Ordered a HR54, Receive HR54 and Mini-R

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by ColdCase, May 8, 2019.

1. May 8, 2019 #1 of 17
    ColdCase

ColdCase AllStar

Sep 10, 2007
    New England
    So I ordered an HR-54 and self install.
    I received an HR54-700 and a C61-500-R mini They were in two boxes and the mini was shipped a couple hours after the HR54.

Is that the usual? I didn't ask for a mini as I have a couple DVRs I wanted to keep running for awhile.

2. May 8, 2019 #2 of 17
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Do you want 4K?

3. May 8, 2019 #3 of 17
    compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    That mini isn’t doing 4k

4. May 8, 2019 #4 of 17
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    The C61K-700 is the only client available for 4K service.

5. May 8, 2019 #5 of 17
    b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    That is a way for AT&T to charge you $14 per month instead of $7 for just the HR54.

I WANT MORE likes this.
  6. May 8, 2019 #6 of 17
    ColdCase

ColdCase AllStar

Sep 10, 2007
    New England
    I have two other DVRs, don't need 4K.

7. May 8, 2019 #7 of 17
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Call them up. Tell them what happened and that you do not want to keep the c61 and get instructions on how to send it back.

8. May 9, 2019 #8 of 17
    ColdCase

ColdCase AllStar

Sep 10, 2007
    New England
    Well, it turns out to not be that easy..... tech support is getting pretty bad, seems even worse than six months ago during transitions.

They tell me the tech support rep that entered the order may not have done it quite right (I'm hearing thats more of a system fault than a rep fault). But then my original order confirmation looks right. I'm thinking, however, someone up the food chain changed my order, perhaps after they shipped the HR54. It was changed to a replacement instead of an add on. So both my DVRs went 726 as soon as I activated the HR54. Refreshing and reset no work so I called tech support to resolve. I spent probably 3 hours on the phone with them. They tell me I currently have a so called receiver discrepancy with one DVR. The DVR is active on the network map, she can see it, but it doesn't show up in my account. So they can't touch it or reauthorize it. They had several reps and supervisors try to manipulate their system to straighten out the discrepancy but failed in the end. The only solution, short of a wholesale upgrade, is to replace the discrepant DVR. This is probably a remanent of the issue I had 6 months ago, when I swore I'd never touch it again. I'm a slow learner. She thanked me for being a loyal ATT customer....

She was about ready to have a replacement HDDVR shipped when she hit a snag. The system would not let her ship one. It is forcing a tech install. Now 6 months ago I also ran into that catch 22. Techs only carry genies now days, they don't do HDDVR or reciver replacements and the tech was pretty pissed about being sent out and wasting his time, especially after they sent him out the third time. I mentioned this to the tech support rep, but she tells me her hands are tied. I am not looking forward to facing an unhappy tech that won't be able to do anything but complain, even if he wanted to. 6 months ago he made a note in my account that the receiver wasn't working and to have one shipped, the note wasn't being seen by tech support.... after a few calls and visits and being blown off by the tech I finally got that resolved. I have nothing against the tech, I could sense his frustration.

My bad for not disconnecting the DVR's coax before activating the HR54. The spouse will be pissed about losing episodes she was going to catch up with this weekend. I may be sleeping on the couch for awhile.... :(. I lost a couple games.

Last edited: May 9, 2019
  9. May 9, 2019 #9 of 17
    ColdCase

ColdCase AllStar

Sep 10, 2007
    New England
    Just an update... for those looking forward to making some changes...

The tech didn't show up today. I tried using the chat feature and requested status. I was told he was running late and wouldn't be getting to us today. I mentioned that this visit was just to replace a bad receiver. After a bit of a wait the rep replied that they will send me a replacement to swap out for the $20 shipping/handling charge, which I objected to and they dropped.... I think... . So yesterday it was a $199 charge with a free tech visit, today it is a $20 charge....

Later I received emails saying I need to return all the equipment (three receivers and a client) right away to avoid non-return charges... like if my account was canceled.... the nice rep at the 800-531-5000 phone number checked an said to just ignore the emails, everything seems to be in good shape. ...

10. codespy

codespy The Pack is getting sacked!! DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Seasonal
    What a fricking nightmare....are you still on legacy DirecTV billing, or morphed into the newer AT&T?

11. dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    Earth
    A few years ago this would have shocked me.
    Now nothing ATT does shocks me.

12. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    A few years ago, this exact sceniaro wouldn't have surprised me.

compnurd likes this.
  13. ColdCase

ColdCase AllStar

Sep 10, 2007
    New England
    I think I was migrated to ATT about 6 months ago. I've also been an ATT wireless customer for years, since they bought out Cellular One. So they do have a tendency to try to treat me right. Routine stuff they seem to do OK with, but bad tools and inexperienced reps don't seem to help do anything out of the ordinary. The tech folks can't seem do anything about billing except adding notes to the account. The billing/sales folks don't seem to be able to do tech stuff. I'm not sure if that is for employee theft/fraud protection, or its just poor implementation.

I must say the equipment is working well, and up until a few years ago ATT cellular provided pretty good support but that seems to have gone to crap too.

Rich likes this.
  14. dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    Earth
    If they are adding proper notes to your account they should have known who to send the first time in order to reach the dish on your roof.
    Most companies would starve if they had to do three service trips to fix an installation. All of which was unnecessary if they had good records and smart dispatchers.

15. ColdCase

ColdCase AllStar

Sep 10, 2007
    New England
    So the next chapter is UPS dropping off an H-24 receiver today, not the replacement HR-24 DVR that was ordered. They are going to try again.... It seems like orders are being changed along the way, but I dunno ....

Seems like they have no record of the genie client they sent me that I don't need. I'll return it anyway.

16. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Beginning to see what a nightmare D* has become since the merger? Damn shame you have to go thru this.

Rich

17. whorne

whorne New Member

Dec 3, 2011
    Well, what did you get? Just curious how your situation is going.