OTA channels not matching guide

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by jdh8668, May 19, 2021.

1. jdh8668

jdh8668 Legend

Nov 7, 2007
    This is in the central Illinois market.
    WAND 17.1 has always matched whatever NBC channel 17, their main station, has on. Recently, the guide still reflects that, however 17.1 is now showing some religious channel. I spoke to the VP at WAND and he said it is Directv at fault, because WAND is broadcasting 17.1 with their normal NBC programming. I have rescanned the channels several time and it still comes up wrong. There are other WAND OTA channels that don’t match the guide as well. multiple 17.2’s and 17.3’s. Still waiting on a response from directv.

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    I doubt you'll get a response from DirecTV. They contract their Guide Data from a third party company (it used to be Tribune News Services). It's up to the local stations to provide the correct information to that company.

I assume you're using an AM21 or LCC to receive those off-air channels with an antenna?

3. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
  4. jdh8668

jdh8668 Legend

Nov 7, 2007
    AM21.

5. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    I'm in LA and have OTA guide and search inconsistencies now and then. Don't waste your time trying to contact DirecTV.

1. they don't support the AM21 anymore, if you call support, there's a high likelihood the person won't even know what an AM21 is.
    2. DirecTV doesn't really care about OTA anymore, so they aren't going to lift a finger on it.
    3. The guide data comes from a 3rd party, so... and its not the 3rd party data providers fault either... its the network changing the schedule and not updating the guide provider (or doing it early enough).

Re: DirecTV tech support, let's clarify what that is... its help with equipment like programming your remote or wiring it up, etc. Or fixing SOME account issues. Nothing more then that. It's not a good investment for DirecTV to keep highly trained people in support since 99% of the calls are about the lower level stuff.

If you are trying to report bugs, well, forget about it. The engineering dept and the support dept are completely disconnected. They are like 2 different companies.

I tried to report a software bug once, and it was an exercise in futility. They don't let you talk to engineering, they don't let engineering talk to you. There is a process for a call center person to open an engineering ticket, but most of the time they just close them out without fixing them.

6. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    You would have more success reporting bugs on the www.iamanedgecutter.com forum

7. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Most of these cases turn out to be that the station just hasn't correctly told the guide provider and/or directv that the channel numbers have changed. In the case of WAND, if you look at recent history you'll find this has been a problem for a while. And many of the people at the station don't understand this either. Try to talk directly to the station engineer.

8. coconut13

coconut13 Active Member

Apr 14, 2013
    The problem probably lies in the repack of channels. This would make the AM21 show duplicate channels because it still has the old RF channel and now it picks up the new RF channel. I noticed that your channel went from RF17 to RF20. The best way to try and remedy this is by completely clearing the AM21. To do this, go to the reset screen for the AM21 and hit the reset. Then after that is done, reboot the DVR. This should clear your AM21 and it should be like starting over again, and it will pick up the "new" RF channel for 17 with probably the correct guide. I know this works if done right, because I went through this with 3 different channels and I got it to work. I just hope I remember the procedure I did to make it pick up the new RF channels.