OTA causing entire system to freeze

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Baptistbusman, Mar 21, 2020.

1. Baptistbusman

Baptistbusman New Member

Mar 21, 2020
    I just added an OTA antenna...I don’t have good reception being so far out in the country...but here’s my issue: When one of the OTA channels fades out of reception, it causes the entire system of Joeys and Super Joeys as well as the hopper to start freezing...even the regular satellite channels freeze until I unplug the OTA from the main hopper.

Any clues?

2. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    I have the vip211k with my outdoor antenna. Fortunately I have strong signals off my translators, but some months back when one of our translators was cutting in and out, My vip211K would freeze if I was on that channel. I had to re-boot the receiver. I just stayed off that channel until it was fixed using the 211k. I can watch the translators off the TV as well as the Fire Re-cast. They do not have the same issue even if the translator signal does freeze. The Dish receivers can be a bit picky at times.

3. dod1450

dod1450 Legend

Dec 16, 2009
    You might want to do a re-scan. Many tv stations are changing frequencies due to FCC repack requirement. You maybe be losing a good signal from the auxiliary antenna. We had 10 stations moved from their main antenna to an auxiliary and back to a new main antenna that can handle the newly assigned frequency.

4. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    I live out here with translators, but come April 20th, the Portland stations are stacking their 1.0 signals to make room. I will have to re-scan at that time. Everything is the same here now. But living in a rural area with translators they are not always as dependable as regular TV station transmitters.

5. RBA

RBA Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    #1 get a better TV antenna or add a signal amplifier.
    #2 subscribe to locals thru DISH
    #3 hardest, feed OTA signal directly to TV sets don't try to run it through DISH receiver.

6. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    It's amazing how good the tuners in TV's are so much better than the USB tuners Dish is using.

dennispap likes this.
  7. Tiny

Tiny Mentor

Feb 1, 2009
    Get a VHF/UHF signal amp I bought one from solidsignal.com mine is rated 30db gain it works dang good ...

8. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    Yes, I am running a Antenna Direct 91XG high gain yagi with RG11 at 75 feet and a CM 7777 amp. It works great giving me 100%, but the problem is not with signal strength but the signal getting to the translators.

9. jsk

jsk Icon

Dec 27, 2006
    Fallston, MD
    I know with my 722K, I have to make sure it is tuned to a OTA channel with a strong signal before changing channels to a satellite channel. Otherwise, I will get a lost signal error on the satellite channel when the OTA channel fades, but it doesn’t freeze the whole DVR; it just acts like I lost the satellite. This bug has gone on for many years.