OT: Has Anyone Hooked up a SlingMedia SlingBox Yet?

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by Kricket, Mar 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kricket

Kricket Legend

Nov 18, 2005
    hey everyone,

hopefully this off-topic thread wont get on too many people's nerves - but i think this would be the best place to ask this question:

i am seriously contemplating getting a slingmedia slingbox now that i finally got my 622 installed - with the 811 i had previously, only one output worked so it would have been pretty much pointless - but now that i can have more than one output hooked up - i think this would be a fantastic device (especially for travelling)

anyway - has anyone hooked one up to a 622 yet? how do you like it so far? is it relatively easy to setup and is there a preferred method of setting it up?

amazon has these things on sale now for 199 so i think it would be a pretty good deal - any input is greatly appreciated!

2. Powie

Powie Cool Member

Apr 8, 2006

So did you get your Slingbox? I've been thinking of one, or one of the Sony Location Free TV things since I just ordered a PSP. I would love to have the slingbox stuff built into the 622. Though E* would probably want to charge me more which would push me to the slingbox.

3. UTFAN

UTFAN Legend

Nov 11, 2005
    Dish will charge you a Slingbox 622 access fee, a fee to cover the expense of accounting for the other fees, plus a DBStalk fee for posting bad stuff about DISH. If you post good things about DISH they charge you 299 dollars, but 200 dollars is refunded after the first month of good postings.

Nickel and Diming, the next generation.

4. Kricket

Kricket Legend

Nov 18, 2005
    actually - i never did get it - i still havent received verification that it really works with dish network

hopefully - someone with one might be so kind as to reply to this thread :)

5. socceteer

socceteer Icon

Apr 22, 2005
    Well... This I can answer

I actually have connected at home a Sling box, a Sony PSP LocationFree and the first original Sony LocationFree box.

I have all of them connected to my wireless router and I use cable as my internet provider.

The LocatinFree TV and SlingBox give you a place to connect your cable if you have cable and 2 more component devices as inputs, they also provide you with 2 IR eyes to control your cable or dish boxes. So you will be able to view 2 possible inputs (cable, Dish and DVD and an example) With this setup you will be able to control you DVD, Dish and your cable (if you have cable) remotely from any computer. the PSP LocationFree also runs off the PSP, that is the only difference.

Location Free will only let you install the software in 2 PCs maximum, Slingbox is not restricted to 2.

Now regarding picture quality and usability. They both have a good usability GUI, but I prefer SlingBox. Also when it comes to picture quality SiligBox WINS hands down. it seams to control the streaming much better. Keep in mind that the upload speed makes a difference in the quality. For good quality Location Free requires at least 350K upload speed. SlingBox only requires 250K upload. Most internet suppliers do not supply more than 275K upload speed. Unless you have a business line.

I use both away from home and clearly prefer SlingBox for the picture quality. With LocationFree the picture is inconsistent. You can change the rate, but if you lower the rate too much, then the picture is almost not worth it.

Now regarding the question if it works with Dish receiver...the answer is "YES" I have not tried it with the 622, but we are talking about RF signals that should work.

I would connect the TV2 output to the Slingbox input and run on Dual mode. The only problem with this method is that I am not sure about how the remote control will work since it needs to respond to the TV2 remote codes not to the TV1. Or just using the S-video and audio (you may have to use a splitter for the audio) output from Tv1 connect it to the SlingBox input.

The way I run it today is off a standard Dish receiver. But I am sure you all want to be able to watch your recorded shows on the road, so the 622 is what you want. I am sure it will work, I just have to figure it out.

6. whatchel1

whatchel1 Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2006
    Don't see why it wouldn't work. It just take a composite input and then outputs to computers via ethernet connection.

7. socceteer

socceteer Icon

Apr 22, 2005
    yes...but I see my appendabout the remote control

8. JamesB

JamesB New Member

Apr 22, 2006
    I have a slingbox hooked up to a DirecTV R15 and connected via a wireless game adapter on my home network. I'm using cable as my broadband ISP. I am very pleased with it after a month of use. Since I travel to several countries, it is nice to have the ability to view my own television programming where ever I'm at on my laptop. I have yet to stay in a hotel location that didn't have internet connectivity good enough for decent picture quality.

James.

9. obermi

obermi Mentor

Mar 12, 2005
    I was told by slingbox people that the 622 will not work with the Singbox. I got the following message:

""Thank you for contacting Sling Media support.

I understand that you would like to see what devices will work with the
    SlingBox™. The DishNetwork 522 is supported but the VIP622 is not.
    Another device may have the same IR code that the 622 uses.
    The SlingPlayer™ Mobile (according to the Compatible Devices list at http://www.slingmedia.com/slingbox/slingplayermobile.php)
    does not list the Palm 650. It does list the Palm Treo 700.""

10. ayalbaram

ayalbaram Legend

Aug 4, 2003
    The slingbox does work with the 622 and you can use the remote codes from any dishnetwork dvr (best to use a dual tuner DVR such as the 522)

11. hgeyer

hgeyer Mentor

Dec 3, 2004
    While everyone's talking Slingbox, let me say that I've had one attached to my 921 for the past 3 months and it is awesome. I've got a 622 on order, so I'm interesting on compatibility with other IR codes. A few points I'd like to make (for those who care):

1. Echostar recently invested something like $25 million and became a minority investor in Sling Media. I'd expect Sling-like technology sometime in the future - though it could be a while.

2. When running the set up program for the Sling Box, chose the option for "DVR" instead of "Satellite Receiver". Trust me, it will save a lot of frustration.

3. It has been a great investment for me. It's a great gizmo!

12. lujan

lujan Hall Of Fame

Feb 10, 2004
    What's a SlingBox?

13. hgeyer

hgeyer Mentor

Dec 3, 2004
    www.slingmedia.com/slingbox

The unit streams the output of your tuner to anywhere on the internet. If you have a computer and a high-speed connection, you can watch / control your tuner from anywhere.

14. bairdjc

bairdjc Legend

Sep 22, 2005
    Well I've had a slingbox for a few weeks. I was originally using it on a 510 but I just installed my 622 last night.

I connected the slingbox via coax and a splitter from the RF out modulator on the 622. I wish I had thought of this yesterday (after the install), but I forgot to check and make sure the slingbox was setup properly. HEre are my observations:

1) the slingbox WILL work with a 622. DVR622 shows up as an option for control in the "DISH NEtwork/Echostar" option for remotes.

2) The peculiarity of the slingbox is that it has an internal NTSC tuner in it that goes from 1 - 125. The problem is that when you select the option to control an external cable or satellite box, it only gives you 3 options for what channel(s) that box broadcasts on: 2, 3 and 4! As you all know the RF modulator in the 622 WILL NOT modulate to those low channels. Seeing as how the slingbox is just tuning into 2, 3 or 4 using the built-in tuner, I don't see why it can;t tune to any channel in the 1 - 125 range for this option. Hopefully it is something they will fix with future firmware upgrades (they are VERY responsive to the requests of their users!).

That said, you can always go with component cables or svideo, however you won't have the option of switching back/forth between TV1 and TV2 (unless you have it in single mode then that's not a problem).

Had I thought about it yesterday, I would have set it up with regular component cables (red/yel/white).

Regarding its performance thus far - I have it connected (I ran some cat5e when running the coax for the satellite feeds) to a linksys BEFSR41 (4 port router/switch). On my home "LAN" I can get speeds to the box in excess of 1300 kbps - away from home here at "work" I get in the 420 range typically, which is fine for watching just about anything. With my 510 there was a slight delay between when you "press" the buttons on the onscreen remote and when they actually took place. All DVR functions are still operable.... it's just not as fast as if you actually had the remote in your hands. You might have some slight picture kerkyness/audio sync problems immediately after you change a channel, but after the player is done "optimizing" (there's an indicator in the window), all is well.

Here's a screencap of the selection menu showing the 622:
    [​IMG]

15. lujan

lujan Hall Of Fame

Feb 10, 2004
    Component cables are blue/green/red. Composite cables are red/yel/white.

16. bairdjc

bairdjc Legend

Sep 22, 2005
    sorry - you know what I meant

17. AllieVi

AllieVi Hall Of Fame

Apr 10, 2002
    I assume SlingBox provides full screen/full motion video. Sounds like a very interesting capability.

Has anyone tried using camera inputs on both ends to establish a high-quality videophone connection?

18. bairdjc

bairdjc Legend

Sep 22, 2005
    Both ends? you'd need 2 slingboxes then.

It will provide full-screen video (window is sizeable) but the video quality wouldn't be great unless you had a SUPER connection to one another.

19. AllieVi

AllieVi Hall Of Fame

Apr 10, 2002
    Yes, that's exactly what I had in mind. Two systems slinging signals back and forth. The bandwidth requirement appears to be well within the limits of many newer broadband systems (I have 5 Mb/s down, 2 Mb/s up - others have much more).

20. Powie

Powie Cool Member

Apr 8, 2006
    Unless I'm not getting something, two decent webcams and a decent video conference software would suit you better, and cheaper to boot. Netmeeting is even pretty decent for free.

--

As a side note, after spending several hours reading threads on both the Slingbox, and the Sony Locationfree device, I've jumped on the Sony Locationfree ship. I bought mine off Ebay $212.00 new in box. I'll post back more with my thoughts when I get things setup later this week. A big factor is pushing me to the Sony is having the PSP, otherwise I might have went with the slingbox. Well and I also think the slingbox is ugly as hell, and I don't even want it hidden in my Home theater system, lol. I don't really need the wireless the sony has, but as another bonus it does run linux, and the source is avail, so maybe someone out there will make the product even better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.