1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OTA channels - why?

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by mark069, Apr 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark069

mark069 Mentor

Jan 10, 2007
    I take it that OTA means "over the air" or local channels received via an external antenna. Why do folks here even bother with an external antenna when for an extra $5 per month you can get all the locals through satellite? Is it just to save the $5 per month or are there other advantages to OTA channels?

2. Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    Four main reasons for me

1) Allows you to recorded 3 Locals at one time.
    2) OTA in general will be less compressed and usually are better quality than their Satellite brothers.
    3) Not all OTAs are offered by Dish in HD. KTLA in Los Angeles for example.
    4) Also allows my 622 to be more flexible because I know have 3 tuners to play with.

3. JeffChap

JeffChap AllStar

Feb 10, 2007
    My locals are not available from Dish in HD yet, so OTA is my only method of getting them. Also, I expect the picture quality to be better OTA because of the lack of signal compression necessary when sent over satellite.

Also, being in central Oklahoma, we get a lot of heavy thunderstorms with tornado warnings this time of year, and this is precisely when you're most likely to lose your satellite signal. It's nice to still be able to pick up the local weather broadcasts OTA.

4. ssmith10pn

ssmith10pn Icon

Jul 6, 2005
    5) Because in severe weather I can still receive the OTA locals.

5. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Even where Dish has HD and has the major networks... there are still subchannels available OTA in many markets that carry unique content not available via satellite.

6. Hall

Hall Icon

Mar 4, 2004
    When discussed in this forum (the 622's), people are referring to OTA digital stations. Those also broadcast some programming in high-definition. Dish only carries the analog broadcasts for many people and OTA is the only way to get the digital stations.

If I want to watch network programming in HD, Dish is no help (for me). When and if Dish does provide my local station's digital channels, I'll still use OTA as my primary source because of better picture quality.

7. tomcrown1

tomcrown1 Hall Of Fame

Jan 16, 2006
    Right now it is the only way to get PBS in HD is OTA

8. twindaddy

twindaddy Mentor

Feb 5, 2007
    Don't OTA recordings take significantly more space on the hard drive when recorded? If anyone has some metrics (e.g. 1 hour of MPEG2 vs MPEG4 vs OTA), that would be much appreciated.

9. joebird

joebird Legend

Sep 15, 2003
    All of the reasons cited above, plus the fact that I had my antenna up for the 6000, 921, 942 and now the 622. The HD locals were not always available, and I may as well leave the antenna up and plugged in for the flexibility (and better picture).

10. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Depends on how you look at it.

When I record an hour of OTA HD, it seems to usually take away an hour from my counter. I know the counters are not 100% accurate, nor do they try to be really... but I think the counter is based on assuming worst-case usage when they say "up to 30 hours of HD" on the ViP622.

So... I feel pretty confident I could get 30 hours of OTA HD... and usually that means a little more from satellite and even more from MPEG4 vs MPEG2.

I've noticed, for instance, if I record Law & Order from my OTA NBC an hour and 10 minute is about an hour and 10 minutes give or take... but if I record the same program from the MPEG4 HD local via satellite... it is closer to 45 minutes taken away from my counter.

Some of that is due to MPEG4, and some of that is due to the extra downconverting that is done via satellite anyway.

11. CABill

CABill Hall Of Fame

Mar 20, 2005
    It isn't to save the $5 - you need to pay the $5 for the sat locals to see the Guide info for the OTA channels.

IN SF, there are 5 channel KQED subchannels (9-01 thru 9-05) that are only available OTA (Comcast actually has more KQED content than OTA), KRON-DT is OTA only, 43-02 Jazz, ... AND, you don't have to live the the SF DMA to get the SF OTA channels like you would with Sat HD channels.

12. Skates

Skates Icon

Apr 15, 2004
    Three reasons for me:

PBS in HD, the ability to record three locals at once (which I do a couple of times per week) and all the extra digital channels and sub-channels E* doesn't provide.

Plus, each makes a good backup for the other if there's a problem.

13. Paradox-sj

Paradox-sj AllStar/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Dec 15, 2004
    Hey CABILL,

What type of setup are you running to pull in sutro station is sacto?

14. Hall

Hall Icon

Mar 4, 2004
    I think your scenario strongly suggests that the counter, while it is an estimate, is based on typical bitrate, MPEG2 numbers. Someone recorded an MPEG4, hour-long program and it in fact only took away 30 minutes from the counter ! The fact that Dish is supplying the MPEG4 channels at half the bitrate is the key.

15. CABill

CABill Hall Of Fame

Mar 20, 2005
    I don't get reliable reception from them - most days I don't get anything. I'm 20 miles NE of Sacto (40 miles from its towers), but the direction just happens to be the same as to SF. I'm probably 100 miles from SF, but up on a ridge. Fry's had a Channel Master I was going to try to improve the SF stations, but I won't be able to do anything to my OTA antenna for a while. There are 8-9 Wireless antennae on the roof and I noticed they put two of them on my OTA mast. I can't lower it to attach anything for a while - it would take out other people's Internet connections.

16. TechniKal

TechniKal Mentor

Nov 4, 2003
    That's a bit of an understatement. There are 210 DMA's. Dish covers what - 27 in HD? So, ~85% of markets are not covered in HD, and of the 15% covered, most offer at best only the 4 'major' nets. So, I'd estimate that of all the possible local digital channels out there, Dish rebroadcasts less than 10% of them.

17. thefunks67

thefunks67 Godfather

Feb 4, 2007
    For me it's the addition of another tuner. Gives me 3 options to record.

-Funk

18. Todd H

Todd H Legend

Aug 18, 2006
    Because Dish doesn't offer my locals in HD.

19. TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    [U]2 WDTN Dayton (NBC) - - Availability[/U]:
    DISH > NO (not in my home area anyway)
    OTA > Yes
    HD > Yes
    OTA Sub-Channels > Sort of.. (SD repeater useful if the program is not in HD to save space)
    Advantage > Alternative to avoid Weather Orgasm warnings telling me its raining outside and I may get wet if I go outside

5 NBC HD Cincinnati (NBC)
    Dish > Yes
    Dish HD > No
    OTA > Yes
    OTA HD > Yes
    OTA Sub Channels > Yes (NBC Weather Plus - in case I need a weather orgasm fix)

7 WHIO Dayton (CBS)
    DISH > NO (not in my home area anyway)
    OTA > Yes
    HD > Yes
    OTA Sub-Channels > Yes (Weather Radar/Info)
    Advantage > Alternative to avoid Weather Orgasm warnings and different sporting events especially football

9 WCPO Cincinnati (ABC)
    DISH > YES
    HD > No
    OTA > YES
    HD > YES
    OTA Sub Channel > Weather Info

12 WKRC Cincinnati (CBS)
    Dish > Yes
    HD > NO
    OTA > YES
    HD > YES
    OTA Sub Channel > CW in SD (CinCW)

14 WPTO Oxford (PBS)
    Dish > Yes
    HD > NO
    OTA > YES
    HD > Part-time
    OTA Sub Channels > 4 channels active at one time including news channel, prime channel and learning channel. 2 go off the Air during prime time HD broadcasts

19 > WXIX Newport, KY (Fox)
    DISH > Yes
    HD > No
    OTA > Yes
    HD > YES
    OTA Sub Channels > The Tube (Music videos)

43 > WKOI Richmond IN (TBN)
    Dish > Sort of --part of AT100 and higher package
    HD > N/A
    OTA > YES
    HD > N/A
    Sub Channels > Church Channel, JCTV, EnlaceTBN, Smile of a Child TV

45 WRGT Dayton (Fox)
    Dish > NO (not in my area)
    OTA > Yes
    HD > Yes
    Sub Channel > MyTV Network
    Advantage > Alternative for pre-emtions and different sporting events especially football.

48 WCET Cincinnati (PBS)
    Dish > YES
    HD > NO
    OTA > Yes
    HD > YES --24/7 PBS HD not the same signal as Dish's 48 which is the analog signal
    OTA Sub-Channel > PBS Create

WCVN 54 Covington, KY (PBS/KET1)
    Dish > Yes
    HD > No
    OTA > No

WSTR 64 Cincinnati (MyTV)
    Dish > Yes
    HD > No
    OTA > Yes
    HD > Yes
    OTA Sub-Channel > No
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Later this summer I plan on installing an outdoor roof antenna and ditch the little rabbit ears I am using, This will add the following to the list NOT available through Dish for me:
    WPTD 16 Dayton (PBS) Part-Time HD 4 sub-channels when not in HD
    WKEF 22 Dayton (ABC) HD
    WBDT 26 Springfield (CW) HD

20. Aliens

Aliens AllStar

Jul 3, 2004
    :confused:

How do you do this using one 622?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.