1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OTA DVR advice?

Discussion in 'Local Reception' started by GST, Dec 6, 2018 at 8:25 PM.

1. GST

GST New Member

Nov 28, 2018
    I recently moved about 70 miles Northeast of Dallas TX, and am ready install my outdoor antenna but wanted some advice first. Previously I had ran my antenna into a DIRECTV AM21 TV tuner to be able to access a guide and record my OTA stations. However I found the database limitations and incorrect guide data to be quite the hassle. I was wondering if anyone had tried the Amazon Fire TV Recast? My understanding is I simply plug the antenna into the Fire TV Recast, and it will transmit to the Amazon Fire TV-Stick I already own, and allow me to have a channel guide and record the OTA stations the antenna picks up. Based on what I've read the Recast also allows you to watch your OTA stations on multiple devices such as your phone or iPad. This doesn't interest me as I merely intend to watch and record the stations my antenna picks up on my television set. The main reason I'm interested in the Amazon Fire TV Recast is because unless I'm mistaken there are no monthly fees that go along with it. I've looked into some other OTA DVRs but they all seem to include a monthly fee. If you know anything about this device or have any advice I'd greatly appreciate it.

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    For local OTA signals, check out Channel Master DVR. I have 2 of those ( older models ).

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018 at 2:10 PM
  3. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    At your location, OTA channels are scarce (I assume you are somewhere around Bonham).

It will take a really good antenna probably with a tower in order to get reliable reception of more than 2 or 3 channels.

4. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I'd go to www.tvfool.com and check your address to see what you're able to receive before investing in an OTA DVR.

5. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    and check rabbitear site

6. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    Some good news... the OTA database is getting updates so many previously untunable channels are there. But you must be in OTA range for that to help.

7. GST

GST New Member

Nov 28, 2018
    Yes I live in Leonard TX which is about 17 miles Southwest of Bonham. The antenna I have is a Clearstream 4V and I'm going to put it on a pole that is about 17 feet above the ground. I've attached a picture of the antenna, and a link to my results from tvfool. I appreciate the help.
    TV Fool

s-l300.jpg

8. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    You may actually be LOS to the Cedar Hill antenna farm, but still nearly 70 miles distant.