Ordered new HD receiver which model will I get

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by rob316, Jun 13, 2009.

1. rob316

rob316 Legend

Jun 29, 2008
    Ordered new HD receiver which model will I get? Will it be the H21 or H23?

2. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    Could be anything from a refurb H20 to a H23, it all depends. If it coming of a tech's truck. If you bought it retail it will be NIB but could still be H21 or H23.

3. rob316

rob316 Legend

Jun 29, 2008
    I ordered it from the DTV website, hopefully I get the H21 or H23.

4. doctrsnoop

doctrsnoop Godfather

Nov 20, 2007
    H21 is probably most likely, though 20 and 23 are possible

5. LoganSquare

LoganSquare Cool Member

May 25, 2007
    One does take one's chances.

I called last week to add one more receiver, have two H20-100's installed and in use, so will have three HD units if all works out.

Reason for the add is I can't get local OTA consistently using a variety of antennas on the third set. Tuning the various channels gets to be a twist and shout exercise due to the placement of the various local station's broadcasting antennas.

So I check the website and find out there is a special offer, appparebtly because I'm a long time loyal customer with a timely payment record. So I call rather than web order as I will need some wiring and apparently a SWM. Sure sounded simple enough over the phone. CSR was polite and helpful and install was scheduled for Sunday, what a suprise on that, between four and eight p.m..

Oops! Sunday comes and goes and I'm the victim of the infamous "no show". The no show is after I get a D* automated call at 7:45 p.m. indicating the installer will be there in fiftheen minutes if install still wanted and to which I answered yes. Oh well.

Called early a.m. today and spoke to a CSR. He contacted the local installing company and I get a call back from installing company indicating install rescheduled for today asap. Installer shows up with a refurbished H20-600, not good as that particular model is troublesome to begin with, so I refuse the install.

Call CSR and get to 2nd level and talk to another polite and helpful CSR guy. Explain my concern with the H20-600. I explain to the CSR that H20-100 is acceptable, H21 is better and H23 is great but not a H20-600. He is sympathetic and understanding. It seems he may be aware that the H20-600 is a troublesome unit but says that the best he can due is create a new order and hope that they send something other than the H20-600.

So now have a new install order in place for tomorrow.

Keeping ny fingers crossed but if that doesn't work it will be cancel, forget it, and call Comcast, polite spelling, to see what they have to offer.

Note to D* rep if you see this.

It shouldn't be this hard.

I realize the units don't come cheap and if at all possible you will repair a faulty unit and send it out again, good management practice, but if you have units that consistently cause problems it would also seem to be good management practice to can them and not burden the customer with marginal equipment. Yes I do realize "marginal" is my opinion but please remember that I'm one of the many that help support management through my monthly bill.

logan square

6. rob316

rob316 Legend

Jun 29, 2008
    For anyone interested they sent me the H20-600 POS. How the heck am I suppose to stream pics and music to it with no ethernet port or MRV for that matter. I am on the phone with D right now to return it. I will go to Best Buy and get the H21 or hopefully H23 tomorrow.

7. LoganSquare

LoganSquare Cool Member

May 25, 2007
    Just a follow up on my previous post.

Second install would have been another H20-600. Again canceled. According to the installer I talked to the only thing their shipping into his shop at this time is the H20-600.

Another call back to D* ended up with a disconnect during the conversation, whoopee! Twenty minutes wasted.

Another call back to D* for negotions on a purchase from BB. Success! Out to BB and picked up the last H21 on their shelf. No doubt they will have H23's on the shelf if I go back next week but I need one now.

Tied up about two and one half hours on the phone with D* overall. The take away from all of this is that your best option, if your adding to an existing setup, is to go out and buy the unit you want and then negotiate with them for any credits you can get.

8. rob316

rob316 Legend

Jun 29, 2008
    Update on my status called D to return the POS H20-600, they are sending me the return kit. Went to Best Buy bought the H21-200, hooked it up and activated. Very happy camper here.:):):):):):hurah: