1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OTA AM21 Issue...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Matt L, Oct 16, 2009.

1. Matt L

Matt L Godfather

Nov 10, 2007
    This originally started in my thread about adding an HD channel but it has escalated to an new issue so I'm staring a new topic.

History ---- My local Cw outlet WBSF Ch 46-1 just added HD broadcasting capability. I can get them on my TV fine but the AM21s I have cannot get them. I'm showing 100% signal strength but my AM21/HR22 gets no picture or sound, and my AM21/HR23 does not even show that channel in the Edit Off Air Channels screen.

However my HHR10-250 gets it fine with 98% signal strength. I called and talked to someone in tech support and after 45 minutes she was stumped as was her supervisor. Obviously it is specific to the HR2X series, something is not letting the image pass. I checked all my Parental controls, everything is enabled, I've rebooted all to no avail.

Has anyone seen this issue before? How do I resolve it????

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    First thing to try is resetting your Off-Air Setup ....

Menu » System Setup » Sat & Ant » Antenna Setup » Reset Settings
    Menu » System Setup » Sat & Ant » Antenna Setup » Initial Setup

3. Matt L

Matt L Godfather

Nov 10, 2007
    Thanks! That did it! too bad the tech did not know that, would have saved a lot of time. Only downside is that while they are HD, they don't do DD 5.1. I guess I'll use them as a backup...

4. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Glad to help.

5. Motleyfan

Motleyfan Mentor

Sep 13, 2007
    I've got something similar and the resetting local channels on my AM21 did not help.

One of the locals in town changed something so a rescan of the AM21 was required. I get 33-1 now but 33-2 and 33-3 (local channel #s) show up as no searching for signal code 771. I did a signal strength check and I am showing 100% signal strength on all 3 channels, but when I try to view them I only get 33-1. I've tried a total reset of the receiver back to factory condition and still no luck. Anyone got any ideas??? Receiver is a H21.

I did a rescan of my sony Hd300 and I get all 3 on that reciever. I am also getting the same thing on the H20 I have. Possibly something unique to the HXX series???

Update: I did a reset using the red button on the front of my H20 and everything is fixed on that receiver but that did not work on the H21 with the AM21. I even tried unplugging this combo and it did not work. Still all locals come in except for 33-2 and 33-3. Any other ideas I can try from anyone??

Thanks in advance,

Motleyfan

6. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Icon

Mar 7, 2007
    The AM21 lacks the ability to scan for off-the-air channels. What it shows is determined by your zip code and data from Tribune Media Services (Zap2it). If Zap2it doesn't have the current correct info for your AM21, it won't pick up the missing channels no matter what.

There's a thread somewhere on missing OTA channels and how to contact Zap2it, just search around.

In my case, not only does the AM21 have wrong data for two OTA channels, it won't even let me get all my locals at my Mississippi address because it only supports two markets/zip codes and I get channels from three markets. :mad:

7. Motleyfan

Motleyfan Mentor

Sep 13, 2007
    This is what is really weird. The local channel (33-1, 33-2, and 33-3) used to be broadcast on UFH channel 19. They moved it to channel 18. I have been able to pickup the new location on my sony hd300, my H20. and I got 33-1on my H21 with the AM21 (now being broadcast on UFH 18). It is just 33-2 and 33-3 that my AM21 shows as searching for satelite signal code 771. Zap2it shows the listings for 33-1, 33-1, and 33-2. What I can't get is the AM21 to recognize 2 of the 3 new channels when trying to view them. When you check signal strength it shows all 3 of them at 100% signal strength.

I haven't found any way to reset the AM21 to the factory original condition. (I've already did the H21 and stareted over. I even tried putting in a zip code for where I used to live on the AM21 and tried to redo it that way... no luck. Picks up all channels except for 2 of the sub channels.

Nick :confused::confused::confused:

8. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    There is nothing to reset on the AM-21 itself. It is controlled by the receiver to which it is attached. You can reset that under Antenna Setup. Signal strength will be the same for all subchannels but if the database has errors there is nothing you can do but notify Tribune (there is a place to do that on zap2it.com).

Seattle channel 13-1 is blocked by a hill for me but is now being mirrored on 22-2 from another location. I notified zap2it and it showed up on my AM-21 a few days later.

9. sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork Icon

Aug 21, 2008
    As Bob mentinoed if you're having problems getting a channel that you can scan and find you should do two things: 1) get a hold of zap2it, easiest way is to send them an emai to let them know which channel(s) are not showing up 2) let the local station know the guide data isn't correct with zap2it. If they haven't notified Tribune media of a change in channels or an added sub channel then your D* am21/HR20 will not be able to find it. I had a couple of channels that didn't work for a short time, but notifiying both zap2it and the local station seemed to clear it up within 24-48 hrs.

10. Motleyfan

Motleyfan Mentor

Sep 13, 2007
    I did get ahold of Zap2it.... A couple of days later the channels I was missing showed up on the Am21. Thanks to everyone for the help.

Nick

11. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Glad you got your problem resolved;

And I'm now experiencing a similar problem to your former one here with the AM21 and one of my OTA multicast channels. A local religious station KTBN-40, flagship station of the Trinity Broadcasting Network, recently changed RF channels from 23 to 33, so naturally the AM21 now has the outdated PSIP information so I could no longer receive the station at all for several days. Today Zap2it has updated the data for the main sub-channel 40-1, but all of it's secondary sub-channels 40-2, 3, 4, and 5 are all still out. :mad:

But even if DirecTV eventually fixes my problem as with yours, they simply made a very, very, poor design choice in abandoning the most sensible OTA channel scan approach used in the H20 for this cumbersome and frequently inaccurate database reliant scheme...

12. ekgermann

ekgermann Mentor

Jan 21, 2008
    Going thru resetting the OTA guide works for me everytime they change RF carrier channels. Never had to contact TMS on that one.

Trick is to do both of the following:

Menu » System Setup » Sat & Ant » Antenna Setup » Reset Settings
    Menu » System Setup » Sat & Ant » Antenna Setup » Initial Setup

First one whacks the database, second one rebuilds it. Can't just do 2nd step (I tried).

When 33 switched channels, that fixed it for me.

EKG

13. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Icon

Mar 7, 2007
    In your case, did the missing channel just show up, or did you have to re-enter the zip code info?