OTA and Diplexing

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - AM21 Discussion (private)' started by RunnerFL, Jan 28, 2008.

1. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    I thought I would create a thread where we could discuss OTA and Diplexing since I'm sure it may come up in reference to the AM21.

I do already have a question that is semi-related...

I know I can't diplex OTA on my WB68 and I have a home run from my OTA to each room that has an HR20 [2] in my house, and I don't have SWM yet.

My question is can OTA be diplexed into a Cable TV/Internet run?

I'm currently looking into dropping DSL for Cable Internet and I'd really rather not have the cable guy run a whole new cable to each room. If I could diplex it with my existing OTA runs that would make life easier on me and the installer.

2. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    Off the top of my head, I'd imagine that diplexing with the cable/internet run would be a bad thing. I know Cox likes to run a dedicated line for the internet around here - bypassing any splitters beyond the initial entry point.

3. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    cable and OTA will definately conflict..
    You could do what I do tho.. Put the modem in the basement hooked to router and run cat5/wireless to computers...

4. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    Regardless of where I put it a new line will be required... Might as well have it run right into my office then.

Thanks!

5. spoonman

spoonman Icon

Feb 21, 2007
    Do you lose a lot of signal strength if you split OTA line? I'm not sure if I want to move my HR21 in to my main tv room yet and if I don't I will need to run a new line to my bedroom and split the main line.

6. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    Al depends on what you have to start with (signal strenth).. I have OTA diplexed in and split 8 ways and still get a good signal..

7. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    Not if you have a decent amplifier inline. I have 2 home runs with the one going to my living room split 4 ways [2 tuners on TV, HR20, HR21] and I see no degradation in signal.

8. tfederov

tfederov Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Mine is split four ways, about to be five. I haven't had an issue yet but then again they are all short runs, approx 75-100 feet for the longest run.

9. Groundhog45

Groundhog45 Hall Of Fame

Nov 9, 2005
    Cedar Park,...
    I have an amplified antenna and run the line to a four way splitter just downline from the power inserter. Works great.

I'll probably have some questions about diplexing on SWM lines later. I hope this is also a good place for that.

10. packfan909

packfan909 Icon

Oct 6, 2006
    One more nugget of info...

Also depends on the quality of splitter you use. Make sure when you purchase splitters you look at the loss rate. Any good splitter will list on it how much db in loss to expect. The smaller the better.

pf

11. packfan909

packfan909 Icon

Oct 6, 2006
    I am diplexing with my SWM-8. Not on the module but just after the SWM out from the module. So it is set up like this:

LNB ----> SWM -----> SWM Out & OTA ---> Diplexer

Then split connections in house as necessary. Finally diplex out OTA and SWM at the receiver. You do get loss, but with a good signal and antenna you should be fine.

Any more details PM or post to me.

pf

12. sbl

sbl Icon DBSTalk Club

Jul 21, 2007
    Where's a good source for an "approved" splitter? I've Googled for it but so far all the places I've found say it's no longer available.

13. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    Good point. I paid a bit extra and got one of the gold ones they have at Radio Shack. Very little signal loss and a wide freq range.

14. Groundhog45

Groundhog45 Hall Of Fame

Nov 9, 2005
    Cedar Park,...
    Is the built-in diplexer not too good? I've seen several mentions about not using it.

There was a thread last year about quality splitters. I think Milo put it together. It may be in the tips and tricks thread. Does anyone have a link?

15. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
  16. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    my setup pic (in sig) shows both ways to diplex..

17. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    Ok, so am I looking at this right? You can diplex with a WB68 as long as it's after the BBC? Or is it just too late and I'm seeing things? :)

If so maybe I can move my WB68 into the attic and put the BBC's there as well. hmmmm...

18. Groundhog45

Groundhog45 Hall Of Fame

Nov 9, 2005
    Cedar Park,...
    Here's the thread that discusses splitters. It was Milo who put this together. A good read.

19. spoonman

spoonman Icon

Feb 21, 2007
    Thanks for the info everyone :)