OTA Add-on

Discussion in 'DISH™ OTA Support and Discussion Forum' started by tuck2694, Oct 23, 2013.

Tags:
  1. tuck2694

tuck2694 Mentor

Aug 13, 2004
    I am fed-up with constantly losing my locals. I lost my CBS channel earlier this year and have now been without my NBC channel for about three weeks. I want to add an OTA antenna and drop the locals with Dish. I can pay for an OTA antenna in a short amount of time by saving the $5/month I currently pay to Dish. I have done some research and the needed antenna is not very expensive. What hardware is needed for me to bring an OTA signal into my receiver or do I need to totally bypass my receiver altogether?

2. tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...
    First of all the option to drop locals and save $5 doesn't exist any more, hasn't for years at this point. As for your OTA options it really depends on the kind of receiver you have.

3. tuck2694

tuck2694 Mentor

Aug 13, 2004
    tsmacro - What do you mean the option of dropping locals and saving $5 doesn't exist any longer?

I have a 622 receiver. I used to have a 722 but, the hard drive crashed about a year and a half ago. Dish replaced my 722 with a refurbished 622. I was not happy with that but........., that's a different story.

4. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Pretty much says it all. You will NOT be allowed to save the $3 that they give to those who don't have LIL available at all. I'll wager that if you look at your bill, there's no line item for Local Channels (and hasn't been for some time as tsmacro noted).
    Do you have access to a TV antenna or some place to put one? The ViP622 has a built-in tuner for digital OTA broadcasts.

http://www.tvfool.com

1 person likes this.
  5. tuck2694

tuck2694 Mentor

Aug 13, 2004
    harsh - I just checked my bill and yes you guys are correct. There is no charge listed for my locals. At least they could have kissed me in the process. I guess I have had my head in the sand. I have autopay and paperless billing so, I did not see that happen.

Can I run the coaxial from an antenna to some type of a device that will allow me to have the coaxial from the dish converge and from there to my receiver and pick up my locals OTA?

6. RBA

RBA Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    You need to run a coax from a TV antenna to the antenna in on the back of your 622. Then do an antenna scan on the 622 to add OTA to your guide.

7. Rickt1962

Rickt1962 Legend

Jul 17, 2012
    I don't no about DISH but Direct TV messes with our OTA receiver ! Don't get half my Sub channels !

8. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    Dish HD receivers scan and display all channels they can decode.

Some sub-channels may not have guide data, but they are all viewable.

9. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Depending on how (or if) your TV2 is distributed, a diplexer/triplexer may be a possibility.

The preference would be for an independent coax.

10. tuck2694

tuck2694 Mentor

Aug 13, 2004
    Thanks for the input guys.

11. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    This is precisely the magic of autopay. Autopay is evil in the context of TV programming.

12. tuck2694

tuck2694 Mentor

Aug 13, 2004
    harsh - I hate to run another coaxial cable into my house for a OTA antenna. You say a diplexer or a triplexer may be a possibility. Can you please offer your experience with these?

13. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    Triplexers and diplexers work fine on DISH installs except for Hopper/Joey systems.

And in some homes, it sure beats running more coax.

In a better world there would be multiple coaxs everywhere . . . .

:coffee

14. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    This depends on whether your ViP622 is already driving another TV using backfeeding. Even with backfeeding, it may be possible but it gets dicey.

You need to bring us up to speed on your specifics (is there a TV2 and can you get to your cable coming down from the dish).

If you're not up on the nomenclature and technology, this can get pretty daunting.

15. tuck2694

tuck2694 Mentor

Aug 13, 2004
    My 622 is a dual receiver that controls a second TV and my dish feed is accessible.

16. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Where does the cable from the "Home Distribution" output go?

hint: It should either disappear into a wall (or floor) or go to a di/triplexer.

The faster and more detailed your information comes, the quicker we can arrive at a solution.

17. shadough

shadough Icon

Dec 31, 2006
    How many receiver u have would also be helpfull. How many lines come down from the dish? where would the ANT be placed? Do u see anything that looks like a splitter behind your receiver? Read what it says and give us that info, if there is any.

Typcially a dish installer would pull 1 cable from the dish down to the receiver location (someone correct me if I'm wrong), he might also try to run that cable near the TV2 room location. Then behind the receiver install what looks like a 3 way splitter, which is actually a triplexer. The triplexer splits the SAT inputs out an into the 2 SAT in connections on the recvr, the 3rd connection would come from the TV2 output on the rcvr and back feed on the same wire coming from the dish, keeping in mind that that wire runs near the TV2 location, which is where he would cut the wire, add a diplexer, to de-combine the SAT/TV2 feed an run a wire from there to TV2. In this scenario, it is not possible to add the ANT signal (assuming u'r ANT will be on the roof) since the SAT cable is already being di-plexed. A coax can carry 2 SAT feeds and 1 feed from either the ANT or TV2, but not both. Now the installer may have run 1 cable from the dish and used what looks like a 2-way splitter to feed the SAT inputs, this is actually a Dishpro 'seperator'. Then he should of run a 2nd cable from the recvr straight to the TV2 location. In this scenario, you could use that TV2 cable to diplex (combine) the ANT signal, but you would still need to run a wire from the ANT to connect 'somewhere' to the the wire going to TV2, to diplex the ANT signal in. Now you see how complicated this gets? This is why we recomend running a seperate cable, to save you from the hassle. Plus diplexers fail, especially if they get wet, or they're cheap RadioCrap products.

This is for a 1 rcvr install, if u have multiple rcvrs, then likely there are multiple wires coming from the dish, possibly even a SWITCH somewhere along the way. This is where it can get even more complicated. More wiring is better, as this gives u more options to diplex more signals on the same SAT wires. But trying to figure out what wire goes where and used for what?!?! complicated.

Diplexing: Using 2 diplexers to combine 2 different signals on the same wire. Combine the signal on 1 end, and split it out on the other.

18. tuck2694

tuck2694 Mentor

Aug 13, 2004
    That does seem complicated, shadough. I have one cable coming into a "Diplexer" with one cable going into a separator and the other goes into the home distribution. The two cables from the separator go into the receiver for Sat 1 and Sat 2.

19. RBA

RBA Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    The simplest and most likely for success is run a new cable for the TV antenna.

20. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    This indicates that backfeeding is being used and unless you know your way around in the radio frequency communications domain, a separate cable is going to be your best path to OTA.