1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ordering RFD TV only

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by burry31, Oct 17, 2008.

1. burry31

burry31 New Member

Oct 17, 2008
    I'm looking to order RFD TV just get the Imus show. I already have cable so I'm not interested in ordering any other package. Dish network website shows I can order for $1.99 plus $6 service access fee. Now my question is if it's possible if I buy used equipment off ebay and get the channel activated without contracts, credit checks, etc. Thanks in advance.

2. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    Did you call Dish Network and ask?

3. EXTACAMO

EXTACAMO Godfather

Apr 6, 2007
    I don't think that would be possible. I mean you can't call your local cable co. and say "I just want 1 channel." I'm pretty sure some package would have to be subscribed to and also some commitment would have to entered into. But, by all means give them a call. Let us know what they tell you.

4. max1

max1 Godfather

Aug 12, 2005
    If you just want to listen to Immus it would be cheaper to just listen to it on the internet. Here is a link to his website. Seems like more trouble to me to just hear a show--http://www.imusonair.com/ If I am right you have to get a least a month to month contract-wouldn't be worth it to me.

5. burry31

burry31 New Member

Oct 17, 2008

my local cable company doesnt carry rfd which is the reason i looked into getting the channel via satellite. directv doesnt offer the channel a la carte but dish does.

6. FTA Michael

FTA Michael Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2002
    It'll work except for the parts about contracts and credit checks. You will have to sign some sort of contract, although you won't need to have any long-term commitment. And I'm not sure whether Dish will need a credit check; you will be owing them $7.99/month, even though it'll usually be paid in advance.

7. JohnH

JohnH Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    The access fee is there to avoid purchasing a package.

8. EXTACAMO

EXTACAMO Godfather

Apr 6, 2007
    I was just generalizing. I never heard of any provider doing that. But I guess just because I never heard of it doesn't mean it can't be done.

9. Cold Irons

Cold Irons AllStar

Dec 7, 2005
    Imus? Good lord - can't you get the same effect by repeatedly hitting yourself in the head with a hammer ?? :D

10. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    RFD should be available without a package as it IS offered a la carte. DISH will charge you $6 per month for not having a package, on top of the channel's fee. Many have done this to get theri locals (and just their locals) via satellite or other a la carte offerings.

11. EXTACAMO

EXTACAMO Godfather

Apr 6, 2007
    If you go through with this you will need to point your dish a Echostar VIII@110W orbital location. That is where RFD-TV is. Good luck with it.

12. photostudent

photostudent Godfather

Nov 8, 2007
    I am going to check Dish's website! I could live with four or five Sat channels plus OTA HD. But isn't all Dish equipment leased?

13. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    No ... there is plenty of non-lease equipment available. For just RFD TV I'd pick up a 301 (a new one) for cheap on eBay. But you can buy any receiver (for a price) from DISH or from a reseller.

14. JohnH

JohnH Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Except that EchoStar VIII is more than halfway to 77w. :)
    It is EchoStar 11 at 110w now.

For that matter, if it is an MPEG4 receiver RFDTV is also on EchoStar VI at 72.7w as part of the Eastern Arc service..

15. derek5L

derek5L New Member

Oct 14, 2008
    Look into buying the Free For All system and then add the "locals only" package and RFD for a monthly bill of 11.98 without a contract.

16. jclewter79

jclewter79 Hall Of Fame

Jan 8, 2008
    IF by "free for all" system you mean a prepaid system, that will not work. Local are not availble with the prepaid system. You can get a new system installed without a contract from dish but I think you have to have at least an AT package. Your best bet is to call a local contractor in your area and ask them about purchasing a system. You could probably purchase a new 301 and get it installed without a contract for around $150 dollars or less.

17. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    RFD is also in the "Family Pack", although it shows up on an different channel number way up high in the 4-digit range (it's in the red on it's regular 3-digit channel number on family pack systems).

My Mom had Family Pack and I told her about another program on RFD that she may have been interested in. I knew it was supposed to be included in FP, so when I saw it not listed in the clear at it's normal channel number I called E*. The CSR wanted to sell it to her a'la carte. I then told the CSR that I knew it was included in FP and that is when I was told where to find it. Angel 2 is now also up there as well. Why does E* do this? Why can't this channel be on the same number for every package it's on?

18. EXTACAMO

EXTACAMO Godfather

Apr 6, 2007
    Oops. Sorry about that bogus info. That was my interpretation from the E* website.

19. Jon Ellis

Jon Ellis Godfather

Dec 28, 2003
    I have been able to add one of my mom's old receivers to my account with no problem and no new committment, but it's an existing account so that may be different than a completely new customer.

An alternative to the $6 access fee is the $10 "welcome pack," which is available but isn't promoted on their website, other than in a press release. It includes about 20 brand-name channels (Comedy, CNN, Discovery, etc.), plus the PI channels you'd normally get with the access fee (C-SPAN, TBN, Link TV, etc.) Welcome pack with locals is $15.

20. FTA Michael

FTA Michael Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2002
    Here's a list I found for the Welcome Pack. Corrections are welcome, but this list doesn't have CNN or Discovery per se.

AMC
    Bloomberg Television
    Boomerang
    Comedy Central
    Country Music Television
    Discovery Kids
    Food Network
    Hallmark Channel
    The History Channel
    Home & Garden Television
    The Home Shopping Network
    MSNBC
    MTV 2
    Shop NBC
    TBS
    TLC
    Oxygen
    QVC
    We
    The Weather Channel

Plus the PI channels, which can be activated on request for any active account.