Ota dvr with transfer shows off option

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by AndyNicholas, Jul 15, 2019.

1. AndyNicholas

AndyNicholas New Member

Jan 24, 2016
    Arkansas, USA
    My family is looking to drop dish network in the future. We already have an ota antenna. I am wondering If there is a dvr I can buy for the antenna that will allow me to transfer recorded shows off to another device so that I can watch them when I am traveling without internet connection? I have grown accustomed to the features of my hopper go while on airplanes or out of the country. I doubt there is another device like the hopper go that I could use with an ota dvr. One that would allow me to transfer to a usb drive and play back from a computer would be acceptable but I want to be able to leave the dvr at home and it continue to record the shows I told it to while I am gone. It would be a major plus if the dvr has multiple tuners, the more the better I say.

2. grover517

grover517 AllStar

Sep 29, 2007
    I believe when I was researching OTA DVR's, I didn't see any that officially supported offloading of content but a few articles said it was possible on a Tablo OTA DVR via 3rd party software.

3. AndyNicholas

AndyNicholas New Member

Jan 24, 2016
    Arkansas, USA
    Thank you. The Tablo dvr was one that showed up when I did a Google search. I did see they offered one that had 4 tuners (that's great) and it looked like it offered remote streaming over the Internet if you paid a monthly fee. Not exactly what I was looking for but so far is the closest I have found. Maybe I will send them an email and suggest they make a dvr that does what I am looking for. In the early 2000s, i called dish network and suggested a portable tv with a built in hard drive, a year later they started selling the pocket dish. I used that thing for probably about 8 years.

4. grover517

grover517 AllStar

Sep 29, 2007
    Welcome. The built in ability to stream outside the home "for free", including LIVE broadcasts from the Recast was one other reason I chose it over others. I used to offload content all the time years ago when I had a robust ReplayTV setup in our house (5 of them) but I found that tiresome and time consuming. So I added a stand alone Sling box to the setup and found nirvana! From ReplayTV OTA to DirecTV and now back to a Recast. I feel like I have gone full circle. Old school process with newer tech. Things change, yet they stay the same.