1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OTA Antenna Issues

Discussion in 'DISH™ OTA Support and Discussion Forum' started by jalexand, Feb 9, 2009.

1. jalexand

jalexand Cool Member

Feb 7, 2009
    Hello all,

I have been with Dish for about 4 months now. I moved over from Cable where I had all my local channels in high def. Now Cedar Rapids is listed for HD locals on the 18th but we'll see if it happens.

My issues comes with my OTA antenna. I have a Panasonic Vieta plasma tv. It has a built in digital tunner. When I have the OTA antenna connected to the TV I have no problems bringing in my local channels. When I connect it to my VIP 612 I have trouble with a couple of my channels some times. Is there anything in the 612 that I need to set in regard to signal.

Thanks
    Jason

2. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    I doubt it. I kind of have the same issue with my HR20. Its just a difference in the tuners. You could get yourself a pre-amp to boost the signal more if you plan on keeping it but if not then dont worry about it. What kind of antenna are we talking about and how far away are the towers?

3. jalexand

jalexand Cool Member

Feb 7, 2009
    Antenna Web says the antennas are about 22 miles away. Some times the signal is just fine via the 612 some times it's just not there. Signal starts at 80 and then drops to 0. Seems like a setting or software issue.

4. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Not really. Probably just conditions changing. I have the same thing happen to me from time to time. It seems to be alot better now so I am wondering if the affiliate that was having the issue figured something out with their digital signal. Dont forget after the full transition its likely that your OTA signals will be stronger as they will be able to unleash the full power on just digital and not analog anymore.

5. jlluck

jlluck AllStar

Oct 18, 2007
    I seem to be having the same problems.
    I have the big "fish bone" alum antenna in my attic. When I connected it to the TV I got great signal strength but now that I have it connected to my 722, I seem to drop signal a lot on all the channels. I've moved the antenna and swiveled it in every direction but I'm still dropping signal. And best I seem to get is in the high 70's. I was getting in the 80 to 90's with the TV tuner. I see too that the signal just drops like a rock. From 78 to 0 then back up again. Would some kind of booster help?

6. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    For sure. I put a pre-amp up and my signal strength went up almost 40%. If I was you I would do it for sure.

7. jlluck

jlluck AllStar

Oct 18, 2007
    Hey thanks. I haven't checked but I'm sure Radio Shack would have one of these, right? I did have a splitter on the line from the antenna and only one of the two connections was being used. When I removed the splitter and connected directly to the 722 I noticed better signal too but I still get intermittent drops so the amp is a sure To Do.

8. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    The pre-amp I ordered came with its own splitter cause it sends power through the line to the antenna with the RG6 cable. I ordered mine from ebay but thats only cause I knew exactly the one I needed and found it cheaper ther brand new. I would recommend www.solidsignal.com they are really good. I dont think you will find what you need at Radioshack. What kind of antenna you have or gonna get?

9. jlluck

jlluck AllStar

Oct 18, 2007
    I have an outside aluminum (fish bone looking) antenna. Got it at Radio Shack for about $60. It's mounted in my attic with cables running to my AV closet where my receivers are located. I have power in the attic as well as in the AV closet if the amp needs to be inside. The closet has heat and AC so it's perfect for the equipment.