OTA Channel guide info

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by mwdxer, Nov 8, 2019.

1. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    It has been months since the beginning of the re-pack for OTA channels. It was then that all of our OTA locals (KATU-ABC/KOIN-CBS/KGW-NBC/KOPB-PBS) all ended up with messed up guides. The info is from another OTA channel. Like KATU instead of the ABC guide has the PBS guide, and so on. The diginets are fine, METV, Comet, Get TV, etc. I wonder when the info will get straighten out to use the OTA guide again? I have the Fire TV stick to get Dish Anywhere, and I bought a Re-cast which has the correct guide with the built in 500GB HDD, so that is working for the time being, but I do like everything correct in one place.

2. jsk

jsk Icon

Dec 27, 2006
    Fallston, MD
    Probably most of us that use the OTA adapter have that issue. More of that will happen as the repack continues and ATSC 3.0 makes channel sharing more common. I hope they have a plan to fix it. I also wish that they would show the guide that the station sends out if they don’t have a guide instead of just saying “Digital Service.”

ibjimbo likes this.
  3. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    What ?! Where you did get the 5 years distant future ?

4. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    I wish Dish would find some other company to get the OTA guide from. The ReCast has the correct guide, but I am not sure where they get it from. It goes out farther than Dish's guide, a full 2 weeks.

5. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The repack will be complete by July 3, 2020. ATSC 3.0 not needed for channel sharing. We are currently in Phase 7 of the repack.
    ia-transition-schedule-bar-chart.png

Channel sharing is being done with ATSC 1.0. Two stations with .1 feeds on the same physical RF channel. That situation breaks the way that DISH matches an OTA received station with the data they transmit via satellite.

DISH could transmit additional days, but every channel and every day adds to the size of the EPG information. DISH currently has EPG for 6438 channels. Every time a receiver downloads the EPG it must sift through all of those channels to find the channels. There was a suggestion a few years ago that DISH might use the Internet for extended EPG (additional days and subchannels). So far DISH has not implemented such a system.

6. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    If Dish used the internet for the EPG, then the accuracy the guide would be better.

7. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The source is the source regardless of how the data is delivered. Only a better source would improve accuracy.

8. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    I don't know where the ReCast gets their guide info, but it is very accurate.