Ordering AM21 Questions

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by curlyjive, Jan 10, 2009.

1. curlyjive

curlyjive AllStar

Jun 13, 2007
    So I had my dish replaced today to address an issue with my HD channels dropping out and my 103c signals dropping to 0.

The new dish and new Bband converters did not help.

So I called and got them to send out a replacement HDDVR under the protection plan. I tried to get them to sell me the AM21, but because they don't know what box I'll get they won't sell it to me until I receive it.

I was annoyed because I highly doubt I will get an HR20 and from what I have read the AM21 works with the HR21, 22, and 23 units. (please correct me if I am wrong). I tried explaining this to no avail.

Now my question. There are several sites where I can order an AM21 on my own. I know it's a bit more expensive. But other than that, is there any downside to me just ordering on my own rather than waiting for the box to come and then having to deal with support again?

I'd gladly pay $20 extra to avoid another call to support, and who knows if that will go well.

So again, if I just order the AM21 on my own, is there a downside? Will I still be able to use it even though I didn't purchase directly from Directv?

Is there a retailer anyone has had a good experience with?

Thanks for your help?

2. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    You can order another from some where else and it will work just as if you got it from DIRECTV. But you may want to wait and see what you get because if you do get an HR21, HR22, or HR23 you may be able to get DIRECTV to supply you an AM21 for free since you had an HR20 and was using the OTA tuners. No guarantee but I believe some have got it free because of that.

3. curlyjive

curlyjive AllStar

Jun 13, 2007

I HIHGLY doubt I'd get it free. I get my locals in HD. I want the OTA for backup, but really I use the OTA over the Sat for locals b/c of slightly better picture quality. But they won't go for that.

What are the odds I get an HR20? I would guess close to 0.

Any chance I get an HR23? Are they becoming more widespread?

4. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    The local HSPs are running out the supply of HR22s and most are starting to receive HR23s now, but may still have a mix. They also periodically receive pallets of refurbs, which could be anything, and they're supposed to use refurbs for receiver replacements.

DirecTV's internal order system is programmed to prevent ordering an AM21 until you have a compatible receiver activated on your account, so there's nothing the CSRs could have done.

5. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    It all depends on what the HSP gives the installer.

After you have a HR21-23 on your account, you can order the AM21 from the Directv website and won't need to contact a CSR. I saw one post where the installer brought a customer a HR23 and AM21 as part of the installation, so anything may be possible.

6. curlyjive

curlyjive AllStar

Jun 13, 2007
    Hmmm...

There is a new pending order on the website:

HD-DVR IRD HR20
    Free

So I wonder if that means I am getting an HR20 refurb, or if it just means the HR20 is being replaced and the decison as to what I get is made depending on what is available at the warehouse?

Any insight?

I wouldn't mind getting an HR20, but a newer model would be nice mainly b/c it goes with all my other black components.

7. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Icon

Jul 24, 2007
    I bought a new HR22 in September, and when I activated it I told the person at D* that I wanted an AM21 since I get my locals OTA. He said he would send it to me free, but he couldn't figure out how to order it for some reason. I told him that I could see it on the web site and could order it, and that I would do so if he would agree to credit me the $50. He agreed. I ordered it and got it 3 days later, and my account was credited the $50. Even the shipping was free. All I ended up paying for was the tax.

If you are only using the AM21 rarely for OTA back up why not wait and see what happens. You could save yourself a bunch of bucks.

SMK

8. curlyjive

curlyjive AllStar

Jun 13, 2007

Well that's the thing, I use it always instead of the Sat locals. But just as important is the backup reliability. But you're right, I could just wait and order it once I get a replacement. I just want to be sure either way that I have OTA, so it makes me a bit nervous not knowing what is going to show up.

I just wonder if the order notes mean I am getting another hr20-100. The problem is, if it is an HR20-700 refurb I am going to be pissed b/c I use coax not optical. Crap, just thought of that. Wonder if I can get them to issue a different replacement if that (albeit slim) chance were to occur.

9. OnTheRidge

OnTheRidge Cool Member

Jan 10, 2009
    I live in ZIP 06877 ... my DMA is NYC, but we recieve Hartford/New Haven locals OTA (and we prefer to NYC for local weather/politics, etc.). If we add an AM21 to our HR21, will the guide work correctly for us, or will it want to show the NYC locals?

thanks.

10. bobnielsen

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    The area shown in the guide is based on a zip code you enter in the setup. You can also enter a secondary zip code and get two areas, so you should be in good shape.

11. OnTheRidge

OnTheRidge Cool Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Great! Thanks for the quick response. I'm ordering one tonight.

12. reds1963

reds1963 Godfather

Aug 28, 2007
    Columbus,Ohio
    i just got mine for free 3 days after install of hr23-700, which replaced a
    hr20-100 which replaced a hr20-700 ..hmmmmmm seems they only last 1 year ..(dam things )

13. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    few weeks ago I got an rh20 in exchange for an hr20.
    it had broken hdmi out so was immediately exchanged again, but you might get an hr20.

14. curlyjive

curlyjive AllStar

Jun 13, 2007
    If it was an hr20-100, I'm fine with it, but a 700 and I can't use it. That will be an interesting support call. I really don't care what I get as long as it works and is NOT an HR20-700. But with my luck that's exactly what I'll get out of all the possible models and variations:nono2:

15. curlyjive

curlyjive AllStar

Jun 13, 2007
    What went wrong with both HR20's? And how do you like your 23? Noticeably better at all?

16. AndrewF

AndrewF New Member

Jan 11, 2009
    That is what my account has showed since last Saturday. I called back yesterday and was told that the units are on back order and they didnt know when they would come in.

The rep offered for me to go to my local retailer, pick up a unit and when I call to "activate" it, they would credit me whatever I paid for it at the retailer. Since I have/had an HR20 and heavily used OTA, they agreed to cover the costs of an AM21.

I will be calling in a bit to get my purchase price credit and the AM21 shipped.

Note: I did have to let the BestBuy rep know this, otherwise they wanted me to activate it in the store.

17. curlyjive

curlyjive AllStar

Jun 13, 2007
    I don't think they are back ordered where I am. I was told I would receive mine in 2-3 days...so by the end of the week since I called on Sat.

I'm just nervous about what I will get.

18. Rence

Rence Cool Member

Sep 3, 2007
    I have an HR20, just ordered two more HD DVRs. At the time of the order I also ordered one AM21 - since I knew that for the most part they were not shipping HR20s anymore (we got 2 HR22s). The 2 DVRs arrived but no AM21, went on-line, it showed that the order had shipped completed. Called up to see what happened to the AM21 - was told that I could not order one because we get HD locals (we don't get CBS, PBS or CW is HD). Called retention said I wanted to buy an AM21, told that they couldn't sell me one because we get HD locals. It does not showup on the website for me to order. I am going to have to order it from a third-party vendor as DTV absolutely refuses to sell me one.

19. bobnielsen

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    Where did you look on the web site? It should show up under "Add Kits & Equipment". At least it does for me and I receive HD locals. It might not show up until you have activated a HR21/22/23, however.

20. curlyjive

curlyjive AllStar

Jun 13, 2007
    Well,

I took my chances and ordered an AM21 from ABT. I paid a bit more, but I'd rather that than deal with CS on this. There is a chance I get another HR20 box...in that case maybe someone here will want to buy it off me. If I get an HR20-700, they'll have to exchange it anyway....so we'll see.