1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Options for hooking up another set?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Ed Campbell, Apr 22, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006
    Talked to a couple of tech support people, today. I'm probably upgrading our main set before the World Cup and will have an extra set to stick in the bedroom for fairly rare use.

1. One rep told me MRV will likely start in my neck of the prairie, late spring-early summer. Only hard-wired installations. I asked about wireless streaming because my network is 80211.n and supports streaming quite well. I was told only hard-wired for D* installers.

2. Another option would be utilizing existing coax to the bedroom + existing dish which can take a SWM + an additional receiver for the bedroom.

Generally, we're only going to have one set running at a time. That's the one in the living room.

Yes, it would be nice to have a couple more tuners available for early days during the World Cup; but, my brain can only take a certain level of dedication to my sports madness.

Are there other suggestions, options, that any of you think might work better?

I'm tending towards just sticking the redundant set in the bedroom and waiting for MRV.

2. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    If 802.11 (or hard-wired, powerline, etc.) works for you, fine. Directv will only install and support DECA networking.

3. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    When DirecTV says "hard-wired", they are referring to DECA, which more-or-less diplexes a type of Ethernet signal into your existing coax network. You won't need to run additional lines.

DECA will generally be more reliable and will perform better than WiFi, even N.

4. Starchy77

Starchy77 Godfather

Jul 18, 2008
    Even with MRV, you will still need an additional set top box to receive it, so MRV may not be what you are actually waiting for anyway???

5. Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006
    I have another HD-DVR in the guesthouse - which is unused most of the year. Just reactivated it for kin arriving in a couple of weeks.

After they leave, I think I'll hook it up for MRV experiments.

You're right though. That's not exactly what I want. I'd rather not have another STB - just stream HD from the living room HDDVR to the bedroom set.

Either wireless 80211.n or over the existing coax.

6. jodyguercio

jodyguercio Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Ed if you really don't want to keep the guest house IRD in use after kin have gone, you can always run component cables to the bedroom set. Granted you'll have both sets on the same channel, but unless someone wants to watch something else is it really a problem? Or invest in a slingbox.

7. MartyS

MartyS New Member

Dec 29, 2006
    The only hiccup with the slingbox on a single DVR is that you're still watching the same program as if you had component cables connected to the TV. I had to move my slingbox when I started changing channels on the TV my wife was watching from out of town :hurah:

8. jodyguercio

jodyguercio Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Didn't know that Marty as I don't have a Slingbox. Thanks :).

9. cosmo

cosmo AllStar

Mar 3, 2005
    thats the way to go you can even use coax with rca fittings for component you'll need 5 coax but it will work or get a really long hdmi form cablestogo dot com

10. Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006
    jodyguercio - closest to my present thinking.

I'm usually running only one TV; so, might look for a component to coax converter of some kind - since I have a coax run to the bedroom. Still have the original IR to RF to IR blaster gadgets we got with the first D* receiver 16 years ago to change channels. :)

11. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Ed, if you are okay with it being a standard def signal (you didn't say if the spare TV was SD or HD) it could be as simple as using an RF modulator and hooking that into your existing coax to send the signal upstairs on channel 3 or 4.

12. Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006
    Sorry. Forgot to mention. Old set and setup was SD - and I was using RF modulator.

Gave the last SD set in captivity to Goodwill, last week. New setup will be HD.

13. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    There's no feasible way to modulate HD to make the trip to the bedroom in HD over coax. HDMI extenders don't work over coax.

What you're left with if you don't run some lines of some sort is the good old RF modulator carrying an SD signal with sound.

14. EricRobins

EricRobins Godfather

Feb 9, 2005
    Sure there are. How do you think the cable co's do it. http://www.hdtvsupply.com/hdovercoax.html Its just that such devices do not exist in a consumer grade. (Or at least, I cannot find one.)

Is there a PC solution?

15. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    You'll note that I included the modifier "feasible". Home QAM is not now, nor will it likely ever be feasible.
    Click the Search tab above and enter the word "DIRECTV2PC".

16. EricRobins

EricRobins Godfather

Feb 9, 2005
    I guess it is technically "feasible" if $$ were no object. Either way, its way to expensive for most of us.

W/ respect to the PC solution, what I meant was, is there a "feasible" (i.e., for less than $1500) way to receive one or more HD inputs (preferably 1080p) into a PC and modulate that into an RG-59 (or RG-6) for distribution? Essentially, I am curious about replacing those boxes with a PC.

17. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The computer can produce an MPEG2 stream from component using a digitizer card, but it cannot solve the ATSC modulator problem.

It is the fervent desire of the movie companies that what your trying to accomplish doesn't happen and I'm sure they're putting plenty of pressure on the hardware people (through licensing of ATSC and HDCP technologies) to insure that end.

In case you didn't notice the $1,500 unit pointed out above depends on the "analog hole" for its source video (analog video inputs only).

18. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I gave up on wireless and I was using a new Cisco Linksys N router. Have eight 20-700s hooked up with Ethernet cables. Works fine, except for the damned random reboots. Have to reset the router and modem (don't really need to reset the modem, but I do it anyhow) after each random reboot. Seems like we take a step forward and a step back after each NR, doesn't it?

Rich

19. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    That's a toy I don't have! What could I do with it?

Rich

20. MartyS

MartyS New Member

Dec 29, 2006
    I have 2 slingboxes, one here at my home in FL and another at my brother in law's house in Chicago.

I can watch the one in Chicago on my computer, iPhone or TV (I have a Mac Mini connected as an HTPC) and watch the Cubs, Bears and Bulls.

WHen I'm on the road I can use my iPhone or laptop to watch shows recorded on my DVRs at home -- MRV works wonders for watching any recording over the slinbox connection to one of my HR's.

I also have a set of cables for my MacBook that lets me connect the output to the Red/White/Yellow inputs on most TV's so I can watch it from my computer on the TV.

Ton of information at http://slingbox.com/