1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ordered today, have question about dish though

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by dukenole, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Apr 9, 2009 #1 of 15
    dukenole

dukenole New Member

Apr 9, 2009
    I signed up for Directv today. I received an order confirmation which includes the 4 receivers (2 HD-DVRs and 2 standard boxes). For the dish it says "DIRECTV® 5-LNB Multi-Satellite Dish". Is this a generic name or this exactly what I will be getting? I'm confused because everything I read said that new customers with 5-8 tuners would receive a SWMline dish. Is it possible that's what I'll be receiving anyway? I ordered 6 tuners, no international channels and am a new customer. Install guy is coming tomorrow. If he doesn't bring a SWMline dish, what are the odds I can get him to come back at a later date with one? Thanks in advance.

2. Apr 9, 2009 #2 of 15
    WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    He will install What ever Dish he has on his truck.

3. Apr 9, 2009 #3 of 15
    timmmaaayyy2003

timmmaaayyy2003 Hall Of Fame

Jan 27, 2008
    Chances are that you would get what is on the work order unless you are in one of the areas that are getting SWM by default. You won't know until the installer gets there and there is little chance of getting specific equipment unless the installer deems it necessary for your install or you are willing to pay for it.

4. Apr 9, 2009 #4 of 15
    dukenole

dukenole New Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Interesting, I thought I read somewhere that all orders created within the parameters I listed above were automatically put through the system as a SWMline install. It would be alot easier for him to install a SWMline since I live in a townhome and don't have multiple cables coming out of the wall either upstairs or downstairs. At this point, should all installers have SWMs in their inventory and they just pick and choose which they want to install?

5. Apr 9, 2009 #5 of 15
    MrShowtime

MrShowtime Legend

Apr 8, 2009
    No, we are supposed to install whats on the work order :(

6. Apr 9, 2009 #6 of 15
    dukenole

dukenole New Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Is my order confirmation the same as the work order? Will I see the work order prior to him showing up?

7. Apr 9, 2009 #7 of 15
    MrShowtime

MrShowtime Legend

Apr 8, 2009
    I have never actually looked at a customers order confirmation so I'm not sure. And you won't see the work order until he arrives with it.

8. Apr 9, 2009 #8 of 15
    Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    Nope

9. Apr 9, 2009 #9 of 15
    jpradil

jpradil New Member

Jun 21, 2008
    I have Dish but want to switch to Direct tv with the same set up you are getting. What type of price structure did you get? I plan to go thru AAA and also use my son as a referral. One of the suggestions I wrote down was to have the installer record a portion of a program before he leaves to make sure it works properly. Also want a remote/RF cabability and no activation fee. You might also a $20 credit by signing up on line for auto pay. Good luck.

10. MrShowtime

MrShowtime Legend

Apr 8, 2009
    -Most good installers will test the HD before they leave. I always record about a minute of a show and replay after I finish. Ensures that it works and educates the customer on how to do it.

-The 2x HD/DVR's come with RF remotes in the box, you just have to follow the setup. The standard recievers aren't RF compatible

11. WebTraveler

WebTraveler Icon

Apr 9, 2006
    I just had Directv installed; I previously had Dish Network. My recommendation to any customer - find a local dealer who will do what you want; they will show up on time, and they will do it correctly the first time. Yes, you won't get the super promo rebate you get at Costco or Best Buy. But you can qualify for the friend referral. I've done this many different ways over my tenure and it just saves a lot of hassle.

12. dukenole

dukenole New Member

Apr 9, 2009
    I got the ongoing deal ($21/month discount, free hd-dvr, etc.). In addition, the AAA discount added an additional $10/mth off for 24 mths and another upgrade to either a free hd or dvr, or half off another hd-dvr. all-in-all, the two hd-dvr's and two standard rcvr were $99, not bad.

13. jpradil

jpradil New Member

Jun 21, 2008
    I hope the new dish can mount on the same pole I now have -the road here curves a lot but a neighbor's down the street seems to point in the similiar direction.

14. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    That's the generic way of saying "Slimline." All HD customers get a Slimline. The online "work order" will not specify the LNB type, but the installer's work order (which is the real one) will.

15. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    A Slimline requires a 2 in. OD mast, most of the others are 1-5/8 in.

If you go to http://www.dishpointer.com you can view a Google map photo of your house with the angle overlaid.