing? I feel like it's a "hidden cost" to having multiple boxes that really makes DirecTV an expensive service. If I could have them all networked instead, that's doable. I'm gonna have internet anyway, but if I can do without phone service that's gravy.

Right now I'm seriously considering ditching DirecTV because of this. I can't really afford $90/month for TV and another $50/month for a phone I never ever ever use. It's just a waste.

As for alternatives, I won't know for sure until I go house hunting this weekend, but it looks like I'll have one of two cable choices, either a city-run utilities cable service with 39 HD channels, or CenturyLink, whose TV service is by… DirecTV. (Which means subscribing to their internet phone service, I guess, if you have multiple receivers?)

I really hate the idea of giving up DirecTV service that I've had for 12 years, but the phone line thing is just so 1990.

Any ideas?

2. kcaudiofx

kcaudiofx Legend

Dec 26, 2009
    Trust me you DO NOT NEED phone lines hooked up to receivers, the ONLY plus to phone lines being hooked up to them is the convienence of ordering PPV.. Well and to have caller id on your tv but you say you dont want a home phone so there is no use for it.. drop your phone and dont worry about what dtv says, there are NUMEROUS people that dont have a home phone, I am a dealer for d* and Id say out of the last 10 jobs I have done, only 2 had home phone service..

3. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    As mentioned, you don't need a phone line.

4. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Icon

Mar 7, 2007
    I certainly hope that's the case, then. I really don't want to lose DirecTV but when I moved four years ago the installers wouldn't proceed until I let them hook up all the receivers to the phone line.

About a decade ago I did order some PPVs and up until this last move, I used to get disconnected regularly because the two mirrored receivers weren't hooked up to any phone lines. So I just assumed they still called out regularly.

5. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    It's absolutely the case.

6. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Icon

Mar 7, 2007
    That's good news, then.

As it is I'll be losing a $10/month AT&T "bundling" credit after moving, so cost cutting is all the more important. Yet, as you all can easily understand, I love my DVR and HD picture. :)

7. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    You do NOT need a phone line.

I assume you will be getting internet access though? Hook it up to the net still, and then everything they did before via phone will now happen via internet...

Some installers will not want to hook you up though because they won;t get paid as much (10 a box as I recall) without hooking up a phone line...

I know I will never pay much for a home phone again.. I have vonage myself.. Also, you can always get measured rate services, which are usually a 10 a month bill.. Nice if you want a hard line for emergencies, like 911...

8. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Icon

Mar 7, 2007
    The measured rate thing is a probably a good idea, regardless.

I do plan on having internet. I suppose all the boxes have to be networked? As far as I know the other boxes (non DVR, H-21/H-22 I think) don't support Ethernet. :confused:

9. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    The boxes that don't support networking are the H20, R15, R16, and the standard receivers.

- Merg

10. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Icon

Mar 7, 2007
    Thanks for the info.

A quick check shows I have a H21 and an H20 in my bedroom.

11. Bsquared

Bsquared AllStar

Sep 12, 2007
    I do not have home phone and have no issues at all. I have the main DirecTV DVR connected through DSL, and the second reciever, an H20, not connected at all. I can still order with the PPV using the remote, at least on the main reciever.

BTW, we don't miss the home phone at all!

12. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    Interesting...I checked DirecTV's website and it says nothing about a phone line being needed for mirroring.

Why is it that installers say it's required?

Mike

13. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    The phone line requirement is in the Equipment Lease Agreement, so if you own your receiver, the phone line is technically not required. The Lease Equipment also states that the phone line is what allows you to mirror your subscription to other receivers.

I believe installers will not pass the IV test if the receiver is not connected to the phone line or they have to have a certain percentage of receivers connected by phone line.

- Merg

14. Xsabresx

Xsabresx Icon

Oct 8, 2007
    Isnt that all eliminated if the boxes are networked?

I get that a phoneline is not required as I havent had one hooked up in years, but I thought even when they were pushing the phoneline hard, it was "either networked or connected to phoneline".

15. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    When I was installed I did not have a home phone line (still don't...cell phones only) and I did not connect the receiver to my network until a week after the installation.

16. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    I see it in the Customer agreement now thanks.

(f) Phone Connections. For optimal performance of your Receiving Equipment, including ordering with your remote control or receiving certain Services, each of your receivers must be directly connected to the same land-based telephone line. If you add Service on additional TVs, you may purchase a separate subscription for each additional TV, or, if all your receivers are continuously connected to the same land-based telephone line, we can "mirror" programming to your additional TVs and charge you only the fee amount described in Section 2.

Link

Interesting, I don’t see anything about an internet connection. IIUC, technically, by this agreement there’s very little option. If you have more then one receiver you have to have a phone line to mirror your subscription or pay for a separate subscription for each additional receiver. :eek2:

We know that an internet connection works also so I suspect that it’s considered equivalent to a phone line? Maybe? Or not? :grin:

Mike

17. Barry in Conyers

Barry in Conyers Godfather

Jan 14, 2008
    Metro-Atlanta
    Whatever a given CSR says on a given day. Not the way to do things, but that's the reality.

18. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    Obviously, by now they have signed up lots of people who only have cell service.

19. ricochet

ricochet AllStar

Aug 21, 2006
    This is another of those rules that people ignore and then some of those same people jump all over anybody who fixes a broken fan or upgrades the hard drive in their DVR.

20. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    We ignore it because DirecTV does not care.

I wouldn't want to someday send a non-owned modified DVR back to DirecTV.