OTA Dish Guide is useless

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by mwdxer, Jul 12, 2019.

1. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    Does anyone know when or if, Dish will straighten out the OTA guides? The OTA guide for Portland OR, except for the few diginets they have a guide for, none of the rest is accurate. KATU-ABC shows a PBS channel sked, KOIN-CBS shows PBS Kids, KGW-NBC shows a FOX channel sked (not local), KOPB-PBS shows some station running Chicago P.D, no guide for KPTX FOX or KPDX MYTV.
    I bought a Amazon Re-Cast, as I have the Fire TV, to get a decent OTA guide. Which by the way, goes out 2 weeks and it totally accurate, covering all OTA offerings (16 channels). Why can't Dish do this? There is no charge for the guide on the ReCast either.

2. NYDutch

NYDutch DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Dec 28, 2013
    The in-progress channel repack has messed things up quite a bit, and it's anyone's guess when the service Dish uses for the EPG listings will get it straightened out.

3. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    Thanks. At least I'm not alone in the mess. But why is 8-KGW, KOPB-10, 12-KPTV messed up, as there is no changes in those stations?

4. NYDutch

Dec 28, 2013
    No idea...

5. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    Does the DIRT group still read this?

6. NYDutch

Dec 28, 2013
    Not that I'm aware of...

7. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Are KGW 8.0, KOPB 10.0 and KPTV 12.0 (the satellite carried channels) correct?
    If so, DISH is looking for an OTA broadcast using the following transport stream IDs to match their guide to the transmitted channels:
    For KGW, they are looking for any OTA using TSID 0979, for KOPB they are looking for any OTA using TSID 097B, for KPTV they are looking for any OTA using TSID 097D.

The next step would be to find out what TSID your local channels are actually broadcasting. If they are not using the TSIDs that DISH has on record there will be no match, and if the local station is transmitting a TSID that matches a station in a different market you will get that market's EPG. (According to the data collected by RabbitEars.info, all three main stations were transmitting the correct information in 2017.)

Are you picking up the main stations or translators?
    Working the problem from the other direction, there should be some program in the guide that identifies the local station that guide belongs to. Perhaps the name on a newscast?

When a scan is completed and channels are added or dropped on the OTA lineup I have noticed the the EPG can shift ... for example, if channel 8.3 was not in your guide and was added during a scan it may show the guide for 10.1 until the overnight reset. Has anything in your guide changed since last night? (I had deleted the x.1 channels out of my guide since I get them via satellite as x.0. The other day during bad weather I re-added the channels and the EPG did not match the channels until the next day.)

OTA EPG is one of those features where everything has to be right before it will work. One error, ether by the local station or DISH, will cause it to be wrong.

NYDutch likes this.
  8. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    One other interesting thing, is the Dish has a guide for #389 (Comet), but I get no OTA guide for Comet 2.3.

(Thank you for the help. Much appreciated.)

9. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Channel 389 is not connected to any OTA guide in any market. To add an EPG for the Comet in your market, DISH would need to either a) link the national channel to your - and only your - local channel (which would not help Comet viewers in any other market) or b) uplink an individual EPG only channel for just your Comet.

10. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    I wonder why Dish cannot just use the EPG that is supplied by the station(s), as with the Recast? I figure in time, Dish will get the mess straightened out, but who know when?
    By your explanation, it seems with the Dish system, it is more complicated than it needs to be.

11. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    If you reALLY want an OTA guide from the station, there are ways - but they won't be integrated with DIsh. An OTA DVR usually has something like this available. Several of the convertor boxes had guides of various lengths. THere are also websites that provide guides.

12. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    I did just that, but with the Amazon ReCast, as I have a Fire TV, including a 500G DVR that converts the OTA to a stream, giving me a 2 week guide. But I like everything in one place, if possible. But with the Vip receivers going away, and with the Hopper, a person has to buy the OTA dongle, so OTA may not be a big priority for Dish, but they do install antennas. Yes, I bought a converter box a few years ago that goes out about 22-24 hours. That is it, so that is why I bought the ReCast. Not a bad deal, for Amazon Prime members, $100 off, at $129 instead of the $229. Works great too.