1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Organizing Coax Home runs

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by dstout, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Nov 3, 2009 #1 of 17
    dstout

dstout Legend

Jul 19, 2005
    I have around 20 home runs of coax pulled to a wall in my basement. I am only running 2 receivers(dual tuner SD DVR), and have the signal split off to a few more locations. All the wire look like crap where they are. Any suggestions? I have just been in the house for 8 years so I figure it is time I do something.

2. Nov 3, 2009 #2 of 17
    rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    Attach a piece of plywood or OSB to the wall, then coil each wire and secure it to the board with tie-down (that's what I did with my spares). Oh, and label them, too!

3. Nov 4, 2009 #3 of 17
    joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Word!

Joe

4. Nov 4, 2009 #4 of 17
    ffemtreed

ffemtreed Icon

Jan 30, 2008
    you could terminate them into a patch panel as well for a really professional looking job.

I would also try and get as much cable back into the wall to hide it.

At my old house I actually used my router to route grooves in the MDF I used as a wallboard and drilled holes for the cable to come out. Another option is to put some 1X1 strips on each side of the board you are going to attach to the wall and hide the cable coils between the space of the wall and the board.

5. Nov 4, 2009 #5 of 17
    rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    Great ideas! And I do like the wood board panel as opposed to trying to stuff a bunch of cable into a cabinet.

6. CJTE

CJTE Hall Of Fame

Sep 17, 2007
    Spares?? What spares?
    (They thought I was crazy when I wanted to run 4 RG6 and 3 CAT6... Who's crazy now!?) hahaha.

7. Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2006
    A Galaxy...
    A simple cable patch panel should serve you well and be easy enough to retrofit back into your wall between 2 studs:

[​IMG]

8. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    That cabinet is not going to support 20+ coax pulls plus all the multiswitches that are going to be required to drive them.

9. Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2006
    A Galaxy...
    It most definately would.

Besides the fact that the picture indicates lan and cat6/6 phone drops (which in his case he didn't mention so those spaces can hold various splitters, amps, switches etc), you may want to reread his origional post.

To recap, he states that he has 20 cable pulls; however only 2 sd dvrs (which at max would only account for 4 drops) in his current setup. Some of the remaining drops are split back out from the output of the dvs for redistribution to other room locations.

So what are we talking about really. If he has a newer hd dish there is no multiswitch involved what-so-ever in his setup. Even if he adds a few more dvrs only (1) 6x8 switch would be required and that's if he doesn't replace his current dvrs and go with the newer swm lnb to compatible receiver replacements up to and including HD DVRs.

Lets assume he also either has or will add an OTA antenna feed and a few modulators into the mix for redistribution; there's still plenty of room for growth in even the enclosure size I pictured.

In any event it was an example of what to expect; not a specific model to get.

10. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    OK, I assumed all 20 drops needed to be connected to a port on a switch (or SWM module). Still, cabinets designed to fit between studs are very cramped to work with when you have more than a dozen connections. I've done this before, and I greatly prefer just putting everything on a board. It may not look as clean, but it's so much easier to manage. Of course given the space and money, the best solution is a rack mount system, but few residential homes have the room for that.

11. pfp

pfp Whatever

Apr 28, 2009
    If only they ended up that neat. ;)

12. Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2006
    A Galaxy...
    I thought you might have misread the post from your origional answer.

At any rate working in an enclosure such as I posted is a snap and not "cramp" as you eluded. If you take a closer look all modules are removable on the fly for easier connection of cables, routing cables etc. Once all connections desired are made, they simply snap into place. That way you are not working within studs at the normal 16" or 32" spacing.

I use the most functional as well as cosmetic option. The only time I make and use mounting boards is if all runs are cetralized in the attic.

13. Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2006
    A Galaxy...
    They do if you plan it out well in lue of just connecting.

I use them all the time and each and every one looks neat and tidy.

14. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    Well, that's my setup - plenty of room to work there and a "keyless" fixture right in front of it for plenty of light. I've done the same thing in basements, too. Now, if I had to wire into a closet, yeah, I'd look for an enclosure.

15. kucharsk

kucharsk Godfather

Sep 19, 2006
    I like the Leviton Media Versatile Panel myself, though it may be a bit cramped for your installation:

[​IMG]

16. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008

What I Did was take 4'x8' sheet of MDO ( homedepot or Lowes) , then got a Face plate (of double rg6 pass thru's) two per plate. I cut out 10 opening (spaced) Put all the cable slack in-between the studs and brought out all the cable ends thru the cut holes and installed ends and attached the face plates and screwed them in place.

I then mounted leviton 12 port Cat5 blocks (two) attached to the same board and terminated all my cat5, I then made rg6 jumper cables to connect all my receivers and used pre-made patch cables for my network.

17. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    Photos? :)