1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OTA Antenna, Movers Connections & Multiswitchs

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by AlbertZeroK, Apr 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlbertZeroK

AlbertZeroK Icon

Jan 28, 2006
    Okay, we have 6 DirecTV TIVO's and a HR10-250 HD DVR Tivo. We're moving into a house shortly and am going to use the Mover's Connection. I talked to DirecTV and they said for $25, they'll give me and install an OTA antenna and that the dish was free (no s&h which suprized me.) direcTV also said they will install up to 6 DVR's and 1 HD receiver.

So, I plan on wiring up the house myself. Going to wire everything into the walls - yes, I'm anal so I just do it myself. Does anyone know what wiring is required for the OTA antenna? Is it just a single RG6 cable into the antenna port on the multiswitch?

Also, any idea on what multiswitch they will bring (and if they will bring DiPlexers?) And I'm wondering if the installer will be competent enough to actually install all this? I know enough about this stuff to do it all myself but my landlord would like to keep the dish and multiswitch I have in the house now (which is fine if DirecTV will give me new stuff.) Besides I have enough to do without putting up another satellite dish.

2. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Evenytually you will have to have a separate run from the antenna all the way to the receiver for OTA. The new WB68 multiswitch combined with the AT9 dish does not support diplexing OTA. So you might as well run the coax now.

The D* spec for coax now is RG6 with solid copper center conductor (as opposed to copper clad steel). If your runs are going to be of any significant length (over 100 feet or so) I would highly recommend the solid copper center conductor.

So, you are going to need the normal dual runs to each tivo location, PLUS an OTA run if you expect to have either ota or cable.

Carl

3. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Since late Dec. the AT9 has been the required dish for HDTV installs so your free dish should be the AT9 and the required switch is the WB68.

4. directvfreak

directvfreak Godfather

Feb 1, 2006
    Run 3 lines to the HD Tivo. (2 sat, 1 ant.)

5. AlbertZeroK

AlbertZeroK Icon

Jan 28, 2006
    First off, thanks for all the great info! I will definately run a seperate run all the way to the living room for the OTA antenna. It is over 100' so I'm definately going to try to use the highest quality RG6 I can get my hands on - which would be Quad Sheild Solid Copper core RG6? Does anyone know a good and semi-inexpensive place to buy it online?

so that would feed 4 recievers, how would they feed the other 3?

6. AlbertZeroK

AlbertZeroK Icon

Jan 28, 2006
  7. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    6 DirecTivo's and one HR10-250? Carl6 is correct about running the OTA directly from the antenna to the HR10-250 location.

Now for the rest of it. To get full functionality out of all your Tivos, you will need two satellite feeds to each. That means you will need 14 independent feeds to your receivers. Sounds to me like you would need three WB68 switches.

Run the four feeds from the dish into switch #1. From the eight outputs on switch #1, run four to the inputs on switch #2 and four to the inputs on switch #3. The eight outputs from switches 2 and 3 will give you sixteen outputs to run to your receivers (the 14 you need and two left over).

Now, the WB68 is not a powered multi-switch, so I am not sure if you will have any signal strength problems cascading them that way. Someone on here with more experience may be able to speak on that.

Finally, assuming you will have sort of a "central location" where all the switches, etc. will be located, you may want to think about setting something up where you could have more than just the one antenna cable feed for the future. Now that I think about it, for now that may mean just leaving some extra cable length on your antenna feed in your central location. I was thinking terminate the antenna cable there and just use a barrel connector for now to get the feed to your one HR10-250, but I wouldn't even do that at this point - just make it a straight feed with some extra cable length at your junction to be able to add a splitter or something later.

As for the link to the cabling provided by AlbertZerok, I see the conductor material says "Bare Copper", but is that the same as "Solid Copper" core? I didn't read through all the technical specs.

Oh, and one last thing that you may be all over already, but it will help greatly in the furture if you mark all of your cables at your junction point as to the location that each cable runs to!

Good luck with this! Sounds like it will be pretty cool once you've got everything up and running!

8. AlbertZeroK

AlbertZeroK Icon

Jan 28, 2006
    You can't run the output of the WB68 into the inputs of another, the manufacture lists the multiswitch as non-casadable.

http://www.zcwc.com/zcwc/products/multi_switch/wb_68.htm

I wonder what else they have in their arsinal. But for running that many outputs, you definately need a powered multiswitch. I currently have a Terk 5x8 Powered Multiswitch running off my Channel Master Dish... The more I think about it, the more I want to reinstall my channel master. Too bad it's only got 3 LNB's...

9. sheridan1952

sheridan1952 Godfather

Mar 15, 2006
    You can take two WB68 switches and connect them in parallel using properly rated diplexers. Just be sure feed 1 goes into the same input on both switches and so on.

The WB68 is the ONLY switch rated for use with the AT9 dish. If you don't use the AT9, then a lot more options are open.

This example, while not from Zinwell, illustrates how that is done.

10. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    Oops, my bad. I didn't check that first.

11. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    You can put a WB68 first in line. Take 4 leads off that to feed other (powered) multiswitches, such as Terk's. Take 2 leads off the WB68 to feed your HD/MPEG4 device(s). Leaves 2 open ports.

Then you can stack powered Terk multiswitches to feed all the SD stuff.

- OR -

Put up another dish. Use the AT9 to feed that which needs MPEG4, and use a Phase III (with multiswitches as needed) to feed the rest.

Carl

12. TigersFanJJ

TigersFanJJ Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006
    Or you could request the tech install a Phase III dish instead of the AT9. If you live in an area that uses the Phase III for locals then the tech will probably have one with him.

If the tech pre-calls you the day before (as he is supposed to do) let him know at that time that you want a Phase III dish and that you will need three 4X8 (or 5X8) multiswitches.

13. AlbertZeroK

AlbertZeroK Icon

Jan 28, 2006
    I have a Phase III dish now (a Channel Master). But shouldn't I get the AT9 for the ability to receive additional HD channels in the future on my HR10-250 HD Tivo DVR? I'm not worried about HD Locals, I get waivers for most of the networks so I get NY/LA Locals for the networks in HD, plus my HD receiver doesn't do MPEG4...

14. TigersFanJJ

TigersFanJJ Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006
    I don't install hi-def equipment myself, but I just placed a call to the warehouse for the local dealer that I sub for. The w/h manager said that their techs install a Phase III dish with the HR10-250. He said that they install the AT9 only with the H20.

So if they bring out any new HD channels in MPEG2, you should be able to get them on the Phase III (according to him).

My question is does the HR10-250 even recognize the extra satellites from the AT9? That's something that I didn't think to ask him.

15. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    AlbertZerok,

Your HR10-250 will/should receive all MPEG2 signals. There may be a few (limited) national HD channels added in the next year or so in MPEG2 format, but most of the HD nationals on the horizon are going to be MPEG4 format. The HR10-250 does not have the ablility to receive MPEG4 signals.

Having the AT9 installed now would only get you ready for use with an H20 (or the MPEG4 HD DVR when that is available). I caveat that by saying that there's a real good chance that an installer installing an AT9 dish may not be able to dial things in accurately without an H20 receiver.

The Phase III dish should serve all your needs for the HR10-250. Unless you feel you will be updating to the new MPEG4 technology soon, I wouldn't worry about the AT9 dish. Plus I think I read here this morning that a Phase III dish is installed with an HR10-250 installation and an AT9 is installed only with H20 installs at this point.

16. mkmhr

mkmhr Legend

Jan 25, 2006
    No, the HR10-250 is only capable of recognizing the 101, 110 and 119 feeds regardless of which dish you have. This is because the receiver is not capable of encoding mpeg 4. D* is to release their HD-DVR capable of mpeg 4 in the next 2 years, hopefulls believe sooner than later maybe. As for if the program info from the channels that come in from those sats show up, I'm actually not sure if that's supplied by the host sat or not but I am going to check. I'll let you know what I find out.

17. TigersFanJJ

TigersFanJJ Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006
    That's what the w/h manager told me also, but I didn't want to repeat it at the time because I wasn't sure if it was accurate. Thanks mkmhr.

18. AlbertZeroK

AlbertZeroK Icon

Jan 28, 2006
    Okay, so there is no need for an AT9 dish. I'll just have them put in a Phase III dish and perhaps a 5x16 multiswitch? or use three cascadable 5x8's.

19. directvfreak

directvfreak Godfather

Feb 1, 2006
    To sum it all up, I would get 2 WB68 switches for feutureproofing. The get 4 Satellite splitters rated 250Mhz or below to 2150 Mhz or higher. The take eack of 4 outputs and split them. Take each line out of the splitter into 1 port on each switch. Make sure the input is the same on each switch. Take a look at my terrible drawing. Make sure you zoom in on the picture. (Once clicked on Attachment, left click in Pic to zoom) Notice, the two outputs of each splitter go into the same input on each multi switch. This is critical for this to happen properly.

Attached Files:

20. AlbertZeroK

AlbertZeroK Icon

Jan 28, 2006
    Where can those splitters be found? The onese I've sees go from 900mhz to 2150 mhz? Will this work? http://cgi.ebay.com/LOT-3-2-way-sat...715108603QQcategoryZ32840QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.